Boot Lip Protector - Recommendations :)

999pooch

Looking for recommendations from anyone who has purchased a boot lip protector, either plastic ABS or Stainless steel.

It will be going on a new Passat Alltrack, but these things are fairly generic, so looking for a website or manufacturer that provides a good solid product at the right price :)

I'm looking for a boot lip protector for my Yeti and came across a recommendation for this company in the Yeti forum.

Mines yet to arrive, but feedback in the thread appears positive.

Company: http://www.rearguards.co.uk/

Yeti thread / feedback: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/406731-facelift-yeti-rear-bumper-protector/?p=4677193

• Like 1

This topic's been covered several times before on Briskoda. Rearguards.co.uk are excellent. I've had three - silver on my previous Octy, matt black on OH's red VW Up (looks good with the full glass tailgate) and now "carbon weave effect" on my black pearl Octy VRS. Best mate fitted on to his white Yeti having seen our cars.

• Like 1

I've got one fitted to my Octavia estate from that site and it's earned its keep protecting the bumper from scuffs with a pram constantly going in and out of the boot.

Only problem I had is that the adhesive strip isn't doing a good job and has lifted on one side. Anyone got any tips how to remove and re-attach?

drw8 - I think it says in the instructions from Rearguards that it is possible, but difficult. IIRC they mention applying gentle heat, but don't take my word for it! I suggest giving them a call.

Maybe use the method for removing badges? Dental floss, but you'd need to combine several very long strands and be very patient, with a lot of cleaning up. To re-attach, a very good match for the 3M double sided tape is in B&Q/Screwfix, etc - I've used Unibond's "No more nails" brand for number plates, etc.

Good luck.

The 3M is best when the surface is REALLY clean, meths is excellent for this. Also ambient temperature needs to be pushing 20C, high teens at least. Perfect British summer heat. Though I fitted the latest one when it was only around 10C, and it's there for keeps.

IPA you can get an aerosol can with a small applicator tube that you can get under the rear guard and spray it in http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-isopropyl-alcohol-200ml-re87u to break down the adhesive - it will also be good for cleaning prior to re-application of the rear guard. As said above preparation is key to getting a good long lasting bond from your adhesive -any wax, dirt or polish residue will weaken it.

And another vote for RGM Rearguards -their products are better than OEM.

Edited by greenstripe

Cheers guys, have fired off an email to them to check compatibility with the B8 Alltrack.

Hopefully they have the Stainless one, as the Alltrack has quite a bit of Silver / Chrome trim :)

If not, the ABS "silver" is a very good finish. They also have "brushed alloy".  The stainless steel might need care when fitting, to avoid folding and ruining, but rearguards can advise. There's plenty of flexibility with the ABS ones, so no risk of breaking them when fitting.