Octavia III Facelift

LED headlights on main beam are excellent. 

On dipped, on any speeds between 40 and 70, are so low on both left and right side on an unlit country lane I've recorded footage on my GoPro, to share with Skoda as a warranty claim for readjustment. With a 2 second gap, the right side cutoff is short of the tyres of the car in front, never mind reaching the bumper. The left side lights up the exhaust of the car in front. 

They do adjust up/down when starting the car, so it doesn't appear to be any broken motor, just pointing down too much. 

9 minutes ago, MattChr said:

LED headlights on main beam are excellent. 

On dipped, on any speeds between 40 and 70, are so low on both left and right side on an unlit country lane I've recorded footage on my GoPro, to share with Skoda as a warranty claim for readjustment. With a 2 second gap, the right side cutoff is short of the tyres of the car in front, never mind reaching the bumper. The left side lights up the exhaust of the car in front. 

They do adjust up/down when starting the car, so it doesn't appear to be any broken motor, just pointing down too much. 

I haven't done a lot of driving in the dark in the 10 days I have had the car, but did go through some unlight and unfamiliar country roads in Gloucestershire when the M5 was closed on Saturday evening - I don't remember thinking that dipped beam was a problem.

Have had the car for nearly a week now. So far so good. One day I may master the infotainment system!!. Overall I like the look of the estate except the rear end. Think I prefer the flat back panel rather than the "dented" one.

Collected mine tonight.. what a difference from my old mk3. Even though those new headlights look dodgy... the lights are fantastic.. Very impressed with the 1.4..so much quieter and smoother than my old 2.0 tdi.

• Like 1

So we're just over 1 weeks ownership, and after 1200 or so miles I reckon it's time to open up the pipes a bit, loosen it up and hopefully prevent  it from turning into a 2 stroke engine. I'm really impressed with how quiet it is, though I have the engine sound set to sport cos I'm a big kid really. 

32 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@ Keith64 could you please make a short list/review what benefits you see/experience with 1.4 TSI and what disadvantages against 2.0 TDI. 

Easy...

Usually the 1.4lt petrol (140/150Ps or 1.5lt version) & 2.0lt (150PS) diesel in the same spec have the same torque of 250Nm in manual because of the MQ250 gearbox. However the current UK spec is 250Nm for 1.5lt Petrol (150PS), & 340Nm for 2.0ltTDI 150PS version both in manual.

Petrol has no DPF so no long term problems with that.

Petrol has lighter engine, so better turn in & handling...1820kg for the above spec petrol, &  1882kg for the above diesel both in manual hatch version...so 62kg more weight for the diesel car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TTodorov said:

@ Keith64 could you please make a short list/review what benefits you see/experience with 1.4 TSI and what disadvantages against 2.0 TDI. 

Yes sure.. let me have some time driving it and I'll draw up what I see as the pro's and cons..  might help someone decide.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keith64 said:

Yes sure.. let me have some time driving it and I'll draw up what I see as the pro's and cons..  might help someone decide.

When I test drove the MK7 Golf estate in GT spec all the dealer had was diesel as the best seller then (3yrs ago)....same platform as MK3 Octavia (MQB)...my car is the petrol 1.4..& the suspension doesn't crash even thought the same sports suspension, & the front end is defo better for turn in..

In fact because the Golf estate has a 2 inch shorter wheelbase (same as golf hatch) than the MK3 Octavia the extra weight of the estate rear balances out the hatch's desire to go light at the rear, so the rear multilink suspension can get to work & effectively rear steers the car with the outcome that it can over steer If I want...basically it is very neutral handling!!!

It helps that VW chose to fit it with the very stiff front ARB as per the Clubsport & the rear is very soft which helps keep the rear wheels in contact with the road..

19 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Must be nice to take your ear plugs out now you're rid of the tractor technology? 

First thing the wife said was how quiet it was..you get used to the noise the diesel make. I also dont notice when the engine stops during a stop/start session.. bit strange but im sure i'll get used to it.:)

• Haha 1

Taking a look at the LED headlights...  The fog lights don't seem to be LED, and are a bit yellow.  Perhaps that is deliberate and the pure white of an LED would produce more glare?

59c8a2d4f0a46_2017-09-2414_52_05P.thumb.jpg.b99237de718686a363c7cd5fd2c7bc78.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juniperz said:

Taking a look at the LED headlights...  The fog lights don't seem to be LED, and are a bit yellow.  Perhaps that is deliberate and the pure white of an LED would produce more glare?

59c8a2d4f0a46_2017-09-2414_52_05P.thumb.jpg.b99237de718686a363c7cd5fd2c7bc78.jpg

Strange I'm sure mine are, I'll have a look later

Nope mine are all LED

Did you buy the "poverty spec"?

20170925_114543.jpg

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Just now, SC03OTT said:

VRS models are certainly LED for the fog lights. 

Thanks.  I was also surprised that the rear lights have filament bulbs for indicators and reversing - hidden behind a shiny plastic bit.  Must grab a photo some time.

8 minutes ago, Juniperz said:

Thanks.  I was also surprised that the rear lights have filament bulbs for indicators and reversing - hidden behind a shiny plastic bit.  Must grab a photo some time.

Yeah the rears are the same as that on the vRS. Front is fully LED. Rear is position lights, brakes and fogs. Indicator and reverse are filament with the silver shield. 

• Thanks 1