coolant system

My octavia keeps giving me the warning signal on the coolant level. On inspection, the coolant level has dropped very low. When I open the resevoir cap the pressure releases and the coolant flows back to the correct level. As soon as I start driving it happens again. I'm not losing coolant. Any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

What age is the car?

My 6 month old VRS TDI has just done that. Skoda Assistance came out and said it was common for the coolant level to drop significantly in the first 20K miles as a result of the way it is filled in the factory. He topped it up and ran a  diagnostics and a process that ran through and opened all the valves on the coolant system and reved the engine in a specific way. Been rock solid ever since...

• 9 months later...
On 17/11/2016 at 19:20, jpd1978john said:

What age is the car?

My 6 month old VRS TDI has just done that. Skoda Assistance came out and said it was common for the coolant level to drop significantly in the first 20K miles as a result of the way it is filled in the factory. He topped it up and ran a  diagnostics and a process that ran through and opened all the valves on the coolant system and reved the engine in a specific way. Been rock solid ever since...

any idea where these bleed valves are? i'm getting the same problem with my 2010 vrs tdi (60 plate) which has just clocked up 80,0000 miles. 

i'm hoping not. that's the worst case cenario. i've just jacked up the expansion bottle side of the car a high as possible to see if it's an airlock in the system to try and bleed it out. i'll keep you posted.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:01, ALAN1968 said:

any idea where these bleed valves are? i'm getting the same problem with my 2010 vrs tdi (60 plate) which has just clocked up 80,0000 miles. 

He didnt bleed the system. It ran a program from the laptop which switch the valves inside the cooling system and then topped up the header tank. In short I don't know were or how you would do it manually.

No manual bleed valves. When I had to refill the coolant up on mine after the rad had been out I just filled the header tank and ran the engine with the heater set to high on both sides. Kept topping it up as the level dropped as the air was pumped out. Just make sure you leave it to get hot enough for the thermostat to open.

just a thought, have you tried replacing the header tank cap? 

You posed the same question recently here:-

As you now know, the answer is that the coolant system is being pressurised by gas getting in, probably due to a leak at the head gasket. 

On the question of bleeding after refilling the system, my garage just ran the engine up to temp whilst checking the level. The tech said the engine was "self burping" but to just take a look in the first few days in case the level needs a final top up.