Knocking noise on rear suspension / damper / see pictures!

Hello all,

I am here to get some info that I know most of you are very good at this. I would like to understand and anticipate what type of problem my car has now...

SInce last week I noticed a shocking noise on the back, from the drivers side. Specially when driven over small (minimal!) bumps and even slow speed. Today with good light i checked the dampers (Shock absorbers) and I noticed that back left (noise) was different from the back right (no noise). Look at the pictures and please tell me if you see a problem here:

THIS ONE IS THE BACK RIGHT:

Normal rear damper

THIS ONE HAS NOISE AND IS THE BACK LEFT (DRIVERS SIDE):

Noise in rear damper

Do you guys have any idea what the problem is and how to solve it ?

thanks

Tosko

Drivers side damper & bump stop are worn out.  The passengers side won't be too far behind.  Replace both sides (damper & bump stop).

It's not a hard job if you have a basic tool set and some vehicle stands.  Bank on 30 minutes per side and 15 minutes at the end to drink beer and gaze in wonder at your handywork.

If you drive on salted roads I would also have a good look at the rear springs (corrosion, ride height) and consider changing them at the same time (also easy)

The drivers side rear bump stop on my octavia is the same as yours,ive just ordered a pair of bump stops & covers (as one of my covers is split) for £20 delivered,i have no noise with mine & the shocks & springs are fine so im just replacing the bump stops on both sides,as Brad says id check your rear springs incase one is broken & thats your noise.

The drivers side rear bump stop on my octavia is the same as yours,ive just ordered a pair of bump stops & covers (as one of my covers is split) for £20 delivered,i have no noise with mine & the shocks & springs are fine so im just replacing the bump stops on both sides,as Brad says id check your rear springs incase one is broken & thats your noise.

That might be okay for your situation,But the photo's above show the one shock is leaking.Which will slow eat away at the bump stop.so replacing just the stop and cover isn't correct for op.

Hello all,

i am very glad for the feedback I got from you. Thanks a lot everyone ! This forum rocks !

I went to a workshop today after reading your posts and just by looking at the car the service technician said to replace the shock absorbers on both sides.  It will cost me between 240 and 290 pounds labor and spares. (spares 78 pounds each absorber, maximum)

I will also ask him to check, and if necessary, replace the springs.  I am sure they are also rusted. Here in sweden they put salt on the streets in winter and it is quite an ocean atmosphere cause we are very close to the water.

Hopefully this will remove the noise and I have a safe car again.

Cheers

tosko

Get some Bilstein B4 (OEM spec damper) off ebay.  They are around GBP70-90 per PAIR.  As mentioned above, the bump stop & cover is about GBP20.  It's a 1hr job.  Maybe 1.5hrs if the mechanic only has one arm.  

I have no idea what the hourly rate is in Sweden but if he's charging you more than 1.5hrs he's having a lend.

Aftermarket OEM spec rear springs such as Lesjofors, Sachs or KYB run at about GBP60-100 a pair.  Replacement would add 30 minutes per side to the job.  I'd just do it as your vehicle is 2005 and they will be a bit sagged.

Looks like the noise was probably just from the loose plastic dust cover rattling around when you went over bumps. If the shocks are misting more than just lightly, then it's probably a good time to get them replaced.