Engine Bay (Under Bonnet ) Insulation.

When was the improved noise insulation introduced?

Dunno. Mine is a summer 2015 MY16 car. Someone here reported that a dealer claimed the MY17 had improved noise insulation. Unless my car is special for some reason (not as far as I know). Diesel bonnet on a petrol car?

• 1 year later...

Well. I've ordered one, I prefer a more finished look under the bonnet too and on a recent trip in the rain, the water, in a band accross the upper third of the bonnet evaporated off when sitting in traffic queues. Leaving the rest of the bonnet still beading. Maybe it will decrease the wax protection on the bonnet, getting hot enough to evaporate the rainwater. I don't know. You pay your money and take your chance. If it's slightly quieter. I'm happy, if it's not I'm happy. The car sounds like a Golf when you close the doors, but not when you close the bonnet. I have also ordered the new style tailgate wedges and buffers too.

5 hours ago, stanian said:

Well. I've ordered one, I prefer a more finished look under the bonnet too and on a recent trip in the rain, the water, in a band accross the upper third of the bonnet evaporated off when sitting in traffic queues. Leaving the rest of the bonnet still beading. Maybe it will decrease the wax protection on the bonnet, getting hot enough to evaporate the rainwater. I don't know. You pay your money and take your chance. If it's slightly quieter. I'm happy, if it's not I'm happy. The car sounds like a Golf when you close the doors, but not when you close the bonnet. I have also ordered the new style tailgate wedges and buffers too.

I ordered one for the same reason - finishes it off better under the bonnet and hope it has some sound deadening properties too.

Arrived today in a massive box!

14 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I ordered one for the same reason - finishes it off better under the bonnet and hope it has some sound deadening properties too.

Arrived today in a massive box!

Where did you get it from please 

Just fitted mine, bonnet closing sounds much better - more of a solid thunk.

Just make sure you don't drop any of the bloody clips! Dropped one and thought it was a goner, but luckily fell straight through to the floor!

Well initial impressions are good, was 0c this morning and the engine sounded quieter and more refined from a cold start (at least within the cabin). Guess this is due to the engine sound not hitting the bare metal on the bonnet underside and amplifying it or causing it to vibrate.

Worth the £28? Yeah I'd say so. Looks better when you have the bonnet open and sounds better when you close it too. Skoda should fit this as standard like on the diesels.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2018 at 20:49, ahenners said:

Just fitted mine, bonnet closing sounds much better - more of a solid thunk.

Just make sure you don't drop any of the bloody clips! Dropped one and thought it was a goner, but luckily fell straight through to the floor!

Just fitted mine today, bonnet does sound more like a golf now when I close it and just looks like more of a finished job when the bonnet is up. All the clips were in situ on mine, just a matter of inserting the tabs at the back of the bonnet and then pushing the clips in.  Also fitted the new style tailgate wedges to see if it eases the occasonal booming.

Insulation.jpg

Wedge.jpg

Wedge2.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stanian said:

Just fitted mine today, bonnet does sound more like a golf now when I close it and just looks like more of a finished job when the bonnet is up. All the clips were in situ on mine, just a matter of inserting the tabs at the back of the bonnet and then pushing the clips in.  Also fitted the new style tailgate wedges to see if it eases the occasonal booming.

Insulation.jpg

Wedge.jpg

Wedge2.jpg

Looks good! How much were the tailgate wedges? Let us know if they make a difference :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Looks good! How much were the tailgate wedges? Let us know if they make a difference :)

Came to £40.99 with the bonnet insulation, so for the wedges works out at around £11.00.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 18:20, stanian said:

Came to £40.99 with the bonnet insulation, so for the wedges works out at around £11.00.

I think the overall sound of the car has improved, left it a while to let report for placebo effect wear off and I feel that there is a definate improvement. The low frequency rumble over rough ground is all but gone. The new wedges don't reduce road noise but the low frequency and feeling of air pressure has gone. Well pleased.

• Like 1