Octavia 1.0 SE Estate

Test driving it tomorrow - am I mad?

Usually do runs around town with a long run once every 8-10 weeks...

No need to tow anything - just ferry wife, two kids and associated kit on the longer trips

Any advice gratefully accepted...

It shouldn't be that gutless with 115ps / 200Nm.

Skoda have built cars just as heavy or even heavier with 105ps in the past.

Enjoy the test drive and be sure you have a long enough drive with the family in and no salesperson.

Edited by Offski

I've had the 1.2 TSi 110 which the 1.0 has replaced for the last year.

Its no sports car, but its adequate for every day motoring.

Will turbo up the motorway hills in 6th gear easily, returns 50mpg without driving like Miss Daisy.

The only criticism is the road noise, especially on rough surfaces.

In hindsight I might have got the 1.4 150ps as it would have only been maybe a tenner more a month, and it would have been even better.

But if you're on a tight budget then it would be fine.

Remember you should get between 10-20% off list and the 0% finance.

I hope you're not mad, I've got one on its way. I loved the test drive. It surprised me, but then my old dear departed C4 didn't give it much to beat.

Glosrich is quite right though, if your budget can stretch to it, the 1.4 is meant to be a lot more fun. Plus you can then access the SE sport and SE tech specs which offer better value on certain extras. My wallet refused to let me test drive the 1.4, otherwise I'm sure I'd be getting the 1.4 SE sport.

I hope that 20% discount is a bit of an overestimation though, I was nearer the 10% mark through carwow with mats and a full tank added on top of that.

Given that the 1.6 diesel engine which my car has only offers 105ps, I would think that the new 1 litre engine would be a fairly decent performer with 115ps and should be well able to drive a fully laden car. It won't be sporty but that isn't the point of this kind of engine.

It shouldn't be that gutless with 115ps / 200Nm.

Agreed, the fact it's only a 1.0 is neither here nor there. 200Nm is same or more than the old 1.4TSi 122PS model (I can't remember if it was 175 or 200Nm), and also the same or more than older non-turbo 2.0 engines. I wouldn't expect it to be gutless, but you should have had the test drive by now so.... how was it?

I am looking forward to some user reviews and consumption figures for the 1.0tsi.

There was a suggestion in a recent article that changes to the official consumption tests to be more representative of 'real life driving conditions' would promote the larger capacity turbo engines

Some of them do not seem to have really got their heads around 'just add lightness'. Or Horses for Courses as not everyone needs an

autobahnstormer 'combi'

VW should have done that sooner rather than 'Just cheat', & the Governments should have stopped the let them Cheat by testing vehicles inside temperature controlled building and then tax cars on the pollution figures the Manufacturers give them.

Edited by Offski

Governments should have stopped the let them Cheat by testing vehicles inside temperature controlled building and then tax cars on the pollution figures the Manufacturers give them.

From April 2017 in the UK regardless of CO2 emissions Road Tax on cars & LCVs (with emissions greater than 0g/km) will be £140 per year flat rate - plus an excess for 5 years if the retail price is over £40,000.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

I'm currently driving the 1.2 petrol, and I wouldn't call it gutless. Sure, it is slow, but it feels less underpowered than my previous audi a6 with 2.0 170 hp, except during highway take overs where the audi had a bit more to give.

I've test driven and ordered a 1,0, it feels more agile and fun. I have towed stuff and gone skiing with full car and roof box with my old 1.2, so I don't think that is going to be a problem.

VW has put this engine in the Audi A3 as well as in the Seat Ateca. For 1 litres I think it's an amazing engine. Now let's just hope it's reliable...

Good on the VED changes,  but then we will see how many prestige vehicles come just under the £40,000 rrp.

then the next Autumn Budget Statement might change that for 2018 or 2019 

and start charging the VED on Vehicle Length / Weight of passenger vehicles and actual Emissions when the vehicle is on a road at the Revenue Weight / Max Gross.

From April 2017 the Government are still accepting the figures Manufacturers get from the Current EU Testing done inside Temperature Controlled Test Centres.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Edited by Offski

I am looking forward to some user reviews and consumption figures for the 1.0tsi.

There was a suggestion in a recent article that changes to the official consumption tests to be more representative of 'real life driving conditions' would promote the larger capacity turbo engines

I'd be interested too. Will be happy to share my consumption data when it finally arrives. Got told it was built 18 days ago, but still no sign of delivery.

From April 2017 the Government are still accepting the figures Manufacturers get from the Current EU Testing done inside Temperature Controlled Test Centres.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

That's because no agreement has been reached between the EU and the car manufacturers as to what the "Real World Tests" actually constitute. Until that happens we're stuck with the hopeless current tests (temperature controlled, limited distance which leads to hybrid vehicles having outrageous mpg and emissions figures, defined limited acceleration profiles, etc.)

• Like 1

But MIRA and others are ready to cash in on Testing once there is Legislation and they are also assisting in what this is going to be.

Maybe the EU Governments that are staying in the EU will kyber that though.

As it is the UK Government along with Germany, France & Italy were quite happy to do the Car Manufacturers bidding and allow the nonsense that was & is EU Testing.

The Chairman of the Conservative Party that until recently and getting his knighthood was a Secretary of State for Transport and was back in time right there with Maggie Thatcher 

encouraging Dirty Diesel passenger vehicles in the UK.

That other Lord, Michael Heseltine has his publishing empire 'Haymarket',with the various Motoring Magazines he owns (as well as other interests in Testing Facilities)

that somehow are not doing before and after testing on the VW 'Fix' which is no surprise really.

http://haymarket.com

Edited by Offski

As it is the UK Government along with Germany, France & Italy were quite happy to do the Car Manufacturers bidding and allow the nonsense that was & is EU Testing.

So true... the car manufacturers lobbying power over Governments is far too strong IMHO.

I used to be a senior manager at an automotive consultancy, so I've seen this from the inside - and believe me it doesn't smell of roses!

..as not everyone needs an autobahnstormer 'combi'...

Rubbish, of course they do.  Everyone.  They just might not know it yet  :p  :yes:

G

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am not sure about the long term durability and reliability of new small engines and now the Mail is talking of Petrolgate.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-3873928/Are-carmakers-facing-petrolgate-scandal-emissions.html

The particulate emissions of modern petrol engines is primarily because of the use of direct injection to reduce CO2 output. 

In addition re "but manufacturers are reluctant to fit them even at just €25 (approximately £22) per car."  Cost of a particulate and associated gubbins (controls, sensors etc) will be much much more - guessing about 40 times more. - I've seen air filters cost this much!

The particulate emissions of modern petrol engines is primarily because of the use of direct injection to reduce CO2 output. 

In addition re "but manufacturers are reluctant to fit them even at just €25 (approximately £22) per car."  Cost of a particulate and associated gubbins (controls, sensors etc) will be much much more - guessing about 40 times more. - I've seen air filters cost this much!

You are probably right about DI but while I can understand higher nox from DI it seems a bit counterintuitive that a more efficient engine will produce more particulates. Perhaps the problems occur during higher engine loads and outputs with the turbo in operation?

My eyebrows were also raised when reading the 25 Euro cost of a petrol DPF but it may not be as high as you think,  it is apparently easier to apply to a petrol engine (?)

Margins on air filters are stupidly high.

I was looking at getting a replacement 'HEPA' filter for my vacuum cleaner and saw the cost (which was a fair percentage of the original unit cost) and just thought 's#d it, I'll make my own'

Look for the current work that shows manufacturers are looking to increase engine sizes to meet new regulations.

A 1.0 might be great for passing lab tests, but in the real world it's going to be working a lot harder than a 2.0 to move the same mass at the same speed/acceleration.

Yes you may save a bit from reduced engine weight, but I can't imagine a 1.0 pulling 1.5 tonnes and not having to work hard.

I'd imagine it would be on boost most of the time you're going anywhere other than just crawling.

If you're doing a lot of town crawling, then a hybrid is probably better for you.

My dad and step mum are on their second 1.0 Ecoboost ford. First was the 100bhp B-Max and now the 125bhp Ecosport.

They do mainly short trips round town and it's fine here. Warms up quick, quiet, smooth, reasonable economy for just town trips etc.

But there are some down sides to these little engines. One has been pointed out above... great for passing the lab tests for economy etc but the real world economy is way lower no matter how economically you try and drive it as it constantly needs to be revved to keep it going up hills etc.

Also the lack of inertia in the engine gives zero engine braking coming down hills which can feel a little weird.

The Skoda 1.0 TSI seems like a pretty good little engine though and if it suites you then go for it.