Autonomous driving

rickyang

16 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Simple explanation, exactly as I was saying: https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar?mbid=social_fb

It's the system's design limitation. Same limitation is present in ALL radar based systems.

6 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Simple explanation, exactly as I was saying: https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar?mbid=social_fb

It's the system's design limitation. Same limitation is present in ALL radar based systems.

IMO not worth having and for Tesla leading to even more bad publicity.

Why do the NHTSA investigate when they know the answer is in the programming?.

This ‘transition’ period is one to avoid...... distraction enabled drivers(?) potentially all around you and as for the laws around use of communication devices (texting etc) whilst driving.......HA!

About as much of a toy as that system in our cheap n cheerful Astra.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I must have missed that part in the news articles where it stated that she and her family are avid followers of the Briskoda Forum. 

8 hours ago, Fin69 said:

I think I must have missed that part in the news articles where it stated that she and her family are avid followers of the Briskoda Forum. 

And that matters how?!? 

Police say Uber car likely not at fault: http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/03/19/uber-self-driving-car-crash

No car is going to defy laws of physics if someone suddenly appear in front of it. The autonomous cars will have to be pre-programmed to drive into a river if a toddler suddenly appear in front. Because people seems to think human drivers have the ability to calculate preferred outcome within a millisecond.

Crashes happen, autonomous or not. But going autonomous will reduce a lot of the human uncertainty (errors, emotions, ego, etc), which is the main cause of accidents on the roads today.

That was a quick response from the police on what the reason was likely not to be, i suppose the pictures are telling them a story,

so if it was not the car / computer fault, it will be the person in the cars unless really there was no time to react, 

or they are saying the dead persons, or an act of god, one of those things, move along now, just take care and do not be near moving vehicles.

Never come out of the shadows into the dark....

If as described in the linked article then it is like many road accidents where someone does walk out infront of a  vehicle, 

and it is common, cars, vans, busses, lorries, trams & even trains.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Bad things will happen, regardless of circumstances a fatal incident is a fatal incident and is tragic for the family of those involved.

That the vehicle was an autonomous vehicle is secondary. On average in the US 16-17 pedestrian fatalities happen per day with human drivers. Yes, there's a lot more manned vehicles than autonomous on the roads, but people/media expecting there to never be an incident just because theres a computer driving instead of a meat-bag is just insane.

OK, further to the above someone on another forum I read posted the relevant video.

I've watched this video several times, and I literally could not see the pedestrian in the video picture until the headlight beams struck her. Of course, in that exact situation I'd have been driving on high beam since there was no opposing or close ahead traffic to be inconvenienced, but I think it speaks volumes about the inadequacy of that vehicle's low beams that you can't actually see 120 feet ahead.

From the footage, an alert human driver may have been able to mitigate the speed of collision, may be even non-fatal. To me, the shoes can be seen first, that point would be where an alert driver will slam on the brakes. But no driver is alert 100% of the time, so autonomous driving is still the future B)

From photos initially published, I thought the pedestrian came from nearside kerb so is unexpected for the car (the dent in the Volvo bonnet is to the nearside) But reality is that the pedestrian is already on the road in the shadow, the LIDAR based car should have registered it. This is definitely a bug in the programming.

Unfortunately I don't think vision based autonomous vehicle like Tesla will be able to detect the pedestrian. This edge-case is a very interesting problem. Just like automatic gearboxes (wet clutch, dry clutch, torque converter etc), there's trade-off to each implementation, and even now, it's up to the consumers to sip through the marketing mumble-jumbo to find the real information. Unfortunately car battery is the same and so will be AV.

Edited by wyx087

Hard to tell. A video doesn't = what the eye would have seen but clearly the 'safety' driver wasn't paying attention.

I have thought the LIDAR would have worked in the dark, I really didn't think it would be affected by dark clothes etc. After all it's a frickin laser and doesn't need to use the visible spectrum only.

Combination of factors as usual.

Person was wearing dark clothes and walked out into traffic in a dark area.

Safety driver wasn't in control of the vehicle

Vehicle systems did not detect a large object in the dark.

All of which are bad things for AVs to fail with.

But Uber is such a morally upstanding corporation I'm sure they'll make good on this and not just cover up, pass the blame and carry on.

• Like 1

From the Video.  

Out of the dark and not seen.  Moving person though, walking with a bike at right angles....

So is that no Radar then, no radar functioning that sees object ahead and incoming.   (that will be like the USA Nuclear Deterrent that the UK leases, crap.) 

no movement sensors, not even what is on current other vehicles with drivers, city safe, or was it just the vehicle was at a speed where that works?

• 2 months later...