Octavia III Facelift

Electric handbrake is one of the reasons I didn't buy Seat Leon or Volkswagen Passat.

Manual handbrake helps in tight corners if you have enough speed. Or too much...

+1

Why I hung onto my Audi B7 RS4 for 10 years instead of changing to a B8 RS4 - liked the idea of DSG but hated the electric handbrake whenever I had a loan car with it.

Same can be done with electronic handbrake.

No, it can't.
Try driving 50mph to a tight corner and apply handbrake for a 0.8 seconds to loose the grip on the rear and getting the grip back after the car has started to turn.
With electronic handbrake you'll end up somewhere you didn't plan to go.

I understand that this isn't normal way to drive for most of the people and I appreciate the fact that most of the people are quite satisfied with electronic handbrake.
But not me.
Edited by Petunet
  • Like 2

I dont drive like that, but still agree.

Why should the handbrake be electrical?

Its a emergency brake IMO and pure mechanic is the only thing to trust.

The maintenance cost has also been high on Audi and Passat with failing electronic.

• Like 1

I dont drive like that, but still agree.

Why should the handbrake be electrical?

Its a emergency brake IMO and pure mechanic is the only thing to trust.

The maintenance cost has also been high on Audi and Passat with failing electronic.

I've had two cars with electronic handbrake and I've never experienced any issues with either one. ZERO issues. More problems with manual handbrake with sticking pads, sticking handbrake wire or something similar.

Both have their pros and cons. But I personally ain't towards or against either one. Both do their job and both work.

And what comes to the handbraking in general. I haven't tried that with my current car but the previous one with electronic handbrake worked exactly like manual one. On closed area I could throw the car whatever way I wanted. Of course it ain't that fast as manual one as there's always a little delay because you need to hold the handbrake button for awhile for the car to figure out you're serious :)

All facelifts follow the Skoda Vision C prototype direction : http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/concepts/visionc

So more work is done to reach the concept in terms of design.

I would hope that would be the direction. Somehow I very much doubt the twin headlamp design in new Octavia. It would not be in line with the VisionC concept and also it would be completely different than in any other Skoda today. And worst of all, it looks fugly.

Hopefully more to the direction of the new Superb.

Actually I don't think it looks all that bad. Cars and SUV over the last few years have started to look similar from certain angles so something different is 

good.

Really need to see it in the metal before I make up my mind.

From the drivers seat I don't see the front end anyway !

Seat leon does look attractive.

In the interests of full disclosure I do have an Octavia III on-order so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Skoda don't have a good track record of facelifting cars.  The Yeti doesn't suit it's Octavia III face and the Octavia II didn't suit getting it's Fabia II face grafted onto it (although the vRS looked pretty good in facelift form).  It's worked when they keep it subtle the Octavia I and Fabia II were improved by subtle facelifts. 

Hopefully it'll be a wee nip/tuck with a nice Superb style slant to the front lights with LEDs.

In the interests of full disclosure I do have an Octavia III on-order so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Skoda don't have a good track record of facelifting cars. The Yeti doesn't suit it's Octavia III face and the Octavia II didn't suit getting it's Fabia II face grafted onto it (although the vRS looked pretty good in facelift form). It's worked when they keep it subtle the Octavia I and Fabia II were improved by subtle facelifts.

Hopefully it'll be a wee nip/tuck with a nice Superb style slant to the front lights with LEDs.

Agreed with you re the Yeti, but the MK2 FL Octavia looked far better than the car it replaced...both inside and out.

Also if the above is the MK3 FL then I think it looks great.

Edited by vtec to vrs!