Skoda Emissions Software Update/Increase in Fuel Consumption!

patmufc

Hello, Just wondering if anybody has experience anything smilier to me and could share 

I received my letter from Skoda to have my car remapped which was carried out on July 16th of this year.  After the upgrade i have noticed that the cost of topping up my tank has significantly increased.  

As a Taxi Driver I knew before the upgrade, how much it would take to keep my tank filled per night.  This concern me so i took action and contacted my dealership who upgraded the software in the first place.

They said they could not help and gave me the contact number of Skoda UK who in return rang my local dealer and said to me that if i wanted them to check my car again to see what is wrong, they will charge me for this.  

However i believe this is not fair or right as before the initial upgrade my car fuel economy was a lot more efficient and cheaper to run than what it is now.  

I do not want to be out of pocket!!!!!!!

Has anybody experienced anything similar or knows of any information which could help me

Please share your own experiences 

cheers 

• Like 1

Can you quantify the change in terms of miles per tankful before/after?  I'm sure you've taken into account price changes but it's much clearer to see real differences if you use brim-to-brim refills zeroing the trip meter each time and calculate the miles per gallon from that; rather than just looking at cost.

Taxi & Fleet operators that buy fuel for commercial use are those best placed surely to follow their work and mileage practices & know the seasonal differences and also purchase prices.

There are plenty now noticing differences from 'The Fix', and Skoda UK are going to have to take matters more Seriously as the VW Group are.

As far as the charge for testing or diagnosis that will obviously be refunded when it is proved fuel economy has suffered if you have the records.

Also compensation and expenses will be due to Owners who are wasting Time & Money because of a Cheat needing Recall Actions due to VW dishonesty.

Keep all records and communications,  it will all come out in the wash.

Invoice Skoda for your losses.

I am an a taxi driver who works for myself and have had my Skoda Superb for two years.

I keep the tank full and after i finish my shift each night i would top the fuel tank back up.  Since the remapping i have noticed i am spending £3-4 extra per night than i previously did in the last 19months.  I have taken into account fuel increaseS and road conditions etc..

I am completely aware of my fuel and driving methods but i still believe that since the remapping this is the reason for this increase in cost.

Has this happened to anyone else???

• Like 1

As has already been said you need some firm information, this is not easy to obtain. I'm lucky as my company car has a tracker, which is in turn linked to my company fuel card so there is no doubt as to how much fuel I use over a given mileage. Everything is linked leaving no doubt as to my mpg.

I know you've already said you have taken fuel price increase in to consideration, but 30 litres (half a tank) @ £1.10/litre=£33 refill, or at 1.20/litre=£36, so £3 difference.

Plus if you have 1 or 4 passengers the weight will make a difference, different journeys/routes, longer idling at junctions/lights etc. Lots of small differences all add up.

I don't think you'll get anywhere talking to Skoda with the information you currently have - or rather lack of firm information.

• Like 1

I am an a taxi driver who works for myself and have had my Skoda Superb for two years.

I keep the tank full and after i finish my shift each night i would top the fuel tank back up.  Since the remapping i have noticed i am spending £3-4 extra per night than i previously did in the last 19months.  I have taken into account fuel increaseS and road conditions etc..

I am completely aware of my fuel and driving methods but i still believe that since the remapping this is the reason for this increase in cost.

Has this happened to anyone else???

Sample to small

Details too vague

Fill it, zero the trip, next fill note miles covered. After 10 fills come back with the figures (use same pump and cut off if possible)

I get 550-600 brim-brim fue is up to £1.17/ltr now

Last fill 601 miles 53.43 ltr 

BTW you say remapping, i assume you mean the cheat fix?

Edited by lichfielddriver
  • Like 1

The Fix on your cars is a Remap.  A Re-written map on the ECU is what is done.

See the Thread on Briskoda in the Announcements section where a member recently had their car in for The Fix, and the Technician failed to apply the Remap.

Appreciate the comments written by those trying to help.

I keep the tank filled, and per night i do around 100-150miles.  At the end of my shift i fill it back up again and now it is costing me £3-4 more than before the emission software update.  Everything else i have taken into consideration but this extra cost is still not right.  Therefore i believe the software update is the reason why this is happening.

Generally I was just wondering if anyone who has went and got the emissions software update experienced anything similar???? And if so what actions have they taken with regards to those responsible.  Have they been left out of pocket???

As i have said the dealership wants to charge me to check my car again and i do not feel that i am responsible for this mistake and so therefore should not have to pay to have them fix their problem.  

cheers 

• Like 1

Skoda will take your money, test it, and tell you there's nothing wrong with it.

Unfortunately in my opinion there's nothing you can do as you can't prove there is a 'mistake', or anything whatsoever that needs a fix.

You're better off saving your money and not pay the dealership to look at it.

Quite simple.

Take your car back and ask them to reinstall the original map. They broke it, they put it right.

Then ask yourself why you ever took it in for the recall anyway. The only winners here are Skoda UK.

All we the owners have is potential risk, there are no gains to be had at all.

• Like 2

Quite simple.

Take your car back and ask them to reinstall the original map. They broke it, they put it right.

Then ask yourself why you ever took it in for the recall anyway. The only winners here are Skoda UK.

All we the owners have is potential risk, there are no gains to be had at all.

SPOT ON.

As an owner of a 35 month old Superb that runs like a dream, all I see is risk and no benefit in having the emissions "fix".

It's a no brainer.

• Like 3

Appreciate the comments written by those trying to help.

I keep the tank filled, and per night i do around 100-150miles.  At the end of my shift i fill it back up again and now it is costing me £3-4 more than before the emission software update.  Everything else i have taken into consideration but this extra cost is still not right.  Therefore i believe the software update is the reason why this is happening.

What additional volume (if any) are you filling compared to before? As a taxi driver I presume you're keeping your fuel receipts and they will have the delivered volume on them.

You may be seeing worse fuel economy than before, but it's also the case that any rise in fuel prices will make it look worse than it is if you're just going by the extra cost to refuel. If you want to make any headway with Skoda, you'll need to show that it's using more fuel, not costing more money.

You are wasting money as well the way you fill up..

You are carrying an extra 40 ltrs of fuel every day for no reason thats like a very heavy passenger in your car not paying :D 
Fill tank use the lot then refill SIMPLES  

I use fuelly  and if you did you would be able to see the decrease in MPG and show that it has changed after recall to goto Skoda with

• Like 1

A very heavy passenger is more like my weight of 18 stone plus, not just 5 (34kg approx.).

Remove the spare wheel and save 19KG.

If you get a wrecked tyre you can always get a Taxi to go and collect yours from home..

Times money and if a big payer wants you to drive them 500 miles plus you don't want to be stopping to fill up the tank...

Or be sitting without a spare tyre hundreds of miles from home.

Edited by Offski

• 4 months later...

Hello patmufc, same with me. I had letter after letter, asking me to go and update the software of my Superb. I did it...and how much I regret this now. The fuel consumption had increased significantly. 

• Like 3

On 31 January 2017 at 09:25, peterposh said:

I'd get it remapped by a professional company and join the claim against vag

Re the claim against V A G, there is an awkward twist there in that  a purchase earlier than the 1st Oct 2014 cannot qualify.   From my lawyer  company received today  :-

"There is a cut-off date of 1st October 2014, because this is the date that the law allowing CPUT claims to be brought came into force. We had previously excluded used vehicles from the CPUT claim, but we now consider that a CPUT claim can be made in relation to used vehicles provided they were bought from an approved Volkswagen dealer or with Volkswagen Finance.

We appreciate that many of you receiving this email will not qualify to bring a claim under CPUT. Many of you have contacted us asking for our advice on the actions proposed by other firms. We are not yet convinced of the merits of the other kinds of claim such as “deceit” proposed by other firms. However, we are continuing to hold discussions with these firms in order to identify how best to proceed for people who cannot make a claim under CPUT. We are keen to ensure that all claimants are protected from the risk of having to meet Volkswagen’s costs if the claim is unsuccessful and that if successful, their damages are not swallowed up by lawyers’ fees and costly insurance premiums."

"

^^^ 

You need to clarify with them the words being used.  Do they mean 'Approved Volkswagen Group Dealers'   ie Approved VW, Skoda, SEAT & Audi Dealers.

& VW Finance.

Or do they mean 'Approved Volkswagen Dealers only'?

On 22/09/2016 at 11:07, Wino said:

Can you quantify the change in terms of miles per tankful before/after?  I'm sure you've taken into account price changes but it's much clearer to see real differences if you use brim-to-brim refills zeroing the trip meter each time and calculate the miles per gallon from that; rather than just looking at cost.

Hi I've just had my superb      re-maped and I have noticed that my fuel consumption has risen by18%. When travelling at 50mph in 6th gear it takes a while to get to 60mph 

I used to get 64mpg going to Peterborough (I've done this trip for the last 3 years) now I can only get 51mpg 

NOT GOOD 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, peterposh said:

glad I didn't bother then

Yes now it seems I fighting a loosing battle having spoken to Skoda Uk twice and have spoken to my dealer.  The dealer is going to try and rectify the problem so I'll keep you posted 

WATCH DOG HERE WE COME 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2017 at 19:57, Dave1963 said:

Hi I've just had my superb      re-maped and I have noticed that my fuel consumption has risen by18%. When travelling at 50mph in 6th gear it takes a while to get to 60mph 

I used to get 64mpg going to Peterborough (I've done this trip for the last 3 years) now I can only get 51mpg 

NOT GOOD 

Is yours the 140 or 170? 

If you want to get anywhere with it you'll need to prove it with imperical evidence I.e. fuel receipts showing the increased usage from before etc. 

Going just on the OBC won't suffice. Do you keep a fuel log?