Advice When Installing A GTB2260

Xman - Your point about the low stress is very true, similarly the time spent draining the oil is also a good one. However, I believe your comment regarding that you haven't had a single problem, otherwise I guess you wouldn't ship them if they were coming back in droves. Thanks for the offer of the pipe in a bucket test, it would be interesting to see what happens.
However, I now have significantly more confidence that I won't end up with a sump full of melted silicone. That gives me a nice cosy feeling :cool:
So I think I have found the a near perfect solution! :D

Edited by Tuftythesquirrel
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 10:43, coskev said:

Oh well I suppose the manufacturers of these silicone pipes have less knowledge than XMan by the sounds of it :dull:

the simple truth is hardly any of the manufacturers does proper testing for all known oils/chemicals etc. and it is safer for them to say that it is not designed for use with oil rather than spend time on testing... 3rd day today since I've put the silicon elbow in the oil no signs of disintegration, no change in thickness/hardness flexibility etc as far as I can tell nothing I can see that would make me concerned I will keep watching it for as long as it takes to prove you wrong... or right ;)

6 hours ago, XMANTURBOS said:

the simple truth is hardly any of the manufacturers does proper testing for all known oils/chemicals etc. and it is safer for them to say that it is not designed for use with oil rather than spend time on testing... 3rd day today since I've put the silicon elbow in the oil no signs of disintegration, no change in thickness/hardness flexibility etc as far as I can tell nothing I can see that would make me concerned I will keep watching it for as long as it takes to prove you wrong... or right ;)

You can leave it in there for years if you want,I will still take the manufacturers advice over your half arsed experiment whatever! :D

So don't you think if silicone pipe was safe to use for oil and fuels samco etc would advertise it as so?

Why would they do thereselves out of sales if it was safe to use?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coskev said:

You can leave it in there for years if you want,I will still take the manufacturers advice over your half arsed experiment whatever! :D

So don't you think if silicone pipe was safe to use for oil and fuels samco etc would advertise it as so?

Why would they do thereselves out of sales if it was safe to use?

because some fuels may affect it more than others and we are talking here about using it for oil return where there is no pressure and relatively small amount of oil going through (not a fuel hose where petrol or diesel for example is much more damaging) and that qualifies for a brief contact they rate them for, anyway I'm not here to argue with you if you don't like it don't buy it everyone has a free choice what to go for as I said so far no one have reported a single issue and I'm pretty sure I would be the first to know if there was one... I'm going to continue my test regardless just to be 100% sure but it doesn't seem likely for the silicon elbow to get worse any time soon.

Edited by XMANTURBOS

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'm assuming the bucket/bowl of oil is heated to about 90c constantly as well? 

Not much point leaving it in a cold bucket of oil is there?

the silicon hoses are heat resistant to 260C according to the manufacturer so I don't really think that it will make much of a difference especially that hot oil will drain way quicker than thick cold one 

On 3 April 2017 at 18:23, tubbytommy said:

That is flourosilicone lined pipe,not normal air/water silicone pipe(which I suspect is what is supplied in xmans return kit)

But it still states;

Samco Fuel And Oil hose is specially manufactured with a fluorosilicone liner which allows the hose to resist short term contact with oil and petrol fluids, and permanent contact from their vapours, making them ideal for oil or fuel filler neck assemblies or oil breather plumbing.

Note: This hose type is not suitable for permanent fuel or oil transfer (fuel or oil lines), or immersion in fuel or oil. 

Hi All,

Just another thought...

I had this made up at a hydraulic engineers on Friday. I wanted a bit of feedback on whether anyone thinks it will fit.

There is a 18mm to 1/2" BSP fitting that will thread into the block. The 1/2" hydraulic pipe is stainless steel braid and PTFE lined so it should be more than up to the oil/temperature environment. This is a snug fit over the barb on the turbo. The only thing I'm not sure about is does anyone think it is too big i.e. where the pipe fitting comes out of the block and goes upward towards the turbo.

The hydraulic engineer said he could reduce the length of the swage/crimp. So if it reduced from 35mm to 20mm this would give me another 15mm more to play with.

If anyone has the undertray off this week and has a GTB2260 fitted, would it be possible to get some dimensions i.e. from the threaded inlet to the block, up to the oil return flange on the turbo. It would be appreciated. There isn't any point in me doing any measuring, since I've still got the standard turbo fitted.

Cheers, me dears.

Oil return 2.jpg

Oil return 3.jpg

Oil return 4.jpg

• Like 1

I've sold my car so can't look!

But got a feeling you might be better off with a 90 degree bend,but not 100% sure!

Lofty off here has a engine on a stand currently, so he should be able to give you a good idea,apart from the fact his is on a tubular manifold.

I've fiddled with this in the past on my old turbo (2260 on cast manifold also). To be perfectly honest, I think that it's going to be miles too long :(  I had to substantially cut down the connector from the block and the one off the turbo. Best solution was a 90 degree piece in the end.

Can't get to mine easy at the moment as there's half a car surrounding it, but I'm going AN10 angled fittings on the block and turbo drain with a short run of AN10 oil resistant pipe between, the fitting in the block you're right is an M18x 1.5 fitting so the possibilities are endless. I'll get pics of my one up in due course

10 minutes ago, alex_e3 said:

I've fiddled with this in the past on my old turbo (2260 on cast manifold also). To be perfectly honest, I think that it's going to be miles too long :(  I had to substantially cut down the connector from the block and the one off the turbo. Best solution was a 90 degree piece in the end.

+1

Looks far too long in my opinion. Mine is a really ugly sight, but is sealed and therefore does the job. Jubilee clamped rubber hose bodged together with the original oil return line. I have a 90 degree elbow made from some some hydraulic piping, originally I wanted an elbow with a braided line to mate with the sump, ended up just keeping the elbow and making do with some oil hose.

Good luck with finding one that matches up. It will be a real trial and error situation. Just make sure it is sealed and isn't leaking. Despite it not being under pressure, oil really does flow through it once the engine is running.

JRJG

Thanks for the input. Next week I'm going back and trawling through the 3 bays of fittings he has and looking for a "compact elbow" I think its called. It will have a 90 degree bend, which mimics the way most people, including XMan, have done it. To keep the length to a minimum, if I crop the barb section down to 20mm (the width of a 20mm Mikalore clamp), this will probably give me another 40mm. I will then be able to fit a straight section of the teflon/stainless pipe. See picture.

Proposal.jpg

Edited by Tuftythesquirrel
pic wrong

1 hour ago, Tuftythesquirrel said:

Thanks for the input. Next week I'm going back and trawling through the 3 bays of fittings he has and looking for a "compact elbow" I think its called. It will have a 90 degree bend, which mimics the way most people, including XMan, have done it. To keep the length to a minimum, if I crop the barb section down to 20mm (the width of a 20mm Mikalore clamp), this will probably give me another 40mm. I will then be able to fit a straight section of the teflon/stainless pipe. See picture.

Proposal.jpg

That looks a lot better. 

The only concern is you have zero movement to allow for minor discrepancies in the mating of the pipe to the sump. Hence why a short length of flexible pipe is a good option.

Hopefully it will match up for you though! 

JRJG 

Cheers for that guys. I was trying to learn by other peoples issues. By my reckoning the elbow needs to point upwards at a distance of about 80mm out from the side of the engine block. Hopefully, it should then point almost directly at the turbo oil return flange. With both items mounted I should be able to measure the length between the barb connectors and cut the oil pipe to length. 

quick update on the test elbow - day 20 - took the elbow out looks exactly as when it was put in the oil, checked the surfaces with sharp blade no signs of any melting down/softening etc. the elbow is now back in the oil the test will continue

You really are wasting your time! :D

Who will take a bloke that sells reconned turbos word over the manufacturer of the silicone pipes advice on what's safe?

5 hours ago, coskev said:

You really are wasting your time! :D

Who will take a bloke that sells reconned turbos word over the manufacturer of the silicone pipes advice on what's safe?

Kevin what I do with my own time is not your concern as far as I know and just let everyone decide for himself who and what to believe in instead of spreading your negative attitude all over the place

Sorry Rich :blink:

Two pics attached of silicone pipe that's just come off a V8 Westfield,the new owner was complaining of a bad petrol smell and found these silicone pipes had been fitted by the original owner(probably told by the seller they were safe for fuel use,ring any bells?)and were letting fuel bleed out threw the silicone.

You can see discolouration where the fuel is coming threw the silicone. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by coskev