Bugs, faults and gremlins. And possible fixes.

My Superb L&K has done over 18,500 miles now. I booked it in for its first service and requested several issues be dealt with under warranty at the same time. 

I'll post up a list of the problems I am having, plus the fix for them, if any: 

Knocking noise on rear suspension at low speeds: Fault confirmed as faulty bushes on rear suspension - parts on order. I'm sure this one was mentioned once or twice elsewhere  :notme:

Metallic clicking/cracking from front wheels, most obvious when pulling away on a lock: ​Fault lies with the front wheel bearings, they need to be removed and re-packed with grease. Whether this is just the bearings or also the CV joints, I wasn't told. Sounded more like CVs to me......

Failed stitching on rear seat base, around 1 inch long: Confirmed as a defect, new seat base to be ordered (£1500!  :o )

Repeated low coolant warnings: ​Engine coolant system pressure tested - no problems found. Maybe air trapped somewhere or evaporation? 

Apple CarPlay crashes on occasions, forcing a hard restart of the HU: No update available, technical are aware of this and it's a known issue

Smart Light Assist odd behaviour on dual carriageways (doesn't like the amber road studs on the central reservation white line, steers O/S beam away from them all the time, and won't raise to main beam position) No fault codes found, system checked out during diag. tests. Maybe mine has a funny quirk?

Rattle and buzzing from central dash area. ​Apparently more common on Canton equipped cars, the central speaker can rattle and buzz. Wasn't given too much information, just told it had to be 'packed out'. 

Rattling/creaking side air vents on dash: No obvious fix, technical aware of the issue. Tech noticed dynamic variation in gap between dash and door card when driving. Awaiting technical's answer to this. 

Excessive buzzing, vibration and droning noise from the engine bay when the engine is under load at around 1800-2500rpm: ​Told it is a characteristic of the DSG box. I am not at all convinced as the CR150 DSG superb loaner didn't do it at all! It sounds like something rattling against the bulkhead.

We are going away shortly so the car is booked in for 2 weeks time. We'll see how many of the problems can be sorted out, as they are having it for another 2 days. 

Edited by dstev2000
  • Like 3

Interesting as I have a few of these on mine too - almost a year old now. The 'buzz' from under the bonnet is nothing to do with the DSG. It is almost certainly one of the heat shields/covers/guards vibrating at its resonant frequency. A gearbox full of oil is not very likely to 'buzz'.

Rattling/creaking side air vents on dash: No obvious fix, technical aware of the issue. Tech noticed dynamic variation in gap between dash and door card when driving. Awaiting technical's answer to this.  - I fixed this with a gromit and a a bit of Velcro.

Excessive buzzing, vibration and droning noise from the engine bay when the engine is under load at around 1800-2500rpm: ​Told it is a characteristic of the DSG box. I am not at all convinced as the CR150 DSG superb loaner didn't do it at all! It sounds like something rattling against the bulkhead.

Not sure if this is the same thing but when car is on overrun at around 18-1900rpm I have a tinkling sound.... Sounds to me like an exhaust shield. Only seems to do it when engine hot. Cant hear it when windows up but gets on my **** when windows down... I like the windows down when driving enthusiastically....

Other stuff I need to get sorted  / looked at when I can be bothered ....

Wheel center badges white spiderwebs on chrome - Replacements at dealer

One of the buttons on the centre console is not fixed properly... Maybe the Traction control.... Have to be careful when hoovering !

Rear discs / Convinced the wear is not right and fully expecting some kind of recall or fix for this.

Edited by Nick_H

• 1 month later...

The car has been at the dealership for three days, I thought I'd update the thread with the latest fixes: 

Black: Original description of the fault

Red: Initial outcome based on first visit to dealership

Bold red: updated outcome based on latest visit to dealership

Green: FIXED!! 

Knocking noise on rear suspension at low speeds: Fault confirmed as faulty bushes on rear suspension - parts fitted, problem cured.

Metallic clicking/cracking from front wheels, most obvious when pulling away on a lock: ​Fault lies with the front wheel bearings, they need to be removed and re-packed with grease. This has now been completed and the clicking has gone completely 

Failed stitching on rear seat base, around 1 inch long: Confirmed as a defect, new seat base to be ordered (£1500!   :o ) New seat base fitted, looks good so far

Repeated low coolant warnings: ​Engine coolant system pressure tested - no problems found. Maybe air trapped somewhere or evaporation? System topped up, doesn't seem to have lost any more since. Could have been an airlock or hoses stretching as mentioned elsewhere on the forum

Apple CarPlay crashes on occasions, forcing a hard restart of the HU: No update available, technical are aware of this and it's a known issue. Still crashes on occasions, head unit is running latest software/firmware so I'm told. 

Smart Light Assist odd behaviour on dual carriageways (doesn't like the amber road studs on the central reservation white line, steers O/S beam away from them all the time, and won't raise to main beam position) No fault codes found, system checked out during diag. tests. Maybe mine has a funny quirk?

Rattle and buzzing from central dash area. ​Apparently more common on Canton equipped cars, the central speaker can rattle and buzz. Wasn't given too much information, just told it had to be 'packed out'. This has been looked at three times now, the buzzing changes every time it's looked at, but hasn't been cured. I'll attack the dash myself with anti rattle tape. 

Rattling/creaking side air vents on dash: No obvious fix, technical aware of the issue. Tech noticed dynamic variation in gap between dash and door card when driving. Awaiting technical's answer to this. No news on this one, will attack with anti rattle tape in due course. 

Excessive buzzing, vibration and droning noise from the engine bay when the engine is under load at around 1800-2500rpm: ​Told it is a characteristic of the DSG box. I am not at all convinced as the CR150 DSG superb loaner didn't do it at all! It sounds like something rattling against the bulkhead. This has been looked at on three occasions now, hasn't been fixed, getting bored with having my car away for days at a time as I need it for work. 

Rear parcel shelf won't retract very well, it's either very slow or stops. It also rattles all the time. The tracks have been cleaned up and lubricated with something. Still rattles......Will attempt a redneck DIY fix on it.

Rear washer performance is crap, sort of manages to spray down one side of the rear screen, waste of time when the screen gets really grubby. My car was compared with another estate that was lying around, that was the same. I'll put it down to a crap design. 

• Like 1

I've noticed the centre dash buzz is quite pronounced with certain frequencies on the Canton, for example one persons voice on a podcast will cause it but not others. Very interested to see if you can find a fix.

I've noticed the centre dash buzz is quite pronounced with certain frequencies on the Canton, for example one persons voice on a podcast will cause it but not others. Very interested to see if you can find a fix.

Same here, I listen to podcasts in the car and it buzzes on occasions. It's a pain to access due to the rake of the windscreen but I'll have a stab at it and post the results here. 

I fitted my Leon's centre dash speaker area with Silent Coat Absorber foam to stop the vibrations at certain frequencies.  Also removed the speaker and created a 'gasket' around the speaker aperture using some cut pieces of the absorber foam then re-fitted the speaker.   It worked a treat. 

• Like 1

New one for me ... Cubbyhole drawer jammed under passenger seat. Now means I cant watch Sopranos while waiting in carpark .... ( thought I would get that in ... Waiting in carpark ) and have been forced to listen to Smooth Xmas !!

New one for me ... Cubbyhole drawer jammed under passenger seat. Now means I cant watch Sopranos while waiting in carpark .... ( thought I would get that in ... Waiting in carpark ) and have been forced to listen to Smooth Xmas !!

I'm missing a drawer under my pax seat. Presumably due to the Canton amp being stuffed under there? It's one less potential rattle and/or jamming situation - every cloud and all that...... :p

• Like 1

I'm missing a drawer under my pax seat. Presumably due to the Canton amp being stuffed under there? It's one less potential rattle and/or jamming situation - every cloud and all that...... :p

The drawer under the passenger seat is missing because of the Electric adjustments for passenger seat. 

The AMP is under the driver's seat. At least that's the case with the Superb MK2.

Rear washer performance is crap, sort of manages to spray down one side of the rear screen, waste of time when the screen gets really grubby. My car was compared with another estate that was lying around, that was the same. I'll put it down to a crap design. 

Agree with this, it's rubbish.

Mine has gone in today and among other things I talked to the technician about the rear washer being carp. He said that all Superbs are the same  :thumbdown:

The drawer under the passenger seat is missing because of the Electric adjustments for passenger seat. 

The AMP is under the driver's seat. At least that's the case with the Superb MK2.

Bluetooth is under the driver's seat on the Mk3, the Canton sub sits under the front passenger seat. I don't know how that translates on LHD models. 

It could well be the electric passenger seat gubbins, as the SE-L doesn't come with it, whilst the L&K does. 

I think we could do with a proper 'Gizmo' sorted thread for just faults / fixes / developing problems.

Would that be poss Giz or a good idea even ?

+1

There are quite a few threads knocking about with various (and sometimes duplicated) problems, plus potential causes and fixes.