Amundsen MIB STD2 infotainment system with Android in Superb II

As some of you have probably realized I'm crazy about converting factory radio / navigation into Android tablet. To be more detailed: in adding Android tablet functionality into factory radio / navigation system. First time I made in in my Superb II MY12 with Columbus. Second time I added this feature to Bolero in my Fabia III. And now I have adopted Amundsen MIB STD2 infotainment system (from new Yeti) to be used in the same Superb (I was a bit tired with Columbus) and equipped wit with Android 4.4.4 module.

Disadvantage 1 - you have to change gateway (as this system has address 5F which cannot be coded in old gateway)

Disadvantage 2 - you have to find somebody who will take care of Component Protection which is not so common yet

Disadvantage 3 - you have to buy SD card with maps (goodbye old good days of updating maps at no cost in Columbus)

Disadvantage 4 - no climatronic visualisation

Disadvantage 5 - no CD/DVD reader

Advantage 1 - something new in the old car :)

Advantage 2 - it has built-in bluetooth

Advantage 3 - reverse camera can be connected without any adapters

Advantage 4 - you can probably activate and use MirrorLink/AndroidAuto (probably as I have not checked it yet)

And it's way easier to extend it with Android table funcionality comparing to old Columbus.

I will post some pictures and videos next week.

• Like 2

Navigation works with no issues:

a36de6fddbeafedf5e8389c22b129d7c.jpg

Media Player:

5a1ddccabf3470a2a8660605afdb06e7.jpg

Radio (DAB+)

60d63c23198c90c98c645e5172f33cc1.jpg

ANDROID :)

1d8514fa10678e3fbfede517876c879b.jpg

Smartlink is not active (at least yet) :(

c6f4e489c48c527b3479ccfaf10da063.jpg

Voice commands work OK

3e240e067e0b7bce5957df1ae6633d5e.jpg

Bluetooth HFP works OK

8448a2ad402855131b3718da1bfcc914.jpg

Issues to be solved:

1. SmartLink activation

2. Climatronic visualisation

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As some of you have probably realized I'm crazy about converting factory radio / navigation into Android tablet. To be more detailed: in adding Android tablet functionality into factory radio / navigation system. First time I made in in my Superb II MY12 with Columbus. Second time I added this feature to Bolero in my Fabia III. And now I have adopted Amundsen MIB STD2 infotainment system (from new Yeti) to be used in the same Superb (I was a bit tired with Columbus) and equipped wit with Android 4.4.4 module.

Disadvantage 1 - you have to change gateway (as this system has address 5F which cannot be coded in old gateway)

Disadvantage 2 - you have to find somebody who will take care of Component Protection which is not so common yet

Disadvantage 3 - you have to buy SD card with maps (goodbye old good days of updating maps at no cost in Columbus)

Disadvantage 4 - no climatronic visualisation

Disadvantage 5 - no CD/DVD reader

Advantage 1 - something new in the old car :)

Advantage 2 - it has built-in bluetooth

Advantage 3 - reverse camera can be connected without any adapters

Advantage 4 - you can probably activate and use MirrorLink/AndroidAuto (probably as I have not checked it yet)

And it's way easier to extend it with Android table funcionality comparing to old Columbus.

I will post some pictures and videos next week.

can't wait to read this in detail and see what you did to your Superb MKII as i would be looking to do the same as was thinking if anyone else out there had looked at doing something like this

• 4 weeks later...

Hi pab567,

congratulations to that retrofit. Good message at all that it is possible to make that PQ-MIB work in good old cars. :)

I'currently working on the same project with fitting an Amundsem MIB STD2 (5L0 035 680 A) into a Skoda Octavia 2 FL year 2011.

I've already installed a new CAN gateway 7N0 907 530 BG to get 5F access.

I need to solve component protection and MirrorLink activation. Do you know how to enable that feature? Why do you have "SmartLink"? Do you have a newer device or software?

Do you have a sound system? Is it working with that radio?

I also have a backup camera High installed, want to feed the video signal to the radio via NavLinkz AC-RGB-13HI RGB to FBAS converter. Are you using the same?

Regards,

Micha

5L0035680A is Amundsen, not Columbus.

For component protection you need a special hardware patch - PM mee for details. Just keep in mind that radio you buy should NOT have CP message on the screen otherwise first you have to clear it.

I have never seen 5L035680A units with MirrorLink - there was always SmartLink present. What is the SW version you have? And pls keep in mind that you need to enable MirrorLink/Smartlink prior to applying patch - after patching no actovation is possible.

I don't have SoundSystem - do you have one in your car? If yes, what is the HW/SW of your SS?

I have low camera so can't help you with high camera :(

I have the factory sound system of Blaupunkt

Address 47: Sound System (R12)       Labels: 5K0-035-456.clb
   Part No SW: 3T0 035 456     HW: 3T0 035 456
   Component: KonzernAmp10K H06 0342  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: BP218219827412
   ASAM Dataset: EV_AudioVerst10KanalBNO2 A01003
   ROD: EV_AudioVerst10KanalBNO2.rod
   VCID: 6ED45697B184A24EBF-803A

No fault code found.

I hope the radio will work with it... Will give it a try tomorrow and come back here later.

SW version of my 5L035680A is 0138 (H05).

• 3 months later...

Hi together,

I would like to take the opportunity of expressing my heartfelt thanks to pab567 who prepared me a brand new Skoda Amundsen II device 5L0035680E to work in my Skoda Octavia 2 FL with sound system 3T0035456.

We had a great contact for more than three months now. Finally, pab567 managed it to get the device working with this (****ty) sound amplifier. :biggrin:

I'm very happy with my new Amundsen II radio that has really all features enabled. See for yourself how it works...

It is fun to have a new infotainment module with a modern user interface in the good "old" car. :cool:

Last issue to solve:

We do not get reverse camera picture and OPS display on one screen. This worked great with old RNS510. We're working on this...

Beside that, everything is working fine, also MFA integration.

BR,

Micha

New look and feel, interieur of Skoda Octavia 2 FL RS

SAM_8476.jpg

New USB socket mounted in storage compartment

SAM_8473.jpg

Navigation works fine...

SAM_8489.jpg

DAB tuner...

SAM_8454.jpg

Media player from SD, USB, BT Audio works like a charm

SAM_8460.jpg

Voice control works great (much faster and better than with RNS510)

SAM_8464.jpg

SmartLink is enabled...

SAM_8469.jpg

This is how it looks after coupling with an Android phone...

SAM_8483.jpg

Google maps of Android Auto

SAM_8478.jpg

Some system information - yes, everything is just state of the art ;)

SAM_8485.jpg

Edited by bike-micha
  • Like 2

Good news! :biggrin: With a new PDC controller, reverse camera picture and OPS are displayed on one screen again...

The newest SW revision is needed on the PDC unit. I bought a brand new module for my Octavia 2 RS and it looks like this:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist
Control Module Part Number: 1Z0 919 475 G
  Component and/or Version: PARKHILFE 8K  H06 0011
           Software Coding: 318102
            Work Shop Code: WSC 12345
                      VCID: 4586C93BC4B241162E-8010

Advanced Identification/FAZIT
     Serial number: 28261636201698
     Identification: ATW-001
     Revision: --H06---
     Date: 29.12.16
     Manufacturer number: EB02
     Test stand number: 0067
Flash Status
     Programming Attempts(application): 1/0/0
     Successful Attempts(application): 1/0/0
     Flash Date: 10.02.18
Misc.
     Hardware number: 7N0 919 475
     Workshop System Name: J446
     ASAM Dataset: EV_EPHVA18SKxxx0000
     ASAM Dataset Revision: 002001
VCDS Info:
       Labels: 1Z0-919-475-V2.clb
       ROD: EV_EPHVA18SKxxx0000.rod

My previous software revision was 0005. I replaced the complete module, however, flashing the module would be also possible. At least the HW revision is still the same (H06).

Now, really everthing is working! :biggrin:

OPS display on the left with high line reverse camera:

SAM_8551.jpg

After finger convergence, this menu emerges:

SAM_8552.jpg

You can switch back to OPS only, hide OPS, mute PDC beepers, and control camera picture colors...

Edited by bike-micha
Picture annotations
  • Like 1

Love it!

I have Amundsen from pab567 also, looking now for PDC module working correctly.

@bike-micha can you show me on video how Android Auuto and Smart link works on your device (which phone you use)?

And also how did you connect USB port (nice place for it)

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

• Like 1

In order to have one of these newer style units; did you only require the new gateway, parking controller and Amundsen itself (with appropriate coding and content protection resolutions)?

Did the instrument cluster need touching at all?

If it's only those 3, temping future upgrade!

@Solarstorm i have OIIFL (Elegance) 2009 installation was p&p plus additional coding in 5f (thanks pab567!).

i had Originally from factory Columbus and BT premium installed so i already had MIC na GPS antena (need to be replaced to version with DAB).

the OPS module is only needed to have on Reverse camera Visible car with parking sensors. Now i see knly view feom camera but as @mike-micha you can see on his creen that on reverse camera ther is a pictogram of the car.

3687FCF9-F844-415E-BB29-21E810BC7FD9.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, i belive also i sold my bt module as you do not need it anymore and you can use that cable for DAB antenna here again idea from pab567, olny you nedd fakra cable to connect from new radio to cables below passanger seat and make connection using cmall cable in big connector of BT module, not sure how it is if you already have radio woth DAB mayby it os not needed then.

On 12.2.2017 at 17:13, pab567 said:

Great news! What is your Gateway?

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels: None
   Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 BG    HW: 7N0 907 530 AN
   Component: J533  Gateway H56 1671  
   Revision:   H56       Serial number: 201215F1000502
   Coding: 352302
   Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
   VCID: 76E47EF7C1D49A8E77-8022

15 hours ago, pab567 said:

First of all, in majority of the cases Gateway does NOT have to be raplaced - if your Gateway des not support 5F you simply mark 37, 56 and 77 as installed. In order to connect to infotainment unit you manually enter address 5F in VCDS... that's all...

I cannot confirm that you can manually enter address 5F. At least it was not working with my previous CAN module 7N0 907 530 H (HW: 1K0 907 951, H42 SW 1620).

I've read in some forum that you need HW: 7N0 907 530 AN that could be flashed to BG sw part number. This one definitely allows 5F access as well as holds the 5F address in the installation list.

On 13.2.2017 at 23:07, siemi1 said:

Love it!

I have Amundsen from pab567 also, looking now for PDC module working correctly.

@bike-micha can you show me on video how Android Auuto and Smart link works on your device (which phone you use)?

And also how did you connect USB port (nice place for it)

I don't know if a video is really needed. First, I can tell a bit what are my settings:

-Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F, klte) with LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)

-Android Auto app installed from Play Store

-Connect the phone to the USB port via an original Samsung data cable (NOT every cable is working!)

-Goto "SmartLink" menu after connecting the phone, press androidAuto -> it will connect automatically and show a kind of installation wizard

Regarding the USB port:

If you prefer the easiest way, you can buy the complete cabling set including the socket at AliExpress: https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32748549653.html

However, I found it quite expensive and AliExpress has long delivery times...

You can also manually build it for low cost:

-You need to buy the combined AUX/USB-Socket with additional two 5V/GND pins for USB power supply. Check part number 5G0035222F for the complete socket, or 5Q0035726G for the USB part only. You can buy those on eBay.

-You need the USB cable with the yellow plug to the radio and the green plug to the socket. You can buy this here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/131876163752

Please note that this set includes the wrong socket, just throw it away or look for cable only on eBay.

-Afterwards, you need to connect the two power supply pins at the sockets to pin C.3 and C.4 of the radio quadlock. See the pinout attached:

Pinbelegung.png

If find the place for the USB socket quite nice, although there is not much space behind the storage compartment for the cabling. You need to be careful when installing, otherwise you break the green USB plug.

At the storage compartment, the phone is in a top position for best reception (GPS, mobile network). That was the main reason why I didn't installed the socket in the glovebox as it is usually done for MDI.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm still very happy with the new infotainment... It is fun! :cool:

Edited by bike-micha
  • Like 1