Skoda Superb III 4x4 280 - A sleeper’s journey – 280ps to 560ps

superbtte

I think somewhere in this thread (it's long, I'm not going back through it all) you mentioned that you were looking for a new challenge to test the car...

I recently read two interesting articles that made me wonder how your superb would fare in a hill climb...

http://www.roofsideup.com/hillclimb-challenge-audi-rs-6-avant/

Your superb must be lighter, at the very least you're not carrying the weight of a 4L v8 up the hill plus second turbo. On the other hand, the RS6 seems to have a very different 4wd setup to the Superb?

http://www.roofsideup.com/skoda-superb-estate-280ps-4x4-dsg/

A brief mention of launching the *stock* 280ps estate faster than the two fastest cars in the previous article.

Obviously driver has a big impact on something as short and technical as a hill climb course often is so I think knowledge of the course is a key factor but it would be very interesting to see how your Superb fared!

Cheers,

Steve

I think somewhere in this thread (it's long, I'm not going back through it all) you mentioned that you were looking for a new challenge to test the car...

I recently read two interesting articles that made me wonder how your superb would fare in a hill climb...

http://www.roofsideup.com/hillclimb-challenge-audi-rs-6-avant/

Your superb must be lighter, at the very least you're not carrying the weight of a 4L v8 up the hill plus second turbo. On the other hand, the RS6 seems to have a very different 4wd setup to the Superb?

http://www.roofsideup.com/skoda-superb-estate-280ps-4x4-dsg/

A brief mention of launching the *stock* 280ps estate faster than the two fastest cars in the previous article.

Obviously driver has a big impact on something as short and technical as a hill climb course often is so I think knowledge of the course is a key factor but it would be very interesting to see how your Superb fared!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Something similar already done with the factory spec 280

"Skoda Superb Estate 280 DSG 4x4 finishes a surprising fifth in class at Loton, beating three Porsches, a Jaguar E-Type and a supercharged Lotus Elise."

Video below:

• Like 1

Hi,

That video is from the roof side up guys, the site I linked to in my post above, testing the Superb! :)

They mentioned in another article how unfunny the beaten Porsche etc owners thought it was. Maybe you can collaborate with them on an article about your great build...

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

That video is from the roof side up guys, the site I linked to in my post above, testing the Superb! :)

They mentioned in another article how unfunny the beaten Porsche etc owners thought it was. Maybe you can collaborate with them on an article about your great build...

Cheers,

Steve

Apologies, did not notice it in your link!

Why not, can try to contact them to see if they find my build interesting :)

Same engine as the Golf R / S3 / Cupra 290.

It is a bit better than the Gti one.

Interesting,what are the differences between the GTi, etc. engines & the R, etc engines?

I'd guess a bigger turbo but there might be more.......

Another dumb question, 3 different power outputs, 280. 290 & 300 ps, are they actually different, maybe just different programming or are the "lesser" VAG brands being a little conservative in their advertising ?

I ask, 'cos we've had two older Skoda's ('12 Octy 2 FL & my '12 Superb remapped & they both started from 210 ps ex. factory rather than the 200 ps stated in the brochures.

The guys at AMD said that's often the case with Skoda's.

TIA, DC.

PS Congrats for what you've achieved, that's a really good "Q" car you have. 

• Like 1

Another dumb question, 3 different power outputs, 280. 290 & 300 ps, are they actually different, maybe just different programming or are the "lesser" VAG brands being a little conservative in their advertising

More or less same programming. Some say they all have the same some say the 280 version is hot climate version with reduced timing.

Stock 280s has been dynoed between 280 and 300hp same as the 300 version has been dynoed between 290 and 30X. But dynos are lottery and should rather be used as a verify of the same car as superbtte has done. Stock dyno vs tuned dyno and using the first dyno as a benchmark.

@superbtte; Impressive build that defines what a true sleeper is. Did you get an explanation of the difference in spool and the powerband with wagner vs forge intercooler?

Regards

New owner of Forge Intercooler :)

Edited by Raven112
  • Like 1

A tuning company I used extensively in the past arranged for me some time on their testing grounds yesterday. Traction was not good, dump track, so quarter mile times were not ideal but I managed a quite good 100-200 time of 7.47 seconds. Now I am really looking forward to santa pod in 2 weeks time with their prepped surface for the 1/4 mile!

Hi superbtte  nice project.

I cant see that you have changed dq250 dsg ?  How can it handle that nm .

I am baying the same car and will also built some changes :)  I am just a bit worried about the dsg and clutch

Lars 

DK

Edited by larsstampe

12 minutes ago, larsstampe said:

Hi superbtte  nice project.

I cant see that you have changed dq250 dsg ?  How can it handle that nm .

I am baying the same car and will also built some changes :)  I am just a bit worried about the dsg and clutch

Lars 

DK

Hi, the DSQ box can handle the torque provided you have a good tune for it that increases clamping pressures correctly.

11 minutes ago, larsstampe said:

I am thinking about arp stage 1 end perhaps the dq250 software update.  vw tells that dq250 only handles 350-400 nm.

But i cant wait to they fit the new dq381

When I enquired about this with a reputable tuner he claimed VW have never released maximum torque figures for the DQ250, which AIUI is fitted as std to the 190 TDi (that comes from the factory with 400Nm) 

I know nothing about DSG remaps, what is involved what does it do... any downsides?

Edited by Gizmo68

Just now, Gizmo68 said:

When I enquired about this with a reputable tuner he claimed VW have never released maximum torque figures for the DQ250, which AIUI is fitted a std to the 190 TDi (that comes from the factory with 400Nm) 

I know nothing about DSG remaps, what is involved what does it do... any downsides?

Dsg remaps, as far as I know, do 1 or 2 things 

1. Change shifting points to suit new engine torque maps 

2.  SOME remaps also increase the clamping pressure to allow more torque. Before the dsg map mine was slightly slipping at stage 2, 500nm. Now it's is ok with 700nm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, larsstampe said:

hi superbtte how did i go on the track this weekend☺

Unfortunately the track was damp due to mist (4 hours delay even allowing people on the track) so a lot of spinning off the line.

Terminal speed was higher than before (121.74mph) but 1/4 mile time was actually slower due to the abysmal 60ft times (2.28 rather than the usual 1.7 I get in the summer).

That will teach me trying this in Winter :)

Edited by superbtte
  • Like 1

Sorry too hear. 60 ft Down by 0,5 sec is a huge difference, I think the 400 meter time would be Down with 1 sec if nothing  else was changed. But your car must have more power to get higher topspeed :).

Talked to vw dk and they told that the superb 280 will come with the new dq381 in june 2018 .