Skoda Aircon service

Does not having the Aircon system serviced affect the warranty when the car itself has received its periodic scheduled mechanical services?

I.e., would skoda argue the fact that a car was 'missing' an Aircon service during its warranty period/PCP duration thus make an issue of this?

I don't neglect major and minor servicing but im not interested in their £70/£80 Aircon service for a car which I'm going to VT. The Aircon is working well enough in my opinion.

Saying no to an "optional" Dealer aircon service will not void your warranty. All aircon related parts will still be covered, buy you are more likely to develop stinky-aircon or less-cool-aircon (which would not be covered even if you had it serviced).

Personally, I would only pay for the service if the car needs it (if it gets stinky or loses cooling efficiency). 

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

In the event of an air conditioning related complaint the first step the dealer takes may be to request permission and payment for a regas.

Warranty admin are very stringent when it comes to "air con poor", "air con not cold" or "air con noisy" complaints, especially on cars over 2 years old; all issues that can be avoided with a little bit of preventative maintenance. Most manufacturers recommend a regas at 2 years because at this point in the vehicles life the amount of gas lost through natural leakage can take components outside of their safe working parameters.

Even if it's done by a man in a van or kwik fit - so long as you have a printout from their machine showing that it's been regassed and has had the oil topped up then there's no grounds for claim rejection.

£40 now can be easily justified compared to £1200 for a failed compressor, £500 for a blocked drier or £1000 for a seized TXV.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale

Good info.

Mostly my concern is/was that skoda would also insist the Aircon service is a mandatory part of owning the car during a PCP period, thus i would be back charged at skoda prices for this service (or more) when I VT the car.

Maybe naively as the vehicle came with so called free servicing I assumed the Aircon was also part of this service.

Thanks for the advice anyhow.

Good info.

Mostly my concern is/was that skoda would also insist the Aircon service is a mandatory part of owning the car during a PCP period, thus i would be back charged at skoda prices for this service (or more) when I VT the car.

Maybe naively as the vehicle came with so called free servicing I assumed the Aircon was also part of this service.

Thanks for the advice anyhow.

I have 3-years free servicing with my PCP deal. Skoda do not include aircon within the servicing plan so it is certainly not mandatory. If mine fails (extremely unlikely), and they refuse to fix it under warranty then they will get the car back with faulty aircon at the end of term.

If however my aircon starts to smell or becomes inefficient before end of PCP-term, I will have it serviced - but only then.

• Like 2