Door open detector not working

Hi All, you get one thing fixed (coolant temperature sensor) and you notice something else is wrong...

I have noticed for a while that the on-board computer (dot matrix in the centre of the dash) is not detecting the passenger door opening (the back doors are both fine). I put this down to a previous water ingress problem, no big deal. However, I have now noticed it on the driver's side too. Irritating and slightly more serious as it does not alert you when you've left your lights on. Also after a short delay it locks down the car's doors even when you have entered the car, and it can activate the alarm siren if you don't put the key in the ignition quickly enough.

I've found a few things on our Audi cousins' web sites such as this:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/112069-Lock-microswitch-problem-Door-open-signal-failure-Car-may-lock-you-out-May-affect-other-VAG-vehicles?s=f73ee61662494e43f764118923b918df

The suggestion is to remove the door card, remove the lock, remove the microswitch and clean/replace. I don't have the time for all that :dull: , does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Your choice of likely issues is:

Water ingress pooling under the passenger carpet and corroding the joints in the wiring bundle and possibly the CCM module.  

Broken wire(s) in the rubber bellows between the door and door pillar.

Dodgy connections in the door lock...either the microswitches or degraded solderd joints.

I'd suspect the door lock unit.  It can be repaired, but at around £20 from ebay it's a lot less trouble to just put in a new one. Something like this:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Front-Right-Door-Lock-Mechanism-Actuator-For-GOLF-MK4-PASSAT-B5-UQ02-/281118388269?hash=item4173f6302d:g:~EkAAOSwHoFXvFbQ

Here is some help: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/door-lock-assembly-module-removal-handle-removal-mk4-vw/

There will be many other "how to" descriptions online.

When you've fixed the driver's door, you can then set about the passenger door!

Let us know how you get on.   It's a bit of a pain, but you'll be pleased once it's working again.

Don't forget to re-seal the metal plate window carrier, or youll have water coming in!

Silicone sealant after bolting the plate back will be OK, though the car will smell for a couple of days.

Then do the passenger door before you forget how to do it all!