Running in TSI engines

Rainmaker

I'm picking my new Octavia vrs up on friday:biggrin: great advice mr rainmaker

On 17/08/2016 at 14:22, Rainmaker said:

I absolutely recommend the highest octane you can get your hands on, and to keep using it from day one. My S3 was handed over with £5 of 95 RON (oh so generous) in the tank, but the Tesco (and a Shell) are directly opposite the dealership. As such mine got brimmed with M99 straight away. I did experiment a little with Costco 97, but the car felt flatter and was definitely more hesitant and slower to pick up. Idle and low down torque isn't as good on lower octane fuel, and when you're asking for 'everything' top end (for example a fast overtake) you will find the car simply throws up its hands and dithers if you're on lower octane fuel. 

When mine was taken into the body shop, they 'very kindly' ran it low on fuel and then added £10 of Asda's finest... :(  I'll give it its due, the MPG wasn't bad - but mostly because it was basically having a tantrum because of 'falling' from 99. The engine was literally flat, lethargic and practically refused to work. I'm being a little dramatic of course, but trust me the difference between 99 and 95 is night and day. The car just doesn't like it at all. Bear in mind this makes sense, as you'll have spent a few tanks having the ECU advance the ignition to suit the new higher quality fuel. Suddenly you dump in 95 and the ECU 'panics' and retards the timing into the safety zone to prevent any damage to the head. 

Going the other way (95 or 97 > 99) is a bit more gradual and nowhere near as instantly noticeable. You'll feel a bit more grunt low down very quickly, but it's only really over the course of the tank (or two) that you sort of realise that the car is very willing, pulls hard from low down and gives you its all without hesitation at the top end. You will also see MPG rise over the next couple of tanks. In other words, it DOES make a huge difference, but not in a way where you fill up and then your eyes fall out of your head immediately. :D 

Picking my Octavia vrs up on fri, first petrol car in 12 years :biggrin:. Great advice mr rainmaker, what about bedding in the discs and pads? Any wisdom most appreciated...

Congratulations @p5stokes! In a way I'd have preferred the Octy for the LSD and manual box. No special advice really. Don't go mad on them for the first few hundred miles, but that said once everything's up to temp I personally do like to do a few hardish stops. Not emergency stops, but certainly enough to get them working so they don't die of boredom. :biggrin: A few hard-but-not-ridiculous stops will help bed them in, but as I said don't overdo it.

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Congratulations @p5stokes! In a way I'd have preferred the Octy for the LSD and manual box. No special advice really. Don't go mad on them for the first few hundred miles, but that said once everything's up to temp I personally do like to do a few hardish stops. Not emergency stops, but certainly enough to get them working so they don't die of boredom. :biggrin: A few hard-but-not-ridiculous stops will help bed them in, but as I said don't overdo it.

Thanks mate just got to hope weathers dry! Not nice waiting all this time! Then handover day it's pisisting down.....

• Like 1

Picked up mine this morning in Ayr. Plssed down or 50 limits over half the way home. Petrol with the DSG, ACC and Lane Assist made it a much easier drive home. Using paddles to change down every so often and swapping between D & S was slick as you like. 418 miles done. Avoided the M6 so plenty of variation.

• Like 1

In regard to running in, I'm quite happy to follow the guide but on occasion the wife will drive the car.  If I run her through the contents of page 1, she will look at me like I just landed from mars.  From her point of view, we're paying a lot of money for something and when it first arrives, you have to do what now?!  

So the question is, will me following the guide for 70% of the use be enough?  She's unlikely to ever floor it, she's not that kind of driver and any long journeys, would be mostly me driving.

1 minute ago, dg360 said:

In regard to running in, I'm quite happy to follow the guide but on occasion the wife will drive the car.  If I run her through the contents of page 1, she will look at me like I just landed from mars.  From her point of view, we're paying a lot of money for something and when it first arrives, you have to do what now?!  

So the question is, will me following the guide for 70% of the use be enough?  She's unlikely to ever floor it, she's not that kind of driver and any long journeys, would be mostly me driving.

You'll be fine. Most manufacturers no longer advocate any kind of running in, simply saying drive it as normal. So long as your wife isn't outright abusing the car it'll be perfectly ok. The advice on stretching the engine fairly slowly and being mechanically sympathetic will always do you well, but nowadays when was the last time you heard of actual engine wear killing a car? Don't worry about it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've driven 350 of the 500mile recommendation from the service manual.... My right foot is becomming ever so impatiant. I must admit i did stamp on it a little but held off before the red line. For those who have yet to collect thier 220 Superb and are upset it doesn't come from the factory with the Sound Aktor installed like it will on such cars as the VRS / GTI, You will be pleasently suprise by how much of the Engine you hear above 50% throttle. The superb is so incredably quiet under most driving conditions, you can really tune into the induction/Turbo noises when you push on. Im not saying its intrusive... Its just... Satisfying. I used to drive a Mondeo with simular power. Ford use a Symposer, this is driven by vacuum pressure and actuates a diaphragm. Essencially an AIR DRIVER speaker. The noise in then fed into the cabin. The Superb it would seem, has no tricks up its sleeve, Just a subtle roar from time to time.

Sorry to go off topic... Ive only had the car two day and still in the honeymoon period.....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Off topic but I have a question. Does anyone have the issue of high fuel consumption with the 1.8 TSI (manual) in S3. My car has been run in using the instruction from Rainmaker but afer 12,000 km (7,500 miles) it is averaging around 9,5-9,8 l/100km around town and around 9,0 l/100 km on the motorway. Will it go down eventually?

7 minutes ago, buni14s said:

Off topic but I have a question. Does anyone have the issue of high fuel consumption with the 1.8 TSI (manual) in S3. My car has been run in using the instruction from Rainmaker but afer 12,000 km (7,500 miles) it is averaging around 9,5-9,8 l/100km around town and around 9,0 l/100 km on the motorway. Will it go down eventually?

If you pull the paddle on the right, the car will move to 2nd gear... :D Just kidding. Around town the figures are about right for winter, especially if you only do short journeys and/or there's a lot of slowing and then accelerating again.  The motorway figure though? That's very low. I will see 7.8L/100km fairly quickly, and once the car's properly warmed up it soon goes to 7l/100km or better. That's at 70mph (112kph). Driving much faster (eg 90mph/144kph or above) will see that fall by a few mpg though. 

What temperatures are you driving in at the moment? What type of driving exactly? How do you drive personally - are you moderate on the throttle, rarely using brakes (lifting off the throttle instead, far in advance); or do you just press 'Go' and grin? What fuel are you using? Have you checked the oil level (with a warm engine) lately? Tyre pressures (try 38psi / 2.62 bar)? 

EDIT: Sorry I got interrupted while replying to you. I forgot you said 1.8 manual. We don't get the 1.8 TSI in the UK. You should in that case get even better consumption than the 220 (for example). Try using more generous revs in 1st and 2nd gear (around 2,500 or 3,000) and then changing up fairly quickly thereafter. Keep it in a high gear and aim to have your revs at or below 2,000rpm while cruising at a steady speed. Lower is better. Make sure you check tyre pressures, oil etc first as they could be the issue. Use >98 RON fuel is possible, but it's not essential.

Edited by Rainmaker

• 1 month later...

Some guy just stated that buying a TSI engine is a no-go.

Coming from a V6 Audi at one point of time I had the same assumption.

But the thing that has suprised me the most about my S3 is the engine.

And suprise suprise, the engine 110kw 1.4 TSI.

Accelerates enough, even in full capacity, does not eat the fuel. Essentially, I will never buy a TDI for city purposes ever again.

And it´s fairly simple, I live in Estonia, meaning that ca 6 months from a year I will start driving with cold engine and head straight into slow traffic.

Just calculate how much of a difference money wise it will make. I think its considerable.

I am not saying that TDI is a bad engine, no, it´s not. But really do take a serious consideration what engine should be used where.

And the second thing is that modern TSI-s have gone a long way when you take a look, where it all started.

So, make a decent and complete analysis and then decide, what engine is the best for you.

Simple fact is that they both are really good, it all depends on the environment you plan to use it in.

Cheers.

Indrek. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

^^^ Which is why the 1.4 TSI / TFSI's are no more, none will be sold to be first registered in the UK after August 2018.

Gone, kaput, replaced with TSI's with GPF's and WLTP figures that could be reproduced under retesting if needed.

Co2 g/km figures that are supposed to be believed even if in vehicles without all the seats occupied or the boot full.

Edited by Offski

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:11, Offski said:

^^^ Which is why the 1.4 TSI / TFSI's are no more, none will be sold to be first registered in the UK after August 2018.

Gone, kaput, replaced with TSI's with GPF's and WLTP figures that could be reproduced under retesting if needed.

Co2 g/km figures that are supposed to be believed even if in vehicles without all the seats occupied or the boot full.

Most manufacturers are standardising on a limited range of engines for the new regime. It is not just a VW thing.

Edited by Gerrycan

^^^ Indeed they are,

and dropping engines as required to get the WLTP results from those they have that can.

VW Group is the 2nd biggest car manufacturer in the world though and while others have their WLTP Testing and Approval VW Group are still messing about saying a lack of Engineers and the likes while they have actually punted suppliers while the suppliers were sick of VW Group.   Vorsprung Durch Technik, blame anyone never your Management.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/wltp 

Maybe Engineers and Development Technicians like their freedom and prefer no arrest warrants for them in the USA.

VW struggles to meet WLTP standards because of skills shortage.mhtml

Edited by Offski

• 2 months later...

What's the best way to apply the info in the very useful inital post but using the DSG? Manually change gears for first 600(!) miles or will just keeping it in 'normal' mode and using D over S stop the acceleration redlining?

Also after how long do you recommend before enabling sport mode?

Just put it in D and drive, use S if you think it is needed, if you are in the UK you are not going to be doing much over 80 mph anyway are you?

You will only red line it if you are flooring the accelerator, so maybe just do not do that for a few hundred miles.

Run in the brakes and tyres and suspension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...