Map update for Amundsen (Nov 2016)

Morning,

I've been searching and searching, and I've not been able to find a definitive answer on this, so thought I'd ask.....

There is a new map update for my Amundsen Sat Nav in my SE Tech 1.2 TSI 110PS - ECE 1 2017. Now, I might be being stupid here, but do I simply download the zip file and extract it to a blank SD card?

Because I've tried this and can't get it working....

When I put the card in (keeping the existing the Nav data card in as well), I go into the map settings, and select update. I get the "searching for update" message, and then

Software update

Error: no data available.

Please insert a source with software update data or check the source.

It's identical to the issue described here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/310955-help-upgrading-satnav-maps-failed/ so I just wanted to double check that the solution provided was correct for the Rapid.

Has anyone else with the same model been able to update the maps, and if so, how?

Cheers,

Rob

You have to use the original SKODA SD card, there is a guide on the Octavia forum here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402860-amundsen-satnav-update/

Just wanted to say thanks for this info - the steps worked perfectly, and my maps updated instantly.

Took just over an hour to get 7zip to extract to the card, but no issues what so ever. Pity Skoda can't put a basic guide like that on the site.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to say thanks for this info - the steps worked perfectly, and my maps updated instantly.

Took just over an hour to get 7zip to extract to the card, but no issues what so ever. Pity Skoda can't put a basic guide like that on the site.

Thanks again!

Did you buy a new SD card or use one of your own ?

I have downloaded the maps for my Superb, but needed to do more research if backing up and formatting the OEM existing card

Short answer:

I used the OEM card that came with my Rapid, copied everything off to a spare folder, deleted the /maps folder, and then used 7zip to extract to the root of the card (D:\ in my case)

Long answer:

I tried various ways to make an image of the card (Win32DiskImager for example) and the put that image onto a fresh 16GB card. Skoda must do something particular with the size of the partitions though, as I was only able to put this image onto a card that as 32gb. Didn't matter anyway, as the card was not recognised in the unit (despite technically being a mirror image). So in the end, I did the risky task of just copying the /maps folder off, delete it, and then extract the maps back fresh onto the card. Took about an hour to extract, but then it went straight into the car and just worked.

As I said, the website could do with some better instructions (because if you forget to wipe the card and just extract and overwrite, it fails - not enough space).

This thread got me thinking, I have a 2014 Toledo, same Amundsen unit as the same year Rapids?

So how do I go about any updates for the mapping etc. It has the SD slot of course, I don't have any card with the unit, only the one I have my music selection on. Do I have to go to SEAT and download updates onto a card?

Nope. You apparently have to pay a fortune for a once-only SD card update with our Amundsen Plus / Seat Media 2.2 version.

Although the last time we discussed this on here a techie type member did PM me about the subject ;)

Edited by camelspyyder

I recently updated my 2014 Amundsen+ to V8. The SD card was very costly from the dealer, but available considerably cheaper (on eBay): http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xamundsen%2B+maps.TRS0&_nkw=amundsen%2B+maps&_sacat=0

As previously stated, the older sat-nav's require a one-time-only update. The SD card is then locked to this particular unit and cannot be used again.

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link pp  :thumbup:

Does V8 make the sat nav any less stupid?

Last night was a nightmare. 4 hours back from Gatwick in a car I've barely driven since March, and the Nav system no longer knows the best way home - so it was country lanes in the fog for the last hour Grrr.

I recently updated my 2014 Amundsen+ to V8. The SD card was very costly from the dealer, but available considerably cheaper (on eBay): http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xamundsen%2B+maps.TRS0&_nkw=amundsen%2B+maps&_sacat=0

As previously stated, the older sat-nav's require a one-time-only update. The SD card is then locked to this particular unit and cannot be used again.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at those.

Just bought a Garmin and acquired a Tom Tom with lifetime updates. The standalone sat nav is for my other car, sods law my daughter has just given me hers.

I do prefer the Garmins, just sold my out of date (by 10yrs) Garmin for nearly £30 on eBay.

I may just run with what I have in the Toledo nav for present, it's not bad but has it's quirks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly I will need to go through this route if I desire the maps to be updated. Currently on V4.

Incidentally how often are the maps updated (imagine annually by the version no's) and if so which time of the year do they generally appear?

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I will need to go through this route if I desire the maps to be updated. Currently on V4.

Incidentally how often are the maps updated (imagine annually by the version no's) and if so which time of the year do they generally appear?

Appears the new update (V9) has just come out. 

http://www.satnavdisc.co.uk/Skoda/LATEST-2017-SKODA-AMUNDSEN-RNS315-V9-NEW-SD-CARD-SAT-NAV-UPDATE-EU-UK

I'm contemplating updating as I'm also on V4 which appears to be around 2013 maps. 

Appears the new update (V9) has just come out. 

http://www.satnavdisc.co.uk/Skoda/LATEST-2017-SKODA-AMUNDSEN-RNS315-V9-NEW-SD-CARD-SAT-NAV-UPDATE-EU-UK

I'm contemplating updating as I'm also on V4 which appears to be around 2013 maps. 

Yes I had seen listings on a well known auction site for V9, understandably more in cost than V8. I will probably wait a few months to see whether the price for V9 falls a little before purchasing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 00:09, RocketRapid said:

Yes I had seen listings on a well known auction site for V9, understandably more in cost than V8. I will probably wait a few months to see whether the price for V9 falls a little before purchasing. 

Just done the update to V9 on my Superb II. Card was £44.99 & delivered First Class Royal Mail signed for. For anyone considering buying from there, it wasn't necessary to register as such, & as well as credit card payment, they also take paypal.

I had been keeping an eye on that well known auction site & the best price I saw there for V9 was £69, so big thanks to Montieous for the link. :-)