West Meon #47 07 Feb 2017

BJB540

As always mainly a formality these days, but posting for any new comers.

Tuesday 07th February 2017, 19:00 onwards at the West Meon Pub, GU32 1JX.

People arrive from 18:45 though.

EDIT -

Thought it was worth everyone knowing the outcome below as that could impact us all regardless.

Short Version:

I complained, I spoke to Marstons Regional Manager, they are looking to offload the West Meon Hut (well he is certainly), so it might not be a potential place anymore. So that begs the question of what we do next? Do we continue to stay at the Meon and play it out? Or do we look to move elsewhere? Maybe something we can talk about and discuss next month? There are a good few options around the area that sit on the main roads, not just the Red Lion in Petersfield, though that could still be a viable option.

Longer Version:

So some of you might of guessed I was a bit annoyed last meet at just another month of poor service. Austen, I'm sure won't mind me saying, wrote to them nearly a year ago and got the 20% off for everyone due to poor service, that one meet.

Well I wrote to them again Tuesday night, well actually I wrote to the CEO of Marstons. I've since had replies from his PA, directly from one of his Directors and this evening from the Regional Manager.

The gist of it quite simply is, they wish they had never bought the pub, they can't achieve a good turnover and cannot recruit cost effectively to staff it suitably or in his words "have decent chefs or a good front of house team". Which I think we all gathered...

Anyway, the Regional Manager is passing the pub onto another area of the business, as simply he's done with it. It ran well for Melissa as she had family working with her to support her, that isn't happening with new management and thus the recruitment and general issues.

If it fails in the other area of the business, if it gets to them, it's likely to be leased out/sold anything to make it not a problem. The Regional Manager will keep me in the loop as to progress longer term.

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone at all and I wouldn't try to, but what I did say is I personally would be happy to support it through change if there was light at the end of the tunnel (so to speak), if not I'd personally rather go elsewhere. The response I got, reading between the lines was effectively, somewhere else might be better, this pub does not fit "our" (Marstons) philosophy anyway hence why they wish they never bough it and potentially are looking to off load.

But it may well mean, regardless of anything the West Meon as we know it might not remain as is, if at all.

So that begs the question of what we do next? Do we continue to stay at the Meon or do we look to move elsewhere? Maybe something we can talk about and discuss next month? There are a good few options around the area that sit on the main roads, not just the Red Lion in Petersfield, though that could still be a viable option.
Edited by BJB540
  • Like 2

Dang :-(

Hopefully by the time I actually make another one of these it will all be sorted, either being a new place or that west meon has been revamped :-)

Quite possibly revamped/re-owned. Who knows!? 

Basically as above, can't promise anything as they cannot promise the staff will be available ever due to lack of workers in the area.

Quite possibly revamped/re-owned. Who knows!?

Basically as above, can't promise anything as they cannot promise the staff will be available ever due to lack of workers in the area.

Ha might see what wages they're offering.....

Good email Ben, not the response that I was expecting especially from a large chain such as Marstons, basically to turn round and say we are trying to get shot of it. Understandable about the recruitment etc. its quite a remote/affluent area and you need to drive to be able to get to the location. 

With regards to a new location, its a shame the Meon has dropped down as the location is prime, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays as a pub and goes through a change of ownership, its quite an iconic location for a lot of people. 

anyway we shall see what happens!

• Like 1

Loomies opposite went through a similar thing, the bikers ended up chipping in and buying it between themselves and opening when they wanted.

We could so something similar, I have £150 I could put in!!  ;)

• Like 2

Loomies opposite went through a similar thing, the bikers ended up chipping in and buying it between themselves and opening when they wanted.

We could so something similar, I have £150 I could put in!!  ;)

Might need to cough up a wee bit more mate ;)

Could have a look at Seven Stars (I think that's the name) a little further down the A272, might be a good shout. Just depends on what people want.

For me, it makes no odds, I'd go anywhere to see you sexy lot <3.

• Like 2

If we go with the Seven Stars we may have to change dates as one of the Triumph clubs meets there on our night, hence the odd Stag and GT6 that goes past whilst we're stood in the car park. Also think it might be a bit pricier than the West Meon even in non two-for-one mode.

Also don't think the Petersfield Wetherspoons is a real long term solution. The pub is good enough but location isn't. It's not just the distance from the car park but when you want to take other people's cars for a blast you have to negotiate Petersfield before you can put your foot down.

I think we need a big car park, a good road and decent food in that order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, andsoutham said:

I should actually be able to make this, thought it was tonight but realised we are still in January haha

Are we still meeting at the meon for this month?

Yes see no reason not too for now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2017 at 19:50, austenw90 said:

What on earth has hapenned to this forum. Has someone tried to fix something that isn't broken? 

a mate of mine in the biker community mentioned that Loomies are looking to get some car clubs in; I guess they know the Hut is failing and are trying to do something (cash in). Might be worth contacting them?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lee01 said:

a mate of mine in the biker community mentioned that Loomies are looking to get some car clubs in; I guess they know the Hut is failing and are trying to do something (cash in). Might be worth contacting them?

This is a great idea Lee. Will investigate. 

• Like 2

Just now, austenw90 said:

This is a great idea Lee. Will investigate. 

Nice one. The location is great, that's why Sam and I originally chose the Hut. Not sure what food they do but as it was a Little Thief many years ago I would think they still have the catering kit.

• Like 1