Saab 9-3 Aero 1.9 TTiD Convertible

Phil-E

Not been around here for a while guys. So while I'm here I thought I'd update this thread.

Had a bit of a nightmare with the car late last year but hopefully all sorted now.

I was getting nervous about the potentially hazardous swirl flaps that these engines have. I'm sure you've heard of them before (BMW had major issues with them!).

So I found someone who came recomended through one of the Saab groups on Facebook who would get the inlet manifold off, remove and blank them.

Long story short is he made a right pigs ear of it. Major boost leaks, coolant leaks, missing bolts etc.

He basically tried to glue the holes up! He then ignored us and left us high and dry.

We were then due to be driving to Germany with the car a week later and managed to get it booked in somewhere else (JMW Motorsport Developments in Doncaster to be exact).

He knew exactly what he was doing and got it all sorted.

We then had a couple of "mini-breakdowns" on the way over- once in Folkestone just a few miles from our Hotel and again in Dunkirk. We kept loosing all power - not able to maintain speed and the engine sounding very gruff. A fault code scan traced this back to the MAP sensor and with the help of Google translate managed to buy a can of carb cleaner from a parts shop. The sensor was full of crud after the manifold having been off and the massive boost leak etc. All good on that front.

Had a lovely holiday and on our way back about an hour off the Eurotunnel a flurry of faults started appearing on the dash (ESP failure, ABS failure, Airbag failure, Power steering failure, Headlight leveling failure and lastly "Battery not charging make a safe stop").

Battery was dead and alternator also dead.

Got recovered, spent a night in a little French village, mechanic said couldn't fix, got a ferry home just us and the dog and left the car.

5 weeks later it was delivered back to us (still broken) where we had to push it 1/2 a mile home as the lorry couldn't get down our street. Was in the bad books with the other half- it's a bloody heavy car!

New battery, refurb kit for the alternator and a new battery terminal later (the old terminal was goosed which has forced the alternator to work double time to just generate more power since it was all being wasted heating up the terminal and melting the plastic!) and it's all good.

I also fitted a new seat heater pad in that time as it stopped working as the element had burnt out.

So touch wood it's fine now.

Weather getting nice so the roof has been down a few times!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

While I'm lingering around thought I would give a further update.

We moved to Germany in May.

MOT expired in June so it went in for it's TÜV test (German MOT).

Passed with flying colours and no advisories. These are only done every two years too :)

Took all the documentation to the city council to register the car (Everyone goes in person to the office with their number plates in hand when they have a new TUV or to re-register the car etc since the plate has little discs on that indicate the TUV status etc).

After a bit of faffing around (Germans love their paperwork!) it now has a German number plate and told DVLA it's been exported etc.

Bought the winter tyres while they're still cheap (legal requirement here).

On Friday it's going for a new track rod end and wheel alignment.

Then Saturday I'm driving down to the Nurburgring to meet a few people from here that are going over for their annual pilgrimage :)

IMG_20180707_114931.jpg

IMG_20180902_110120.jpg

• Like 3

Correct. Paderborn.

We have family here and just up the road in Bielefeld.

It's been a challenge but we're enjoying it. We were getting sick of the lack of respect and responsibility in the UK. The streets are clean here and everyone looks after their house/garden/street etc.

It's certainly tested my German skills but I'm getting there. Luckily I work with a load of Germans so speak German most of the day which helps.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Phil-E said:

t's certainly tested my German skills but I'm getting there. Luckily I work with a load of Germans so speak German most of the day which helps.

Well, that's been my experience too. If you tell Germans (and Austrians) that you're trying to learn to speak better German they will be actively supportive.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 06/09/2018 at 13:53, kevberlin said:

Phil,

Good move.

We are staying near to Blankeheim and will be at the Nürburgring over the weekend for DTM.

Germany is a great place to be.

Only just seen this. We had a great time at the ring. Although I didn't actually do any laps. We had a nice day out to a local castle (Burg Eltz- I've been before- definitely worth a visit).

We are also considering a second car now. But has to either be petrol or a Euro6 diesel.

There are plans from next year to only allow Euro5 and higher diesels into city centres and from the year after only Euro6 and higher. The Saab is unfortunately Euro4 :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil-E said:

Only just seen this. We had a great time at the ring. Although I didn't actually do any laps. We had a nice day out to a local castle (Burg Eltz- I've been before- definitely worth a visit).

We are also considering a second car now. But has to either be petrol or a Euro6 diesel.

There are plans from next year to only allow Euro5 and higher diesels into city centres and from the year after only Euro6 and higher. The Saab is unfortunately Euro4 :(

the bizar thing is, my 17y/o octy that spits fire will still be allowed in! lol...