2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

Neither VJ nor Bob Fearnley were at Spa so the drivers (almost literally) got away with murder - in the absence of senior management.

However, said billionaire has "intervened a bit" in the last week according to his deputy, so the kid's cards are marked from now on.

Edited by camelspyyder

• Administrators

The driver penalties are now looking absurd. Dock team points instead. Verstappen on pole would have been interesting till his engine failed. Still, think it's a young guns display de force in the damper conditions, let's face it, in the wet, I think we're all a bit slower than when we were young and invincible.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

Yeah, they grid is all over the place, Sainz got a penalty but ended up one place further forwards :D 

Yes but if give Ricardo and Red Bull chance to show how good they are.

Ricky Bobby hitting 355 kph thru the speed-trap,  over 220 !

Ferrari having a mare.

Hams race to lose which he nearly did putting wheels in the gravel at high speed.

Mercedes cruised that. Hamilton said he was saving his engine after turn 1 Lap 1. I think they hid their real advantage in that race.

Ferrari boss Marchione put the boot in to his team after the race too. Team principal Arrivabene alongside did not look happy.

• Like 1

Ferrari are meant to dominate in Singapore but I'm not so sure. Momentum could be a key factor and it is not with Ferrari yet. I was surprised that Bottas was able to pass Ocon and Stroll a lot easier than Vettel despite the Mercedes issues with dirty air

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

Specific to that race? Or overall do you think they're just playing with everyone? 

Just that race.  They haven't been cruising along all year letting Vettel lead the title race. It would be so dangerous. Hamilton lost the title last year through a random engine blow up, it could happen again.

Anyway I reckon the next track favours Ferrari, as does Brazil. The other 5 circuits are pretty even. I'd say the odds are still with Vettel - just.

30 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

Just that race.  They haven't been cruising along all year letting Vettel lead the title race. It would be so dangerous. Hamilton lost the title last year through a random engine blow up, it could happen again.

Anyway I reckon the next track favours Ferrari, as does Brazil. The other 5 circuits are pretty even. I'd say the odds are still with Vettel - just.

:D Yeah I was going to say. 

With the limit on engine units per year they're very quick now to drop the mode down and give it an easy weekend if they get the chance. You could see before they even started, as long as Lewis was out the first two corners with his lead intact then that would have been the plan.

Mention to Danny Ric, the move on Kimi was very impressive! I'd love to see him (and Max) in a front running car against Ham/Vet in closely matched machinery. 

Should be good to see how it develops over the next coupe of races, I'll always back a Brit but I want to him work for it. 

Interesting about just how much oil the Ferrari and Mercedes were burning ie 1.2 litres in a race, in addition to fuel, now reduced to 900 cc, still pretty shocking amount of lube to use up in such as small engine, worse than my twin charge.

Shame both Red Bulls were so handicapped by the penalties as it would have been lots more fun to watch at the front.  Sooner the move to teams getting points taken from the Constructor championship and not the driver the better for the sport which is a shadow of what MotoGP is to watch and even people like Lauda says so.    

• Like 1

Even though on paper Ferrari should be quicker in Singapore, I can see Red Bull being faster. They had better race pace than Ferrari today on a power track. Then after that, at tracks that may suit Mercedes, Red Bull could easily snatch a podium. Could work both ways though

• Like 2

Autosport reporting Sainz has signed for Renault, clearing the way for ToroRosso / McLaren engine swap.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131722/sainz-renault-deal-sets-up-mclaren-changes

Palmer could be out from Sepang this year.

Alonso to stay on in a McLaren - Renault MCL33 then?

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...and his aero team screwed up this year. It's taken all season to correct their wind tunnel correlation errors. McLaren probably have a quicker chassis.

So this was supposed to be a championship year for Dan (or Max), and it's not even close.

In the future, if Renault dump RBR after next season then they'd be looking at 2 years tugging Hondas about...

until new sugar-daddy Porsche buys into RBR for the new engine formula in 2021.

That's the paddock rumour. A Porsche takeover.

Cant imagine Daniel or Max hanging about that long though.

Edited by camelspyyder