1.9tdi wont start when hot and stalls

Hi,

Im new to this forum, thanks for the help in advance.

I have a 2003 Skoda Superb 1.9tdi. Recently there was a problem after a logn drive the car wont start. My wife was driving at the time and I told her ring the AA, before they arrived (after 20 minutes) I got her to try it again and it started fine, no problems.

Then the other night it just stopped on the road, wont start. Pushed it off the road. Next day it started fine.

I keep reading about relay 109 been an issue in VAG cars so I have removed the cover in the passengers side but I cannot find relay 109!!! Are they in Superbs? The car is starting fine now but I dont want it to stop on the road again.

Can anyone point me to the location of relay 109 or if it exists?

Thanks in advance

JAG

Can you give a bit more information.

Does it turn over? or does it fail to crank at all when you experience the problem? any warning lights? Have you had it scanned for fault codes?

Edited by SuperbTWM

Ah, if you're not hearing the fuel pump, and the engine is spinning at a typical speed on the starter, then the issue must be an intermittent fault in the fuel pump. At which point I will wish you the best of Celtic luck and withdraw.

got the codes read. It show "Fuel pump relay" issue.

I changed relay 167 under the dash but today again it did the same thing. Stopped on the road, then we wait 45 minutes and it started again.

Real pain in the a$$.

Is there any other relay assoicated with the fuel pump?

Going to get the codes read again later today to see if it is the same error

Update on this!

Turns out when I asked my wife "did you stall the car and it wont start or did the car stall itself" she now informs me that she stalled the car and then it wont start.

This I think changes things.

Now my issue is "hot start", as mentioned before it starts fine when cold and runs perfect at any temp.

When hot it just keeps turning and turning but doesnt fire. If you leave it to cool a bit then it fine.

I read on forums that this can be caused by a low battery or not a fast enough starter.

The battery seems fine and doesn't turn slow even when you keep turning. I connected another battery via jump leads to see if it would help when hot but still wont start, so I presume its not the battery.

Then I read about the starter that it needs to turn a bit faster when hot, so I disconnected the temperature sensor wire and it still wont start when hot. Does that eliminate the starter?

Any ideas where I should look next. I see another guy mentioned cleaning the EGR valve but as it runs perfect when it does start I can't see it been that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

What state is your battery in? My Touran suffered this problem and it transpired that the battery was not allowing the starter to turn the car over fast enough to start ...

If the starter doesn't reach a certain speed no fuel is supplied - and it won't start. 

Search Hot Start Fix on VW Caddy forums for more info

The equivalent relay to the infamous "109" on the Superb is relay 219. It lives in the ECU box under the scuttle (park wipers vertically and remove hidden plug in scuttle trim to access the rearmost ECU box cover screw) and is subject to the solder fatigue problems of the old 109.

It is a dual contact relay and serves the injectors, ECU power and power to the fuel pump relay (which is in the car, inboard of the fuse box).

Any failure of this relay will result in a non start. If the dual contacts are serviceable, resolder all the relay connections to the printed board using 60/40 leaded solder. Sometimes a broken soldered joint causes trouble only when the relay is hot - fitting your symptoms.

rotodiesel. 

thanks guys.

Didnt realise that there was more Relays under the wipers, must have a look at that.

I read about the weak battery but i tried jump staring it with jump cables and a good battery and made no difference when hot.

I keep ye posted

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue. well I played a bit with vcds and after changing the value in: Ch01 Engine -> login 12233 -> ch10 adaption -> ch01 changed the value there from 0->100 and no more hot start issues :) now for a week with no problems. hope it helps.

yea the right thing to do is to remap the ecu, but I do not have the resources nor $, and I live on the faroe islands where no one does that, so my options were few :) but hey, this works

1.9 tdi bjb Octavia mk2