Help please car wouldnt move

ola80

No, many, many good flywheels have been scrapped when they could have been re-used. But it is a gamble. 

Just because it appears good at the time doesn't mean it will last the life of another clutch which is why I personally believe in changing the DMF with every clutch. There are certain circumstances where I wouldn't though depending on mileage and known history of the car or whether I was keeping it etc.

You say that; I say that I've done 134_000 miles and counting on the original clutch and DMF.

• Like 1

Does that mean the engine was revving up without the car moving forward when clutch released and accelerator pressed?

they put it in 5th gear with the handbrakes on and got out of the car and it was still running

You say that; I say that I've done 134_000 miles and counting on the original clutch and DMF.

the car has currently done 147k miles on it, with that mileage is it possible the dmf could still be reused, and will it last long if it is reused?

• Like 1

Have they split the box off the engine? If they haven't, then there is no way they can have properly tested the DMF to see if it needs replacing.

no, they just said i will need to change the dmf as well. i will ask them to check that the dmf actually needs changing before they change it.

no, they just said i will need to change the dmf as well. i will ask them to check that the dmf actually needs changing before they change it.

At that mileage - change anyway - If you have to change later you have to pay for the labour again

the car has currently done 147k miles on it, with that mileage is it possible the dmf could still be reused, and will it last long if it is reused?

Well, you're clearly as mechanically sympathetic a driver as I am or else do lots of long motorway tags at steady speed, so there is no reason to think that the DMF is overheated, or that the vibration damper inserts are worn.

I'm saying that it should be proven worn rather than replaced as a matter of course.

Which proves my point exactly. If your clutch required replacing tomorrow you wouldn't put a new clutch in with a flywheel that had done 134,000. If you were going to keep the car it makes sense to change both and not have to worry about it failing and having to take the gearbox off again.

That's how I see it anyway

Which proves my point exactly. If your clutch required replacing tomorrow you wouldn't put a new clutch in with a flywheel that had done 134,000. If you were going to keep the car it makes sense to change both and not have to worry about it failing and having to take the gearbox off again.

That's how I see it anyway

No it doesn't; all it proves is that a DMF can do 6 figure mileage without becoming "worn out". My point is that you don't know how worn the DMF is without inspecting it which you clearly haven't done since the box is still in the car.

£600 poorer, car all done and was delivered today thanks everyone for your help.

Took it for a drive tonight feel better, thou I notice some juddering when i change gear, its very prominent when going up from 1st to 2nd - is this normal after a clutch and dmf change?

£600 poorer, car all done and was delivered today thanks everyone for your help.

Took it for a drive tonight feel better, thou I notice some juddering when i change gear, its very prominent when going up from 1st to 2nd - is this normal after a clutch and dmf change?

Drive it for a few days to let it bed in, if still a problem after then - take it back

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Drive it for a few days to let it bed in, if still a problem after then - take it back

Hi all,

Just an update, since i had the clutch and dmf done, i have been having problem getting the vechile in gear, espeacially first gear, reverse and i find it difficulty to come down gears from 3rd - 2nd and then it is impossible to come down to 1st - have to come to a complete stop and then battle with the gears.

I have taken back to the garage three times now, the first time they said they need to adjust the link, it was ok for a day and then it got worse, they have bleed the brakes and then  today they said they had to change the slave as they didn't think it need changing when the clutch and dmf was done and that am still having issues then the brake servo will need to be changed and i will have to pay for it.

can anyone help, is it just a coincidence that after they change my clutch the gears stopped to engage and i dont really think they know what the problem is .

Thanks

I think on this car the clutch slave cylinder is on top of the gearbox so is an easy/cheap job (One the Superb II 2.0CR diesel it's a concentric one inside the bellhousing - gearbox off expensive job!) 

Brake servo nothing to do with the clutch! - I think the garage might be referring to the clutch master cylinder (fluid fed from the brake master cylinder fluid reservoir)  - which if replacing the slave cylinder doesn't fix it would be the next job

• Like 1

I think on this car the clutch slave cylinder is on top of the gearbox so is an easy/cheap job (One the Superb II 2.0CR diesel it's a concentric one inside the bellhousing - gearbox off expensive job!) 

Brake servo nothing to do with the clutch! - I think the garage might be referring to the clutch master cylinder (fluid fed from the brake master cylinder fluid reservoir)  - which if replacing the slave cylinder doesn't fix it would be the next job

Sorry yes it was the clutch master cylinder.  so how does this suddenly become the problem after the clutch and dmf got changed

As an "older person", I can sort of answer this.

Back in the 1960s and 70s hydraulic clutch slave cylinders used to fail fairly regularly (say every 50_000 miles or so) due to wear on the seals. Frequently, but not always, the master cylinder would fail within 6 months of the slave being replaced, normally due to the extra load placed on the master seals by the brand new slave.

• Like 1

Sorry yes it was the clutch master cylinder.  so how does this suddenly become the problem after the clutch and dmf got changed

My guess is the slave cylinder was disturbed during the changing of the clutch (It has to be moved when gearbox removed). It's worth double checking that the clutch hydraulic pipes and unions aren't leaking. Likewise if you can peel back the outer rubber of the slave cylinder to look out for clutch/brake fluid