Project Pipe & Slippers - tweenster's 2014 Cappuccino Beige 1.2 TSI DSG Elegance Estate

tweenster

There are some amazing builds in the project forums and this will never compare to those, but it will serve as a record for me of the work completed on the car over time.

I collected the car on 20 Dec 16; it is very well specced with cruise control, climate control, heated seats, rear parking sensors, spare wheel, removable tow hook, sunglasses holder, under seat storage boxes etc. It doesn't have sat nav or DAB radio but I hope to add these at some point in the future. The car was advertised as 'beige' which was somewhat offputting but the colour is actually really nice, it seems to be more of a grey but can look gold or silver in certain light conditions.

So here she is:

20161220_152259.thumb.jpg.380b4b14a96875d72c44943ab6539190.jpg

It is really nice to drive, very relaxing and stress free; the engine/gearbox combination is great and I am seeing over 40mpg quite easily. So far I have de-badged the rear and ordered silver indicator bulbs and rubber floor mats. On the 'To do' list are:

-   Fit mud flaps front and rear.

-   Sound proof boot area.

-   Re-map to approx 130bhp (probably Shark but decision not yet made).

-   Bilstein/Eibach B12 suspension kit.

-   Fit sat nav/DAB radio - this may have to wait as we are currently refubishing a Victorian house that seems to suck up all of our money at present!).

This will be  slow burning thread so there won't be daily/weekly updates; I expect you can live with that!

Edited by tweenster

Nice looking car, my wife wanted that colour on her Yeti. Don't listen to the voices in your head when it comes to customising (I did and nearly got away with it:) )

• Like 1

I've almost done everything on your list!

Front and rear genuine mud flaps, they make a good difference to dirt on the side of the car. Nice and easy to fit and look great!

Didn't sound proof anything but going to on my new Monte.

NVM remapped mine, claimed 130bhp but doesn't feel as fast as my previous 130bhp so can't say I would use them again!

I went for Bilstein B14 adjustable coilovers, very happy with them!

I fitted a RNS510 Columbus satnav / DAB unit, definitely looks the part below the digital climate control as well!

• Like 1

I've almost done everything on your list!

Front and rear genuine mud flaps, they make a good difference to dirt on the side of the car. Nice and easy to fit and look great!

Didn't sound proof anything but going to on my new Monte.

NVM remapped mine, claimed 130bhp but doesn't feel as fast as my previous 130bhp so can't say I would use them again!

I went for Bilstein B14 adjustable coilovers, very happy with them!

I fitted a RNS510 Columbus satnav / DAB unit, definitely looks the part below the digital climate control as well!

Thanks hutchy. Shark are reasonably close to me and have good reviews which is why they are my preferred option at this moment. I don't need adjustable coilovers as once set I would never adjust them!

The RNS510 will definitely be on my list of headunits to consider when I get around to changing.

First bit of personalisation completed: Dealer sticker removed from rear windscreen (need to purchase a new Briskoda one to replace it); rear end de-badged; pressed number plates in holders fitted (so no more nasty screws on show in the plates); rubber floor mates arrived so they went straight in; silver indicator bulbs fitted in the headlights - I've also bought bulbs to do the rear lights but forgot what a pain in the arse they are so will wait for a warmer day!

Should also mention that the car has 4 electric windows and cornering lights.

Mud flaps next and then a good clean, polish and wax is required.

Drove the car today for the first time without passengers. It's hard to believe that the car has just a 1.2 engine as when you put your foot down the DSG decides what is the best gear and then it just goes; very impressive.

I had an Elegance once :)

Was chuffed when it cam it came with the electric sunroof, I've even used it two or three times

Boot space isn't that far down on the Octavia, and is big enough for us as a a family of 4 adults to go away for a week

I'm sure you'll get on fine with it

• 5 months later...

For one reason or another I haven't spent much time driving the car since I bought it, but have been racking up the commuting miles over the last 3 weeks or so. It really is very relaxing and stress free to drive and I am regularly seeing in excess of 50 mpg on my 23 mile commute. I have soundproofed the boot area but that is the only item on my mod list completed so far - renovating a house seems to take all of my money!

I told you it would be a slow burner!

So, mud flaps have been fitted along with a dog guard and today I did a deal with Brimma for his 17" Braid wheels. These will be stored away for the winter and will be refinished in before being fitted next spring, hopefully along with some Eibach springs and a re-map.

Just don't hold your breath!