'The Grand Tour' Latest news

Lady Elanore

"So the wait is nearly over" it said in my email. 18th of November on Amazon is the date with destiny, or rather watching 3 middle aged blokes loon around in cars. The latest trailer looks like they have the usual sky high production values, exotic machines and the 3 chaps saying things like "oh my God" a lot (imagine G force on their faces as they say this for full effect) as ever. 

I will certainly watch it with interest. It should also be in 4K so the cars will look even better (hopefully they will use HDR too).

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the old TG - what's wrong with middle aged men pr*tting about in exotic cars?

I'm not about to pay for Prime just to watch the new version though.

I'll just waiit a couple of days until each episode gets uploaded to certain sites adopting a buccaneering attitude to broadcasting.

Edited by BJM
  • Like 1

Have got Prime :thumbup:

TBH I find it quite good value. I get my money's worth out of it anyway.

Had expected TG TGT to be a bit earlier but ho hum at least it's coming.

Any news on the next post-Evans BBC Top Gear?

Suspect it will be a lot better next time round.

I assume so, no idea. I'm sure it will be acquireable somehow :D

Have you seen the DriveTribe thingy they're also launching?

http://drivetribe.com/#home

No idea what it will be yet but I've been chosen as a local content leader based on some of my DriveLife articles.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon revenue is about $120B a year.

I'm sure they could spare $3.2M as a loss leader.

TG doesn't even need to get all that many new Prime subscribers to make it work for Amazon since Prime is bigger than just video streaming.

Amazon probably think they're getting a bargain.

I was thinking more in terms of "how much money!!!!!!" For something that presumably last a few minutes, or probably no more than 10, that is a staggering cost in TV terms. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, something like the World Snooker finals cost around £6,000 an hour to produce. If you i reckon the opening sequence will last 15 minutes (for arguments sake) on the new TGT, then that equates to £10,000,000 an hour,  around 5 times the cost of the most expensive period dramas. It's certainly moving into Film making budgets and perhaps with their production values, that's reasonable. But it is still shocking. 

Mind you on the other hand, when you consider how many millions each Premiership  home game costs SKY then perhaps it's good value

You can tell the show is getting nearer to launch. Their videos are popping up everywhere. This one is from the Late Late Show thingie with James Cordon. I guess it's not new, but I hadn't seen it before

Late Late Grand Tour

You really do get to see how short the Hamster is compared to Clonkson too :D 

• Administrators

I assume so, no idea. I'm sure it will be acquireable somehow :D

Have you seen the DriveTribe thingy they're also launching?

http://drivetribe.com/#home

No idea what it will be yet but I've been chosen as a local content leader based on some of my DriveLife articles.

It's the reinvention of piston heads. Something that has been done and failed by a few. Of course it will have the boys and some backing. It really shouldn't take that long, could launch something tomorrow, just need a motoring audience.... wide range of views, mature yet open...

How much even is Amazon prime to be able to watch this? I wouldn't be at all interested in it if this wasn't being shown on there

I think it's around £80 a year or so for Prime. I occasionally use Amazon for buying stuff and often delivery is free if you have Prime membership. They also have some interesting movies which are free on Prime, like 'Trumbo' and 'Youth', both of which seem to be pay to view on SKY movies and their ilk.

I saw that they were supposed to have £160 million for 3 years worth of shows, but of course their salaries and such like have to come out of that too (and no doubt a sizable chunk went on the catering) 

I've been in Whitby today and the Grand Tour large tent / marquee is being erected at the harbour.

• Like 1