Fabia 1.4 power steering fluid

rpuma

• 2 weeks later...
i think you will find that it's a problem with the sensor rather than the fluid.

Whereabouts is the sensor on a year 2000 Fabia 16V? Can I clean the electrical contact etc?:confused:

If I can see the power steering reservoir I will check the level and top up if needed.

I have the symptom where this warning lamp now is lit. Steering is unimaginably heavy and I fear to drive it. Garage says they need to plug it in to diagnose and whether it is the sensor or the pump or otherwise it will be a few days before they can fix. What can I do in the mean time.:confused:

Just found the answer to the sensor location.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/466239-post4.html

Also other threads say the power steering reservoir is under the battery. Handy location or what?

Sorry to do a wasteful post - Did a search a few days ago and didn't get nearly as many relevant threads as I did just now.

i meant to post about this a while ago when i first took my car in about pas problems, i got told where the fluid is by the most aggressive technican ever after he tried to show me on a new showroom faiba the newer fabs the resovouir is easy to get to, my fabia hidden under the battery and all the plastic which u have remove to get to, as u can understand something that will take 15 mins rather then 1 min lol

if the lights flickering on and off and ur losing steering its most likely the pas sensor which skoda paid 50% towards on mine warranty the other 50 and i paid a big fat 0 :)

i meant to post about this a while ago when i first took my car in about pas problems' date=' i got told where the fluid is by the most aggressive technican ever after he tried to show me on a new showroom faiba the newer fabs the resovouir is easy to get to, my fabia hidden under the battery and all the plastic which u have remove to get to, as u can understand something that will take 15 mins rather then 1 min lol

if the lights flickering on and off and ur losing steering its most likely the pas sensor which skoda paid 50% towards on mine warranty the other 50 and i paid a big fat 0 :)[/quote']

Thanks for your reply.

I found a pale green screw cap and guessed that is must be power steering fluid reservoir. The cap has a short plastic 'dip stick' that was only just touching the level of the fluid. Called local dealership who said I could take it in later in the afternoon for them to plug it in to look for error codes. However it would be Wednesday before they could book it in once they had ordered parts.

I took it round the local independent servicing garage described the intermittent nature of the fault and within 3 minutes :thumbup: the reservoir had been topped up and fault has now gone. No sign of a leak and only a small amount of PAS fluid used to top up. (First time in my knowledge since I bought it in 2000)

I have to say I am disappointed with the Skoda dealers service desk response. I feel I would have turned up in the afternoon after struggling several miles with the steering, to be told it was a sensor and then having to leave it and get a taxi or bus home (because they never have courtesy cars) or drive home struggling with the steering to return it later in the week for the fix. Bet they would have topped of the reservoir and charged me for some part! I think independent dealers have a lot going for them and my opinion of franchised garages is very low at the moment considering the labour charges and the experiences of my family and friends with their Skodas.

Watch out the level isnt dropping.

The racks leak internally and fill the boots up.

I had this happen with an Audi 100 I once owned. It got through a couple of pints of power steering fluid with no signs of a leak. I was more than baffled until the dealer diagnosed that a seal in the rack was leaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If your rack is leaking , you'll need a new one. I had to do mine earlier this year as my power steering went just as you describe - altho i didnt see any warning lamp- To have a new rack fitted cost me £677. I hope I dont have to do that again , however with all the sleeping policemen I have to go over each day it wouldnt suprise me if I had to fit another rack in a year or 2!