Octavia 2 oil dip stick ... why black

Having recently bought an Octavia tdi ... went to check the oil ....hmmm why do they make it black ... the oils pretty much black ....my eyesight is generally good but seing the oil level on a black dipstick pffft ....is there an aftermarket one out there in say ...yellow or white ....eBay's are all black to

Hum, husband of a friend of my wife was asking me that and they have a couple of SEAT Leons with TDI engines, I think that he asked that same question quite a few years ago as well, so it is still annoying him with their latest VW Group cars!

On the pd diesel (and most that I know) the oil is poured in the usual straw colour and unless you precede it with an engine oil flush it turns instantly black as you start the engine for the first time.

In any case it goes black very quickly 

[EDIT] oops dipstick being black is the problem - don't think it (er - the dipstick) was black on my Superb I?

The dipstick on my 1.4tsi is made of metal - still hard to see the oil level as it is so clean

Edited by bigjohn

My 51 plate bora tdi is nice flat surface and yellow .... even the flat metal ones are ok .... but round..... and black .....maybe Skoda don't want people to check the oil lol

Had the same problem when I checked for the first time the other week.

I intend to cut up one of those white plastic coated net curtain wires to the same length as the dip stick, fashion a stop at the end so I dont lose it in the engine and try that.

Edited by scalefour