Skoda Emissions Software Update/Increase in Fuel Consumption!

patmufc

Skoda are not going to remove the update on any customer's car, no matter what case you make to them. To do so would mean the manufacturer knowingly rendered a vehicle illegal: it's not going to happen. They're in enough trouble for doing that already, they're being watched and they can't afford a slip up.

What you could hope for is that they will get to the bottom of why your vehicle might be underperforming after the update (if it is actually underperforming). Given that independent test data is now starting to show no ill effects from the update, vehicles that are showing problems on the road are likely to have some latent fault that's been triggered by the update and how the engine is now operated.

If you really think you're better off on the old software, you'll need to find an independent tuner who's willing to roll back the update.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

Skoda are not going to remove the update on any customer's car, no matter what case you make to them. To do so would mean the manufacturer knowingly rendered a vehicle illegal: it's not going to happen. They're in enough trouble for doing that already, they're being watched and they can't afford a slip up.

What you could hope for is that they will get to the bottom of why your vehicle might be underperforming after the update (if it is actually underperforming). Given that independent test data is now starting to show no ill effects from the update, vehicles that are showing problems on the road are likely to have some latent fault that's been triggered by the update and how the engine is now operated.

If you really think you're better off on the old software, you'll need to find an independent tuner who's willing to roll back the update.

The thing is how many more people are having the same problem I've seen some reviews and I'm not on my own my car is only used on motorways that's how I know what it is doing performance wise 

• 9 months later...

I have a Skoda Octavia Estate, 2012 vintage, with a 1.6l Diesel engine.  I've done 91000 miles and had the software update undertaken on 01/08.  I was advised that I would notice no difference in the way the car performs.

However, prior to that I was doing the same trip of 217 miles each way on a fortnightly basis.  According to the cars computer, I regularly averaged 56.4mpg.  This was so consistent, it became the benchmark I worked on for other trips.  Since the software revision, I have done the exact same trip on at least 6 occasions and now find I can't even achieve 50mpg.

Worse, I have just returned today, with two warning lights on (exhaust inspection system, and flashing glow plug light) and the car was in 'limp home' mode.  According to the handbook, it indicates exhaust emissions issues without being specific.  I need to get the error code checked to hopefully pin it down.  

As I'm referring to the displayed mpg rather than pounds in my pocket, I can quantify the difference with some degree of accuracy.

to say I am unhappy is an understatement.....  :(

@BonyTony - the dealer should fix any issues under the trust building measure: http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

At a guess, it'll need a new EGR but should be covered by the above.

After you've had it repaired (in theory for free) and it's running 'normally', then get the fix removed as it'll only cause more problems in the future. As you're in the fens, I might be able to help with the latter.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, langers2k said:

@BonyTony - the dealer should fix any issues under the trust building measure: http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

After you've had it repaired (in theory for free) and it's running 'normally', then get the fix removed as it'll only cause more problems in the future. As you're in the fens, I might be able to help with the latter.

Thank you for that info Langers2k !

I've had it confirmed today that it is indeed the EGR valve that was causing the problem.  (Ironically, but Sod's law I suppose, it was running ok today.)

On my 12 mile run to Kings Lynn I averaged 62mpg with a warning light on.  On the return trip with no warning light, I managed only 52mpg, and in The Fens, it's not because it was uphill!

I guess my next move is to contact Walkers in Kings Lynn as they did the mod....

thanks again! :)

On 28 November 2017 at 08:12, langers2k said:

Thank you for that info Langers2k !

UPDATE.

following another run to Dorset and return, the two warning lights previously mentioned are on again, after being clear for a week.

I've contacted Skoda uk and referred to the http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

I'm delighted to say that my car is now booked into Walkers of King's Lynn for a free diagnostic check, and a free lift back home....  All being well, the car is being sorted on Thursday at Skoda's expense.  Their customer service on this occasion so far, is excellent.    This contrasts sharply with my Mercedes/smart experience when a continually failing 'starternator' resulted in a new engine at 31,000 miles...  Fortunately, the tab of around £7000 was picked up by the AA as   their technician trimmed the existing belt instead of recovering the vehicle.  His 'repair' lasted barely 10 miles!

if you have an issue post software upgrade, contact the emissions team at Skoda UK.

ill keep you posted!

• Like 1

On 5 December 2017 at 17:29, drefaldwyn said:

Naturally it won't be at all biased. 

Drefaldwyn

You can be as cynical as you like about  the trust building measure... http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

All i I can say at this stage is that having brought up my problem with Skoda UK on Monday this week, my car is already back on the road with a new EGR valve, a new gasket, a wash and vac, and a lift home & back, around 12 miles away from my dealer.  This is all at no cost to me, despite my vehicle being 5 years old and with over 90000 miles on the clock.

I've yet to find out if my mpg is back to its previous, but so far, I'm a happy bunny.  Skodas response is in marked contrast to my experience with Mercedes/Smart where my wife's MHD Smart had an issue with broken belts, eventually with a catastrophic failure needing a new engine at 31000 miles.  Their response was 'Foxtrot Oscar'....  I think I know where I'll be spending my money next time I need a vehicle! 

22 minutes ago, BonyTony said:

All i I can say at this stage is that having brought up my problem with Skoda UK on Monday this week, my car is already back on the road with a new EGR valve, a new gasket, a wash and vac, and a lift home & back, around 12 miles away from my dealer.  This is all at no cost to me, despite my vehicle being 5 years old and with over 90000 miles on the clock.

I've heard the same from an Irish Skoda owner - similar ballpark in terms of mileage and age too.   EGR and Fuel injection. Happened pretty quickly after having the "fix" so they had probably had pretty coked up valves already. Dublin car - lots of sitting in traffic with a cold engine before getting to the open road. Very happy with how they were treated (on this occasion!).  

What a shame for them getting panned (palmed off / jerked off), asked for £99 by Dealership staff  for a diagnosis.

Told by Paul Willis CEO VW UK that there are No systemic issues with the fix.

That is the same person that Westminster MP's seemingly thought was a liar just recently.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434714-emmisions-fix-and-rip-off-britain/?page=4 

I often feel that my car's MPG has reduced since the upgrade, but an accurate analysis over about 10,000 miles either side of the upgrade fix show very little difference. I think from my records the reduction is within statistical margins of error.

Pre Update Post Update
Miles 9,769 11,372
Litres 949.96 1118.06
MPG 46.69 46.18

My mpg got better when I had the roll back done.

Takes 10 mins and I'm back months original map again.

I average 47ish mpg my roads are pretty rough and coarse that mpg goes up a lot on the smooth A1 and it runs nice and smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, kwmax said:

Hi does the roll back to original pre fix. inc the deafeat setting?

Yes. The whole point of the update is to remove the separate map used for emissions testing and to make the normal road-use map compliant with emissions regulations.

2 hours ago, kwmax said:

Thanks .is that the shark rollback?

It would be the same for any company offering a rollback of the update if they're using Skoda ECU images. You would probably want to confirm this with any tuner you're talking to about a rollback.

Regarding the so called vag FIX I binned the letter from skoda recalling my vehicle,I went online and seen the CONSISTANT complaints by many people who did get this fix. Poor mpg,egr valves failing,cars going into limp mode,etc etc. The problem is so bad that the vag group cannot source egr valves for months,I never got fix done because my car was running fine and if it ain't broke don't fix it. The way I seen it was if the so called fix was as easy as the vag claim it to be then why fit the cheat device  in the first place?. Of course the vag will deny all knowledge if fixed cars fail and I feel so sorry for people affected by it.

Edited by Errybee
Missed word
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Errybee said:

Regarding the so called vag FIX I binned the letter from skoda recalling my vehicle,I went online and seen the CONSISTANT complaints by many people who did get this fix. Poor mpg,egr valves failing,cars going into limp mode,etc etc. The problem is so bad that the vag group cannot source egr valves for months,I never got fix done because my car was running fine and if it ain't broke don't fix it. The way I seen it was if the so called fix was as easy as the vag claim it to be then why fit the cheat device  in the first place?. Of course the vag will deny all knowledge if fixed cars fail and I feel so sorry for people affected by it.

I had the software update done by Walkers of King’s Lynn on 1st August.  In hindsight, I do recall that my mpg had been getting slightly worse before the ‘fix’ anyway.  I put this down to the fact that my car had already got 91000 miles on the clock.  I knew nothing about EGR valves at the time.

A few weeks after the ‘fix’, my mpg was noticeably worse, I would say almost 20% less, and I then had the issues with warning lights, etc.

i followed a link on the Briskoda website and contacted the “Emissions Team” at Skoda UK.  Within 2 days, my car was booked in at Walkers for a free diagnostic check followed the following day by fitting a new EGR valve.  I did have an extra days delay as a new gasket was also required that was out of stock.

See my earlier post regarding the way Walkers dealt with the issue including free lift home and back, free car wash & vac and free optional courtesy car.

Now, some weeks on after having the EGR & gasket fitted, I can confirm that my mpg is right back to where it was when the car was new, I have more confidence in my vehicle again and I also have a 2 year warranty on emissions related problems, something I didn’t have before!

My guess is that the EGR was due for failure anyway, due to my high mileage.

If you’ve read the history of the ‘emissions scandal’ you will be aware of the reasons for VAG (and other manufacturers) cheating the system, rightly or wrongly.

Your “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” attitude is understandable up to a point, but would you wait for a cam belt to break before fitting a new one?

Your claim that VAG “can’t source VAG valves for months” is simply wrong as my experience proves.

Whether you choose to have the software upgrade is up to you, but if you do the mileage’s I do, your EGR valve WILL fail!  It will cost you around £500 to £600 at today’s prices, mine was free.

It remains to be seen what happens when my next MOT is due, but for now, I rest my case.

regards

BonyTony.

The premature demise of the EGR is just one possible negative element of the emissions fix.

I'd wait a few more thousand miles before gloating too much, you've injectors and the DPF to go yet.

• Like 2

Bonytony good to read you are a happy bunny since your car is back to normal, but why have a dig at me for not getting the fix done?. Reading your previous posts ie 27th Nov 17 it seems your "I rest my case "quote  was anything but rested as you were howling your head off AFTER you had fix regarding fuel consumption up from 56.4mpg-under 50mpg. Then it was the warning lights,flashing glow plug and limp mode followed by "to say I am unhappy is an understatement". Then your post on 5th Dec 2017 you are howling again (and I totally understand why) that the previously mentioned warning lights were on again. This is why I chose NOT to get fix done as I had  researched online and left no stone unturned. Thousands of people all had the same outcome as you did and a colleague with a superb 1.6tdi had the fix done (car only 9 months old and had 26k on clock) and 2 days later limp mode and egr failure so it's not only high mileage cars this so called fix has affected. My colleague was always a skoda fanatic till then and after fix problems he traded it in for a Dacia Logan mcv. Regarding your other comment about shortage of egr valves I suggest you google "shortage of egr valves due to vag fix", there you will find this information is not made up as it comes from uk parliament and other organisations. There you will also find info regarding thousands of disgruntled vag owners all saying the fix has ruined their cars. The bbc watchdog program also highlighted thousands of disgruntled people affected by the fix 2 weeks running last year. The whole point is as with you my friend why would you and anyone have to keep going back to get fix fixed?,as I said if it ain't broke don't fix it but that quote seemed to have touched a raw nerve, and for information only purposes, I don't EVER go with manufacturers guides with cam belts etc as I change 10k beforehand. 

• Like 2

My car is one of those that has not been done.  I was fortunate to get a chance to drive a Superb Greenline the same as mine that had been updated and I didn't like it. It wasn't dreadful, but it was not as refined as my car and seemed to slightly tarnish what is normally a beautifully smooth engine. I will stick with the great economy that mine still produces.

• Like 3