The New Arrival

WaveyDavey

• 1 month later...

Got the valve caps this week and fitted them today. Sprayed a little white lithium grease into them before fitting them to hopefully stop them becoming rusted in place. 

Still not got the sill protectors fitted but hoping to get them done over the next few weeks. 

IMG_5820.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 06:53, RichT99 said:

Just done my indicators while at work this week, they were awkward to say the least but managed without having to remove the headlight unit.  

Feel free to come and do these ones then.... :D

On 3/29/2017 at 01:40, WaveyDavey said:

Feel free to come and do these ones then.... :D

Just give me a shout and i'll do my best, my next attempt at light upgrades will be the indicators on wing and cant say I'm looking forward to that.

22 minutes ago, RichT99 said:

Just give me a shout and i'll do my best, my next attempt at light upgrades will be the indicators on wing and cant say I'm looking forward to that.

lol I'll take you up on that if you're ever at a meet. :D

I've reverted the DRLs back to the stock halogen bulbs today. The LED bulbs were nice and bright over the winter period when it has been duller but now it's getting brighter/sunnier I've noticed due to the whiter light they produce the DRLs are actually less visible on bright days as the light in the reflector just blends into the sunlight that's also hitting them. 

So as I say I've reverted them back to the stock bulbs as I've found them to be more visible on bright days. 

I've also added a pic of the upgraded interior light in daylight to show which style I went for. 

IMG_5868.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to fitting these today after giving the car a wash ready for the Yorkshire meet tomorrow. 

Driver's side one was a pain.... Managed to pop the rubber gromit that you have to remove first into the bloody body work of the car!!! But luckily managed to get it out with the use of a telescopic magnet with a piece of 'no more nails' double sided tape on the end and a set of long nose pliers. Anyway that protector was a pain to fit properly but the passenger side one went on like a dream. 

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

Edited by WaveyDavey

I've gone through the earlier posts and replaced the images with working versions.......

Anyway..... Latest update.....

The car had it's first service today along with having a couple of Warranty issues looked into.

The radio reception has never been the best. I know it's a known issue with the radio not being the greatest but I've had a couple of VW Up! cars as courtesy cars in the past that both seem to have had better reception.  Also all four centre caps were showing signs of corrosion and marking after only six months so this was also mentioned when it was booked in last week. The dealer did ask what I used on the wheels to which I replied "the AutoGlym stuff Skoda sold us with the car" at which point they said they'd swap them out. :) 

Anyway upon collection all four centre caps have been replaced and they have also looked at the radio and have said they have reterminated an earthing point, (which they say is a common issue?????), and to see if this improves the radio at all. If not they say they will investigate further.

Here are some pics of the original centre caps which had been like this since around February/March time I think.

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

Our Citigo is nearly 3 years old, albeit with less than 6,000 miles on the clock. White-worm is only just starting to show on a couple of the centre caps. I use a very caustic wheel cleaner (AutoSmart Smart Wheels) but heavily diluted and rinsed thoroughly after use.

The powder coat/paint has cracked/split on the back-facing edge of some of the wheel spokes though. Corrosion/bubbling will no doubt ensue but hopefully I can soldier on another couple of years before considering a refurb.

For future out-of-warranty purposes, genuine Skoda centre caps are available on ebay from sellers in Slovakia for around £15 for a set of four.

Edited by ronime

Well after using the car a few times since last Tuesday the radio reception does indeed seem to have improved to what it should be like. (Not brilliant but as well as these units perform). So it looks like it was the dodgy earth termination that was causing the issue.

With regard to the centre caps..... I do wonder if they are made in numerous factories and it is only the ones made at certain locations that are of a poorer quality??? I say this because it seems so very random and not on the majority of vehicles that people have this issue and that when it does happen it seems to be all the centre caps on a car that are affected rather than just the odd one.

The ones on our Citigo were like this when the car had only been on the road 6 months (albeit it was 10 months from its build date), yet the ones I fitted to my Superb when upgrading from the older green badges to the new black and silver badges are still in great condition and they have been on the car around 2.5 to 3 years and are cleaned with the same products as the ones on the Citigo.

Edited by WaveyDavey

You've got me checking my centre caps as well haha, got the start of some white worm coming in on the front 2 so will mention it when the first service is due. Pointless throwing new caps on over the winter IMO so will keep them as is for now. Am always a little jealous when I visit this thread because this is what I had in mind when looking for a Citigo, a black on black one with the small leather pack and dynamic dash, wasn't really out to get a white one so it's a good thing yours isn't a 5 door haha, could swap then ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

You've got me checking my centre caps as well haha, got the start of some white worm coming in on the front 2 so will mention it when the first service is due. Pointless throwing new caps on over the winter IMO so will keep them as is for now. Am always a little jealous when I visit this thread because this is what I had in mind when looking for a Citigo, a black on black one with the small leather pack and dynamic dash, wasn't really out to get a white one so it's a good thing yours isn't a 5 door haha, could swap then ;)

lol..... To be honest I wanted the mrs to get a Monte in red or white but she wanted the colour edition and in black or possibly white..... This one was the only one readily available before the offer she had finished a week or two later so she went for it. Obviously meant she also fell on it having all the options included for free too. :) 

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

On 04/11/2016 at 21:32, WaveyDavey said:

Replaced the interior light yesterday with one of the three bulb type with map lights. It came out of an Ibiza that had only done 20k miles and was in like new condition. Cost £20 delivered.

Replaced the three bulbs with LEDs and you can now see what you're doing when the light is on. :)

Nice quick 5 minute job from start to finish.

One would presume it's a few screws and clips under the perspex panel?? Looking at doing this myself in the coming weeks.

I can't quite remember exactly how it goes but it's not too complicated. Does the Sport have the black roof lining? My MC does and as such it is a royal PITA to get a black light unit. Fabia VRS is the best bet for one but I haven't found one that isn't vastly overpriced yet.

29 minutes ago, adam85james said:

One would presume it's a few screws and clips under the perspex panel?? Looking at doing this myself in the coming weeks.

17 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I can't quite remember exactly how it goes but it's not too complicated. Does the Sport have the black roof lining? My MC does and as such it is a royal PITA to get a black light unit. Fabia VRS is the best bet for one but I haven't found one that isn't vastly overpriced yet.

The light unit is held in place by a couple or torx screws. You just prise off the clear lens and you can then see the screws. Once the screws are removed you drop the unit away from the roof lining then unclip the power lead and then connect the lead to the replacement and pop it back into the hole in the roof lining before putting the screws back in. The colour edition has the light interior so my unit was slightly easier to find than the darker units found in the mk1 Fabia vRS. Mine was from eBay and came from an Ibiza that had only done around 10k miles so was like new and was a lot less than the price of a new unit.

This style light unit is fitted in Fabia's, Ibiza's & Polo's and I think also Octy's, Golf's, Leon's, amongst others???

Here's a link to the guide I used....... http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/149237-vw-polo-diy-upgrading-cabin-light-headlight-switch-installing-footwell-lights.html

• Like 1

Ordered a pair of Nightbreaker Laser bulbs today to upgrade the Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs that are in the headlights at the moment, along with a pair of Osram LED bulbs for the DRLs. Will see how they are compared to the LED DRLs I have in at the minute. I must admit the Osram ones look a little more OEM looking so hopefully they'll be just as bright, or better still, brighter. 

Should arrive tomorrow. 

The PID had a moment yesterday too. On the way to work last night it never gave any camera warnings..... Same as i left work this morning too..... On the way home I checked if the SD card audio was working ok which it was and then all of a sudden the camera warnings started back up a again!!!! 

Edited by WaveyDavey

Ok the Nightbreaker Lasers and the Osram Premium LED bulbs arrived this afternoon. I've put the laser bulbs in and will keep the Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs as backups. (The laser bulbs give an extra 20% light output compared to the unlimited bulbs so probably won't notice much of a difference between the two but obviously much better than the OEM bulbs).

As for the Osram Premium LED DRL bulbs...... I took one of the existing LED DRLs out and put the Osram bulb in and what a difference!!!!! For the worse!!!!!

The Osram bulbs are only outputting around two thirds the light that the existing LED bulbs I got from HIDS-Direct give out. (It's as though the Osram bulbs are in the dimmed mode when the headlights are on).  I tried taking them out and putting the bulbs in the holder 180 degrees different in case that was the issue but still the same. They just aren't as bright.

Closer inspection showed that both the bulbs seem to have two of the six LEDs not lit as brightly as the other four. Whether that's a design thing or both bulbs are faulty I don't know but it's very disappointing. 

I've completed a return for the LEDs with the reason being performance being too poor and Amazon have accepted the return so I'll send them back to them tomorrow for a full refund. 

So I guess I'm back to having the HIDS-Direct LEDs in and when the bright summer days come along I'll revert back to the OEM bulbs for the summer months. 

Edited by WaveyDavey

Strange there are a couple of people complaining about the Osram bulbs, mine are perfect with a very bright light and all 6 LED’s appearing to be working well on both bulbs. I don’t think I could handle them being any brighter than that. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, then again HID’s Driect will never get another penny of my money after the bulb debacle that happened when I bought the car so I guess luck has a lot to do with it.