I'm off! Last minute help please?

Did you say this was your first flight ? What did you think to it ? That initial acceleration is something else isn't it lol !

I'm off to the Canaries on December 15th... Cant wait !

Did you say this was your first flight ? What did you think to it ? That initial acceleration is something else isn't it lol !

I'm off to the Canaries on December 15th... Cant wait !

Ha! I wasn't expecting that acceleration the first time I got on a plane. It WAS something :)

• Like 1

Makes me laugh out loud like a little kid every time ! One memorable departure in a very lightly loaded 757.... Captain almost stood it on its tail. Never forget it.... He said he was going to perform a 'spirited departure' and even came back on the cabin tannoy and said he hoped we like it lol !!

Probably not happen in todays PC and fuel saving world ...

2 minutes of absolute commitment followed by hours of boredom and cramp finished with another 2 minutes of absolute commitment = any commercial flight. I can never stop thinking about the science of take off and landing. Being hurtled towards V1/V2 along a tarmac runway on a few bits of rubber is not something I ever enjoy. 

It's a bit like being driven by SWMBO in her S type V6 except then the commitment is for the whole journey  :peek:  Must be something to do with control  :D

p.s. love the Canaries in winter; Balearics in Spring. Been every year for the last 30 years and still enjoy both areas but couldn't live out there full time.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday but all I can sya is look at your forum name and you know why it was wet when you got back  ;)

• Like 2

I must admit I absolutely loved take off and landing. Gently taxiing to the runway then nothing, nothing... GO GO GO. :D The acceleration (and more specifically the jerk) was really enjoyable. My wife (a life long frequent traveller) was worried I'd hate flying, but the only thing she saw was a huge grin as we nailed it down the tarmac. I was surprised not to feel much of anything at the point of rotation (lift off) but hitting V1 was definitely enjoyable. I have to admit being mechanically minded helped, as I understood the process before flying and as such was too busy nerding out over the engines and enjoying it to worry about falling out of the sky or somesuch. :D Definitely going again for the spring!

Sagalout, you want to try adding a heavy two year old into the mix. She was strapped to me for the duration of the flight in both directions (too young for her own seat, but weighs a ton!). She was as good as gold to be fair (as was our 12 week old) but it's still bloody hard being 6'5" and being pinned down by a toddler on top, in economy.... :( 

• Like 3

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be in the RAF as aircrew (not a pilot), and flew on the Vulcan, including a season as display crew.  Now that was something else.  The acceleration when taking off with a light fuel load was unbelievable, then straight into a very steep climb and into a 90 degree wingover.  I was also lucky enough to get a trip in a Buccaneer, which was like a 2 hour 10 minute orgasm!  Fantastic.  The rest of my time was flying on the Nimrod, a more sedate gentleman's machine, flying as low as 200 feet over the sea

By the way I should get my SIII L&K 2.0TSI Estate next week.  I cant wait

Regards

Pilkers

• Like 3