EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

No myth that the UK supplied the Arms that caused the need to rebuild Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen etc etc, and that the UK keeps those in power in power.

Natural disasters are one things, paying to sort what you were responsible for in the first place is different.

Paying the money and it being wasted going into the countries government coffers or the leaders pockets rather than to the population is criminal.

Great, we're talking about our foreign aid which is based around the 0.7% GNI target set by the UN. Not many countries in the EU meet that target, I guess they can have their values so long as they're not the ones paying for it. 

International%20Aid%20Rankings.jpg 

Unfortunately most of this ends in some of the most corrupt countries meaning they don't change their ways but end with some great projects to show for doing naff all.

Britain concentrates its bilateral aid funding on 32 countries, 15 of which are ranked as the most corrupt in the world, according to the Corruptions Perceptions Index compiled by watchdog Transparency International every year.

In Transparency’s 2016 index, war-torn Somalia was ranked as the most corrupt country in the world, with Afghanistan, Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo also perceived as some of most corrupt globally.

However, other countries also ranked as highly corrupt such as Iraq, Zimbabwe and South Sudan have reported small numbers of serious fraud cases to DFID, the report said.

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5N1FT73Y

Of course everyone wants in on the action when their is so much money being handed out so we'll make sure we award most of the contract to our own contractors first because i'm sure those sitting on the boards won't be paying themselves large salaries whilst volunteers do most of the work.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/britain-aid-suppliers-idAFL5N1NE747

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2017-highest-earners/special-report/article/1427306

Having said all the above I'm proud of our UK foreign aid policy standing as an example of what all developed countries should be doing. Through foreign aid you have big successes against Malaria,  provide health facilities, education and infrastructure where there was none. Unfortunately there will always be pigs with their noses in the trough and others that defraud the funds from reaching their intended victims but the rest gets through and it makes a huge difference.   

Airbus boss says Brexit risks losing UK aviation's 'crown jewels' to China

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/airbus-boss-says-brexit-risks-losing-uk-aviations-crown-jewels-to-china

UK firms 'excluded' from space contracts by Brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42065836

Government avoids defeat after MPs vote against retaining EU Charter of Fundamental Rights in UK law after Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-charter-fundamental-rights-commons-uk-eu-defeat-a8068326.html

Just ONE days news and that's not even all of it.

Well done, Brex****ters. Well done indeed :wait::wall::fubar::finger:

4 hours ago, gadgetman said:

The people who will be hit hardest are the areas in the north who voted overwhelmingly to leave. 

The problem is so far they haven't seen what is going to hit them, or know what is happening but believe the claims we'll actually be better off. 

Nice to see you are narrow-mindedly tarring all those in the north with the same brush...       :dull:

Edited by skomaz

Scotland which is in the North and a huge land area voted Remain, by about 2 to 1. 

Northern Ireland voted Remain. so the overwhelming number must be in the North of England not of the UK.

Where is the hard hit coming from?

The hard hits according to the last last few pages are coming from the Aerospace industry, Banking and EU agencies of EMA and EBA. 

Sorry just realised they’re all southern England. 

They is some Aerospace jobs advertised in Preston and Consett. Maybe they know something the papers don’t, they could be building Russian satellites. 

Operation stack is going to affect the most southern part of the British Isles is it not, 

but every cloud they will get the Resettlement & Processing camps for those just allowed across from France.

So building work for many, any greenfield sites built on and plenty work in Border Control and Customs jobs, and HR obviously.

Lets not forget the South will benefit from both Fracking, Oil Extraction, Offshore Renewables & Nuclear and the construction jobs that brings.

Just need to build more drinking water infrastructure or protect what there is and all is well in the south, or is that all wells are well.

England to 'reap benefits' from fracking after SNP announces Scottish ban.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I love a bet. 

Who are the 'We'? 

is that those on PAYE and the smaller businesses and self employed or 'All of Us that are in it together'?

INEOS are not getting fracking so bought a Pipeline, bought some oil fields.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-42060090 

The Offshore Renewables are now going south but the onshore are going well. 

The Tourism is doing great, manufacturing and production is going well and the nearest neighbours to Scotland buy so much of the produce, 

things are looking good. Water still not polluted and plenty of it, and the seas are teaming.

Under 6 Million population, seems all positive.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Nice to see you are narrow-mindedly tarring all those in the north with the same brush...       :dull:

Not tarring anyone. 

The north struggles to attract big employers, and many which are in the north are linked with Europe. 

It's unclear how, if jobs are lost or these companies shift any jobs to Europe or elsewhere what will replace them all. 

Nissan, is already looking at the viability of Sunderland post brexit 

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Scotland which is in the North and a huge land area voted Remain, by about 2 to 1. 

Northern Ireland voted Remain. so the overwhelming number must be in the North of England not of the UK.

Where is the hard hit coming from?

Unsure George why you just seem to want to be antagonistic lately. 

You know the answer to the question, but just want to play devils advocate.

I have missed all this as I am new to all the Skoda stuff, but my new car will hopefully be registered in the next couple of weeks. I am signing in the finance docs in a few days. I wonder if I could request EU plates? I don't see many 67 plates with them on but my dads 67 plate Hyundai does (bought pre reg) . 

Also one of the reasons I have bought a new car now (my existing one is nearly 8 years old) is I am worried about the price increases when we no longer have tariff free access to the single market. On the plus side I suppose Lada could sell us some of their none EU standard cars :D 

Edited by MozzyMarr

Gadgetman, i read what you and Lee01 type and link,

read the fake news and think these guys suck all this stuff in and i read the same old stuff about how poor Britain will become because Banks and bankers are leaving.

Wonder how the extra £3k is  going to be spent?               Norway-Sweden style border controls but on a scale a hundred times that they use ???  

The £3B new pot for the practical implementation of BREXIT..........  

==============================================================================================================================

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/autumn-budget-uk-sets-aside-3-billion-for-brexit-preparation.html   

Autumn Budget: UK slashes growth projections, sets aside £3 billion for Brexit

• Finance Minister Philip Hammond puts aside £3 billion ($3.9 billion) over next two years as Britain prepares to leave the European Union
  • The non-partisan Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) downgraded Britain's GDP to 1.5 percent from 2 percent in 2017
  • Productivity and business investment also revised down

Britain slashed its official projections for economic growth Wednesday and anticipates it will need to borrow sharply over the coming years.    Finance Minister Philip Hammond delivered the U.K. government's official Autumn Budget at a time when the ruling Conservative party is facing challenging political and economic circumstances.  The non-partisan Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) forecast Britain's gross domestic product (GDP) would grow by 1.5 percent in 2017 before slipping gradually to 1.3 percent over the next three years. The U.K. had been forecast to grow by 2 percent in 2017.  The OBR also revised down productivity growth and business investment. Britain's changing economic condition has stirred fierce debate over how much should be attributable to the uncertainty surrounding Brexit.   Hammond promised to set aside £3 billion ($3.9 billion) over the next two years for Brexit contingency planning.  "The negotiations on our future relationship with the European Union are in a critical phase," Hammond said.  "We have already invested almost £700 million in Brexit preparations and today I am setting aside over the next two years another £3 billion," he added.

============================================================================================================

55 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Wonder how the extra £3k is  going to be spent?              

£3k isn't going to go very far in the scheme of things.

2 hours ago, moley said:

£3k isn't going to go very far in the scheme of things.

Sorry £3B of course as in the text lower down.  We (Bollore) are spending  hundreds of K ourselves in preparation for BREXIT and there should be many millions of pounds/Euros of extra business for us on both sides of La Manche.    

12 hours ago, MozzyMarr said:

I have missed all this as I am new to all the Skoda stuff, but my new car will hopefully be registered in the next couple of weeks. I am signing in the finance docs in a few days. I wonder if I could request EU plates? I don't see many 67 plates with them on but my dads 67 plate Hyundai does (bought pre reg) . 

Also one of the reasons I have bought a new car now (my existing one is nearly 8 years old) is I am worried about the price increases when we no longer have tariff free access to the single market. On the plus side I suppose Lada could sell us some of their none EU standard cars :D 

You can get the EU plate additions from ebay or amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eu+number+plate+stickers&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=4201834552&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8q53wdp90g_b

10 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Nice to see Daniel Hannan blaming brexit issues on Farage and Banks in a blog on Conservative home. 

He may have a point; If it hadn't been for Niggle Farrago there may have never been a Brexit referendum to be voted in.

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

He may have a point; If it hadn't been for Niggle Farrago there may have never been a Brexit referendum to be voted in.

True, but Hannan has been back peddling quite a bit since his side won. 

Clearly in the never believed they'd win camp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

True, but Hannan has been back peddling quite a bit since his side won. 

Clearly in the never believed they'd win camp. 

Lost count of the number of people I have spoken to that didn't believe that leave would win and voted for it just to 'stick it to camaron' or 'make a point' - jeez, that lot need to understand what they have done!

Well MEP's and Eurosceptics knew fine they were Turkeys voting for Christmas.

I liked the Daniel Hannan Country walk news story, maybe google that one.

PS

So the UK Cities going for getting to be European City of Culture 2023 are all stuffed as it is a EU Commission 

thing and you have to be a European City in a country in the EU.  (correction, 'Capital of Culture' !! For Cities not Capitals.)

You might have thought those leading the bids from the 5 cities might have checked that out in the past 18 months or so before spending thousands going on with the bids. Or as this says, Millions. 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42097692 

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Haha 1