Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - 225/40 R18

mcscoobs

Need a couple of these... best price I've seen is £82 a tyre (from Camskills) or £90 a tyre fitted through BlackCircles.com. Before I commit, does anyone know of any discount codes or any sites that do these tyres cheaper (coming up to xmas and all!)? I expect not, but if you don't ask...! 

Need a couple of these... best price I've seen is £82 a tyre (from Camskills) or £90 a tyre fitted through BlackCircles.com. Before I commit, does anyone know of any discount codes or any sites that do these tyres cheaper (coming up to xmas and all!)? I expect not, but if you don't ask...! 

Also going to put a pair on the front of mine seem to have good reviews on here

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have the GY Asymmetric 3 fitted to the front of my car, & here are my opinions.

The reason I went for these was because I had the Asymmetric 2 on my Mk II Fabia which I owned previous to the Octavia VRS Mk II I now have. The A2s were excellent, great feedback, super grip both dry & wet roads. 

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the A3s. Gives floaty steering, poor feedback, & grip nowhere as good in both dry + wet weather as the A2s. I think Goodyear have gone for comfort instead over performance on the A3s. The only pros I can give it is that its the best tyre I have had for absorbing bumps or driving on bad roads, & its fairly composed on the motorway.

I think I will go looking again for the AS2s if they are still in stock anywhere, or go for Michelins or Continentals which will give better steering feedback then move the AS3s to the back wheels.

Overall, not only am I disappointed but gutted too.

1 hour ago, sleeper77 said:

I have the GY Asymmetric 3 fitted to the front of my car, & here are my opinions.

The reason I went for these was because I had the Asymmetric 2 on my Mk II Fabia which I owned previous to the Octavia VRS Mk II I now have. The A2s were excellent, great feedback, super grip both dry & wet roads. 

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the A3s. Gives floaty steering, poor feedback, & grip nowhere as good in both dry + wet weather as the A2s. I think Goodyear have gone for comfort instead over performance on the A3s. The only pros I can give it is that its the best tyre I have had for absorbing bumps or driving on bad roads, & its fairly composed on the motorway.

I think I will go looking again for the AS2s if they are still in stock anywhere, or go for Michelins or Continentals which will give better steering feedback then move the AS3s to the back wheels.

Overall, not only am I disappointed but gutted too.

I would be gutted....if I used mine for track days... otherwise I have found mine to be quieter and overall better than the Potenza fronts  ( which might not be saying too much) and I would buy them again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to give an update on these tyres. Now I have done over 500 miles with them on the fronts, they are starting to settle in very well & the car is driving much nicer than it ever has. Good steering feedback, feels a lot more progressive & precise. Driving in the rain felt very reassuring. So overall, I do recommend these tyres. The only thing is compared to the Asymmetric 2, they take a lot longer to settle but hopefully this means the AS3s are more durable than its predecessor. Now all I have to do is get rid of the nasty budget tyres than are on my back wheels (Autogrip Grip 500 - do not get them for anything!) as they have given me more than a few scares. 

• 2 months later...

An update. I have removed the front GY AS3s & replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. The reason was even though the AS3s made the ride more comfortable, had good grip & developed a nice steering feel once settled, the driving precision was terrible + hardly felt direct. Driving on roads with a slight bit of camber, the steering would go the opposite way. It seems the rubber is too soft causing it to flex more than it should. I know that in my previous post I said they were feeling more precise. Well it seems they cannot get any better because this is how the tyre has been made. Disappointed.

After fitting the PS4s, even though they need time to settle, the steering precision is much more spot on than what the AS3s could achieve. Also the steering alignment has improved (?) Don't ask me how.

I still have the AS3s on the back which seem fine for the moment, but maybe I will replace them with PS4s if I feel they are affecting the handling.

• 2 weeks later...

I've the A3's all-around on my O3 VRS, had the rears longer than the fronts, I think they're great.

Compared to the Potenza S001 the car came with, I've not yet had much (if any) wheel spin on greasy/wet roads from a standing start and the ride quality has vastly improved. 

I managed to get cash back vouchers on the first purchase, missed out by about a fortnight when I bought the front pair; but still for £80 a corner after discount I'm more than happy and will be replacing like for like. 

• 4 months later...

I fitted the Goodyear AS3’s to the rear of my vRS Octavia replacing Continentals Sport Contact 5’s. Since having them fitted I’ve found them to make the car handling poor and feels ‘loose’ at the back end now.

I’m due new tyres on the front shortly again to replace Continental Spot Contact 5’s and will be replacing them with the same as I’ve not been impressed with the GY AS3’s and how they have changed the handling of the car at the rear.