Using a Yeti for Towing

Moodyfan

Our Elddis 'van was MTPLM rated at 1425kg, which gave 91% with my 2.0l 140 4x4 DSG.  Slightly over the recommended 85%, but not my first tow by any means; always aware of the theoretical figures but never a hint of doubt about the stability of the rig, driven sensibly, or the Yeti's ability to pick the load out of a muddy field. 

... still practice putting the DSG into manual for going downhill ...

Yes! 

Nevertheless, I'm not sure about 1800kg, including a live load :think:

Thank you all for your help and advice.

The trailer (which I haven't bought yet) weighs 767kg, and is rated for 1600kg gross.

The horse weighs 550kg and will be travelling on her own as it is a single trailer.

I am not expecting to do much off road work, going to local riding school etc. and for hacks.

Yes, I had a tow bar fitted to my Yeti last year. 

Only problem is that I haven't towed with it yet :D !!

Spent a fortune on my trailer and bought a new Yeti - and not been out with it.  Floored by various personal problems and laminitus :p

Love the car, its 170bhp auto 4x4.  I am sure that this powerful animal will tow my Connie in my Indespension trailer, perfectly.  However, I only tow one in a lightweight trailer and so far, never had a problem in 17 years with my 2.00 Primera and not expecting any with the Yeti.  But I am very careful and still practice putting the DSG into manual for going downhill - waiting for the time we can actually take the pony out.

Hope the laminitis is sorted soon, it's misery for all. Good luck

Trailer weighs 767 kg and horse weighs 525kg. Add on a few kg for hay etc and will be just over the 1300kg.

Well within the capability of a Yeti, just don't go for a 1.2 tsi as that has a lower towing rating, is 2wd only I believe and will struggle pulling the trailer, better to go for a 2.0 tdi, either 140 or 170 bhp, or 150 bhp if you opt for a new one with the latest generation engine.

Ian

Hope the laminitis is sorted soon, it's misery for all. Good luck

Thank you - horrific - but seems fine now.  Except that his turnout 'patch' is very green at present. Unfortunately, he is lazy and doesn't run around in the field.  I don't like the horse walker very much (its a machine guys!!) but it serves a purpose.  No more boring than the gym and better than standing in a stable for hours.  Fortunately, he can't argue, so on he goes!!  Looking very reproachful I have to say :D

• 11 months later...
On 22/09/2016 at 07:26, BillBham said:

Yeti SE 140bhp 4x4 63 plate

Swift twin axle caravan mptm 1850kg

No power issues on hills such as woodhead pass

No stability issues on any road including motorways ( but I am careful to drive to weather n road conditions and maintain a sensible speed).

Hello sorry I'm abit late on this topic but I'm interested in what you said you were towing ? Looks like a fairly heavy caravan and you are over the 100% rule that's not my issue I'm considering around the same weights for the caravan and I really don't see a problem 

but I'm interested on how the yeti handles and I've just looked the swift is one of the models I'm considering  Would very grateful of any thoughts you have ive towed my sons car transporter and it feels brill 

thanks Bigfoot 

Hi read this with Interest,

I Bought , A "Innovan XC  Caravan, with a few extras, Its Tare capacity is  1300 KG Tare connected to my Yeti,

coming down from Toowoomba Qld. Aus. a Mate with Great Towing experience , said "You Don't even know it's there.

As we come down the Range we were close to the bottom and he said what's your speed.

Looked down 130KMph " Nearly shi"t myself.

It's still Great.

Sure Llanigraham will be along to shoot us all down as usual on this, but my experience (and I've been towing for over 30 years without incident, including causing incidents ) has been positive n no issues

regular up n down the M6, usually stay between 50 and 60, very careful about load balancing  and it is all fine, even with coaches zipping past....

so Id say look at the towing capacity of the yeti and if you can, test tow something.

• Thanks 1

Regarding stability issues when towing, another factor to consider is the distance from the towball to the rear axle. The longer the distance then the greater swing out of the ball and that can make a trailer veer and become unstable. Long overhang rears on vehs are not good.

But longer wheel base is a good thing.

We will need to wait a bit longer to see how good a less than 6" longer Karoq is at towing.

Sadly it looks like to have a AWD for towing one it is going to have to be a TDI that anyone gets at launch.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

On 11/09/2017 at 11:34, Gobmax said:

Hi read this with Interest,

I Bought , A "Innovan XC  Caravan, with a few extras, Its Tare capacity is  1300 KG Tare connected to my Yeti,

coming down from Toowoomba Qld. Aus. a Mate with Great Towing experience , said "You Don't even know it's there.

As we come down the Range we were close to the bottom and he said what's your speed.

Looked down 130KMph " Nearly shi"t myself.

It's still Great.

Thanks for your reply it was really interesting for some reason I can't imagine skodas in Aus for some reason ! 

Must be great all that wide open space and those long roads to somewhere 

I'm not sure if I'll ever get there but you never know

thanks

On 11/09/2017 at 19:36, BillBham said:

Sure Llanigraham will be along to shoot us all down as usual on this, but my experience (and I've been towing for over 30 years without incident, including causing incidents ) has been positive n no issues

regular up n down the M6, usually stay between 50 and 60, very careful about load balancing  and it is all fine, even with coaches zipping past....

so Id say look at the towing capacity of the yeti and if you can, test tow something.

Thanks for getting back to me an im I'm sorry for not replying sooner , you have really confirmed what I thought ive been looking around but it's definitely the twin axle I prefer I'm sure it's definitely more stable , like yourself I've had experience with towing and I've been doing it on and off for many years 

but I'm going to do what you suggested of test towing this would be a great idea 

I recently posted on the caravan club forum about my thoughts can you imaging the reaction!!! Ha 

thanks for the info happy towing 

21 hours ago, Dexta Man said:

Regarding stability issues when towing, another factor to consider is the distance from the towball to the rear axle. The longer the distance then the greater swing out of the ball and that can make a trailer veer and become unstable. Long overhang rears on vehs are not good.

Yes I would agree with you and there is the nose weight to factor in too 

which makes the yeti a very good choice 

thanks for replying 

20 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

But longer wheel base is a good thing.

We will need to wait a bit longer to see how good a less than 6" longer Karoq is at towing.

Sadly it looks like to have a AWD for towing one it is going to have to be a TDI that anyone gets at launch.

Yes for sure the 4 wheel drive is a great combo , I'm sure the yeti I've bought is perfect for what I need and will pull a good weight 

as I've long thought the recommended 85% of kerb weight does not really do the modern car justice , loading , stability and tyres are important factors too 

but the Karoo looks good 

thanks for the reply 

2 minutes ago, Bigfoot100 said:

Thanks for the reply and the yeti spotting it's always good to know I think it's the right choice however I was tempted with the superb !:)

As a caravan puller with a superb, I can say even the 1.6TDi is powerful enough to pull a caravan over the alps!