2017 Website Upgrade

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Well it's been a ridiculously long time in coming. More U turns and false hope cliffs than I would normally care for on my behalf. 

We have to move to a new platform for the forum software, this is not something I have a choice on. Because the current software is end of life ( already ) and out of security maintenance soon. This is along with some elements of the underlying server stuff.

In short; change is forced upon us, I've delayed as long as I can while the various options; also delayed, were evaluated and became clearer and more concrete.

The change is a change, but it's not a huge one, not as huge as it could of been ;) There will be a degree of re-organisation of forums though, this will be published in due course.

You don't need to do anything today, I'll be announcing the actual upgrade in due course. It requires a a good few hours downtime to migrate data.

Please now see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/422729-2017-site-upgrade-discussion/ for details on testing

If you want to have a go with the new software then I have a test site, the operative word is test, there are aspects that won't look right and features not enabled and vice versa. It will let you experiment with the site. I invite you to and encourage you to do so.

The test site for which you will need to register on is https://ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk In case you missed it, it's a test site ;) Report gremlins on that site, or this topic by way of bumping it for all to see.

I was going to go for a grand reveal update... but this is softer and kinder.

We have to change, it's something we can all cope with. Here's to the new site when it comes... feel like the queen trying break a plastic bottle on a feather pillow.  :beer:

Edited by ColinD
redacting early preview url
3 people like this

44 answers to this question

TImeline for Upgrades

January 1st - 15th - Final tests  - Continue to eliminate all niggles. Perform 3 more test conversions ( 1xlocal 2xlive clones ).

January 23rd

Jan 25rd onwards Upgrade for real window opens, barring any issues in preceding tests.

Upgrade day - Site will be closed while migration takes place.

Upgrade+1/2 emergency fixes issues will be resolved. Not all features will be active; gallery etc, in order to keep issues and stress down ;)

Upgrade+N days - Install addtional components - gallery - shop etc

1 person likes this

Few new memebers = slightly less lonely there now :D

2 people like this

I like the header change - https://ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk/topic/29-header-change/ is it possible that the images can vary? As in, they transition to a new image every now and again regardless of what topic or section you are in?

Possibly... At the moment it's done in a very long winded way. I'm looking for a better way to do it, which is why only one is in place.

1 person likes this

Possibly... At the moment it's done in a very long winded way. I'm looking for a better way to do it, which is why only one is in place.

I did spot the Kodiaq theme at the bottom :D

That explains the intermitent massive empty space at the top of pages on mobile skin regardless of theme applied.. could be an error or (just as likely) me celluar device getting confused :)

No it's an error if you'r in that model F forum. It's not complete :) You should however be ok going to any other forum, unless you select it... The way it's done is a separate theme and as highlighted can be user selected; which isn't what I want; and it will mess up elsewhere; when I've figured out a non user selectable theme approach I'll optimise for mobile. ;) It's probably not going to make the release, I was scratching an itch.

1 person likes this

With the size of the font and the amount of categories there're, it's going to be a lot of scrolling on mobile and tablets, and even desktops for that matter. Sidebar on the left keeps throwing me off haha. :D

With the size of the font and the amount of categories there're, it's going to be a lot of scrolling on mobile and tablets, and even desktops for that matter. Sidebar on the left keeps throwing me off haha. :D

Theres less scrolling than at present on mobile :D

Theres less scrolling than at present on mobile :D

Well of course :notme:  - I'm talking about once the site has been upgraded silly!

:) I thought that, but actually... the font size bump and trimming a lot of padding nets out pretty close.

There is some in design circles who say more padding and more scrolling is ok now as on mobile it's a known thing, so it's ok. But it is something I'll be checking and ... the reorganisation will remove a lot of front forum stuff.  On my test screen it's roughly 9 'top level model' forum to the space the old one uses to show 4 top level... ok the current one has the sub fora too, but again for various % the sub fora for the citigo is of zero interest.

e.g.

Current

Octavia Owners Area

- Octavia MKI

- Octavia MK II

- Octavia MK III

and so on...

Fabia Owners Area

Great but of no real interest to a fabia owner.

New will be ( to be finalised )

Model Forums

- Octavia Owners Area

- Fabia Owners

The 'hidden subtree will be there for interested parties. There is a live activity feed too so depth and missing isn't a concern. 

There is an outside chance I'll rename the MKI, MKII etc to MKI 2002-2007 or whatever years... so the 'what mk do I have' isn't such an issue.

I'll be making the final decisions on the content/reorg after my next big import test, it's good long afternoon of watching web pages for next buttons... it's insane but there we go... 

1 person likes this

Sidebar on the left, missed that, yes. It's not there for mobile/tablet, no space. It will have relevant stuff in it. Need to make some more random posts up. In theory once it's all ticking along, it's like a mini feed for each area.

There is a lot of stuff it can do [ and can't boo ], that I've yet to test or actually feel the need to. So it's there, whilst I explore if the less is more angle will allow me to keep it... it kind of is atm.

Well, it all seems to work using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox. It took a while to find out where the sign out had got to (any chance it could be moved somewhere a bit more obvious) and the new password criteria could be an issue for some.

The only slight annoyance is that I am constantly being asked for permission for notifications through a thing called  Mozilla Web Push. Is this something that can be turned off on the website as I don't get it for any other sites (including the existing Briskoda site).

Keep up the good work.

The web push is new(ish) and you'll see it more and more.

If you say block it should not ask you over and over. If you say allow, then the site can push you notifications. This would be a notification of a reply to a topic or a mention etc.

It's not that common as it's new(ish) which is why it's not on the current site, other sites do do it, but it's a small number versus the millions of those that don't.

Sure, but as some folk still use password then, well the next version; yep I'm thinking about it already, will be passwordless login, this will be on the non the forum part of the new site first, but not for a bit.

Good to know it works on xp with firefox! In theory on IE it should fail due to the SSL cert ( again new ). I don't have XP, so I'm glad you did make it work.

RE signout, I hear you. I'll see. I like that everything is under one branched menu. Once you know to go there for most 'account' things life should be easier.

It's always the problem that new for those used to old means more upheaveal than someone new to the site the day after we upgrade. You and I bear the biggest disruption, of that I'm very aware.

I've added signout to the list of how to's ;)

Yes it is. On another software choice, it went so far as @groupname too. SO you could post a reply with hey @moderators or grab this bargin now @freedom etc.  This one does not, or not so as I've found.

Is there any way to update/edit/delete an event once added to the calendar?

Should be, but it might not be enabled on a default member profile. I'll check on my next pass. all the permissions get thrown out and redone on the import ( sort of ) so all need a full review post migration.

1 person likes this

I joined up too.

I take it there won't be any issues with me having the same name in both places ? I didn't think as far as making a new name.

on here, both mobile and desktop, I always go to "view new content" to see what's new and I like the filters for time lines and for only things I follow

I can see this relates to the "unread content" in top left especially as that does things by thread/topic

is there an anticipated need for the "what's new" button on the right which shows all the new posts for every topic, and all the activity "X liked this", "Y quoted Z's post here", "B and D followed a topic" which will get very very busy once the site has everyone involved? 

Whats new - Yep. Makes little sense on a the quite board.

Activity might be the key. Some folks are runnign that as there 'home' page over the forum index.

No issue using the same name, test site is separated and won't be used for conversion.

So unreadcontent, is akin to new content... 

https://ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk/discover/unread/

It's a reinvention of that system, so technically there is no more 'view new content'. Time will tell if it's better. For those who filter, it will be.

One feature ( in another software ) that I cant' yet replicate is the ability to pick your own. So you pick Octavia forums, general car chat, and say scotland social. Everything else is essentially hidden by a very thin layer. It's good, could be very useful but sadly not an out of the box feature here.

So unreadcontent, is akin to new content... 

https://ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk/discover/unread/

It's a reinvention of that system, so technically there is no more 'view new content'. Time will tell if it's better. For those who filter, it will be.

I joined up too.

I take it there won't be any issues with me having the same name in both places ? I didn't think as far as making a new name.

on here, both mobile and desktop, I always go to "view new content" to see what's new and I like the filters for time lines and for only things I follow

I can see this relates to the "unread content" in top left especially as that does things by thread/topic

is there an anticipated need for the "what's new" button on the right which shows all the new posts for every topic, and all the activity "X liked this", "Y quoted Z's post here", "B and D followed a topic" which will get very very busy once the site has everyone involved? 

A lot were against it, but I actually think it works very well. And the unread content button is still there and works in the same way. But even better is that you can filter what you see and make your own stream for certain forums. :nerd: