Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

SE business 2.0tdi - 150 - Manual gearbox.

Im finding i can hear a dull thud type of sound travelling over uneven or cobbled surfaces coming from possible the front nearside. 

What i have found the sound can be heard best in neutral or clutch in to limit the amount of cabin noise.

It sounds a bit like when a lower arm joint is worn which sends the noise through the car.

Has anyone else experienced it ?

what type of suspension? with DCC i definetly have.

and it dramaticly depends on roads and tires -

in abroad trip to Estonia i had "another" silent car,

same noticible changes i got after swapped stock Pirelli Cinturato P7 215/55/17 to winter's Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance G1 215/55/17

forum already has similar tread

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/378824-low-frequency-boom-in-cabin/

we have to live with it :(

in case Škoda/VW rejecting more obvious problems

@Kungfugerbil
as in Škoda's answer is wrote, that isn't "DSG issue", but standart Phenomenon :)
and RickTT asked about another type of noises, when all car's body works as subwoofer

that isn't "DSG issue", but standart Phenomenon

The issue that you posted a video of is entitled 'DSG phenomenon'. All linked videos, text and comms from Skoda show the phenomenon (or issue, feature, characteristic, thingy...) as affecting DSG cars only.

Given that the clunks you demonstrate are a feature of the DSG box, the OP isn't likely to have the same issue, unless someone swapped his gearbox out without him noticing :)

For what it's worth I don't have the same phenomenon, and I have DSG.

sorry for my terreble english,

what i meant is low frequency cabin boom aren't as bright as DSG Rattles.

and if second is "standart phenomenon" then also first will not be accepted as problem

and if second is "standart phenomenon" then also first will not be accepted as problem

I'm not sure that's true - in the absence of a DSG box the clunking could well be a suspension component...or wheel bearing...or undertray... or brake heat shield etc etc. Definitely worth looking at.

For the OP I would either get it booked in at the dealer, take them for a ride to demo it, or have a quick look yourself. Jack/axle stand that corner and give the wheel a hefty wiggle to see if you get any clunks.

After hearing it again today (only occurs on very rough road surfaces) its like a low boom rattle which could even be the exhaust at a guess.

I will just keep an eye on it as i don't have time at the moment to take it to the dealer, . but if it gets worse will book it in.

• 1 month later...

This noise I hear is coming more noticable from the suspension .. More noticeable when the front left wheel hits uneven / rough road surfaces.

Its also noticeable over cobbled roads and speed bumps if hit at any speed .

Manual gear box on 17 inch rims with 150 tdi unit

• 3 months later...

@RickTT - did you go any further with this?  Mine has a similar noise from the same side which sounds like a worn anti roll bar bush.  Its only there when I go over very uneven surfaces or speed bumps (it creaks more than rattles on speed bumps).  Its not present when the road surface is very wet and the offending component is presumably soaking wet.

issue is still there.. In fact only last week I booked the car in for it to be reviewed.. Its going in week after next .

It does sound like worn bushes or similar

Will update the thread..

• Like 1

I need to book mine in again. Rear is ok but the front now sounds like I'm driving an old banger first thing in the morning. I have to drive across three full-width speed bumps a few feet after leaving my driveway and it makes an almighty clonk noise and I can feel juddering under my seat. Once warmed up it doesn't happen until the next day.

I'm guessing some sort of resistant from the bushes. Either way, it's embarrassing.

I also have a rattling drivers door card and the chrome trim recall (that I had no need for as I didn't have the issue) has resulted in the front passenger side rubber being ill-fitting.

We're on our 4th and 5th Skodas in the family and quality has dropped over the years.

20 hours ago, unclerichy said:

quality has dropped over the years.

Škoda isn't unique, that is global trend :(
jump to ~7:20 of video - how well painted are new Golfs
http://tvplay.skaties.lv/parraides/auto-zinas/824145?

another trend, same as Superb, TSI engine comes without visible exhaust's tips

If this noise / rattle is associated with the multi link suspension of the Passat/Superb then it is a major failure of this generation.

Your only choice is to go back to the more primitive Octavia III suspension that actually works and is cheap to replace if they ever break !

Edited by umbral

• 2 weeks later...

Car is in the dealer. having a sleep over..

I reported the clicking CV joints / drive shafts..  The CV joints are bone dry but the CV boots are not split. -  Fully Re-greased

Suspension knocking - Worn bushes / ball joints / ill fitting.  New parts ordered to be fitted before return of the car.

All sounding positive and good update from the dealer.

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Interesting RickTT. Which dealer did you go to ?

Huddersfield. - Really good service from them.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

Did they acknowledge that it was a component/build fault or did they claim wear & tear and charge you for the fix?

No idea.. as i dont pick up the bill for the car..

I would assume it was warranty as I had one of their aftersales dealer cars to run around in... normally for services etc the company arranges a 3rd party hire car.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

in case Škoda can't find reason of rattles in more than 10 attempts

i have made visit to independent service - Volkswagen dealer "Moller Auto Krasta"

they told problem sounds exactly same as they have heard with Passats 2015 until shock absorbers
3Q0413031BE PR-G09
were replaced by
3Q0413031BE PR-G06;G11

i have found also confirmation in public documents:
http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/BR/PA/2016/793/R/4/411/411010

interesting ..BE PR-G09 still in use for Superbs, and there any word about recall
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411011

but my car got another
3Q0413031AK PR-G04
there also any word about recall or possible replacement
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411010

dealer rejected replacement cause rattles aren't problem and no leaks detected