DSG and clutch wear

Hi

Looking to buy 2013 skoda, 1.4 petrol dsg. I heard there are some problems with clutch wear, especially in city driving. This can take up to 1.5k to fix AFAIK.

I am getting a 2 year warranty on the car but as I am looking to own it long term. Is clutch wear something that is a real problem affecting a lot of cars. I know ultimately it's my risk but wanted to ask feedback to get regular users opinion whether it's a very big risk...

Ta

NO. The risk is historic. The early DSGs had problems, but as already said, they're as reliable as any gearbox these days - any from 2013 onwards will be built after the problems.

A long term warranty on any mechanical part will be expensive and impossible to predict whether it'll still be working in maybe ten years.

This is not to say they can't break down - but just think of the thousands and thousands of DSG gearboxes that haven't caused any problems. Far more people post bad news online than good news.

• Like 2

Agreed, bear in mind these boxes are fitted across the VAG empire, if they were that bad, it probably would have made the news by now.

Also bear in mind it has 2 clutch's that are shared  1st doing odd nos and 2nd doing even nos ;<)

I did 35k miles over 2 1/2 years (total mileage of 47k) on my 1.4 TSI DSG Rapid and it was faultless.

Bought my year old Octavia 1.2 DSG recently on the strength of it.

• Like 1

If you're keeping the car long term go for a car with a traditional torque converter auto.

These are tried and tested and more reliable than DSG.

DSG is a lot better than it was, but reports still pop up on here of failures.

Look at BMWs Mercedes Honda and Toyota for torque converter autos.

I had a 2008 Honda Accord 2.0 petrol auto 5 speed with paddles, not as good on fuel or road tax as the Octavia but a very well made reliable car.

Very few reports of failures these days, just lots of old stories still alive.

Like Lancia and rust, a reputation is easy to lose and can take years to regain.

If you're keeping the car long term go for a car with a traditional torque converter auto.
These are tried and tested and more reliable than DSG.

Just like my Mitsubishi Galant. Oh, I forgot. That gearbox failed at 20,000 miles.

• Like 1

Far more people post bad news online than good news.

This is so very true. People rarely post the good news, or congratulate others in preference to giving them a roasting.

• Like 2

I've had four VW DSGs over the years ranging in age from 2004 to 2016 and find them to be the best auto gearboxes I've ever driven. Of course some people will have had issues or preferences that differ from mine, but that's life. **** fails from time to time :).

I would say you'll probably be absolutely fine. If it's not a sealed DSG (I think 2013 would be?) then make sure you get it serviced at the correct intervals.

As above there was an issue with some earlier boxes with clutch wear. This was later resolved with a new revised clutch pack and some software tweaks to reduce the amount of clutch slip allowed.

• Like 1

Anything after 2011 on the 7 speed dry setup will be classed as Gen 2 DSG, without the problems of the Gen 1 system. The 6 speed DSG is the wet clutch type used in higher power applications (although a 7 speed dry system is in development for high power outputs), and S-Tronic used by Audi is a CVT type system with manual control.

The 7 speed system is generally reliable since they changed some of the specs and the revisions to the setup of the clutches. The Gen 1 system was a PITA to get it spot on due to having to accurately measure clearances and then shim the clutches correctly and if not done correctly, it could lead to excessive wear and change issues. The revised clutches require less setting up, and so are more reliable and less likely to suffer issues.

Anything after 2011 on the 7 speed dry setup will be classed as Gen 2 DSG, without the problems of the Gen 1 system. The 6 speed DSG is the wet clutch type used in higher power applications (although a 7 speed dry system is in development for high power outputs), and S-Tronic used by Audi is a CVT type system with manual control.

S-Tronic is DSG. Multitronic was their CVT and should be avoided like the plague!!!