Where do you fill up? Supermarket fuel vs Brand name premium

Eyesee

Morning all,

Cheapest supermarket diesel for my Roomster (use petrolprices.com), but always add Millers Ecomax additive, and use their oil.  Have done in all my diesels since 1988.

Seems to run very well, starts promptly, gives great MPG, managed over 70mpg yesterday evening the 85miles back from near Congleton to Wakefield, lots of slow stoppy-starty stuff up the M6, M60 also varied, M62 better; and with a loo and snack and texting stop at Birch, took best part of 3 hours. 

Memo to self; set off for home sooner next time, preferably by 3pm, have done it non-stop in 1hr 50mins.

Richard

• Like 1

For my Superb is V-Power diesel and only Shell.

Now on my 6th tank of V-Power and already starting to show better mpg, well nearly as my right foot likes the noise!

• 3 months later...

I think it depends on the car tbh.  I had a Honda  accord  2.2 vtec that did actually run  better and return better mpg  on  shell v power to an extent  it was cheaper  to run on that. 

However my superb  1.9 tdi  130  showed no difference  on v power Diesel infact  it was fractionally  worse. 

Got a 1.4tsi  superb now  and I've been running it on supermarket  fuel no problem.  It's  only done 450 miles though.  In the summer when I can drive  long drives  that I can replicate I will try the v power  petrol again to do a comparison  over 5 or so tank fulls. 

I  know this is not a new post.

Honestly putting in high performance fuel at the pump if your car does not require it is a waste of money.  95 Octane (RON) is a standard that has to be met for ALL unleaded sold on garage forecourts

Unless your car’s user manual specifically specifies otherwise (i.e a very high performance engine) you should only use petrol with an octane rating of 95.  (unless you want to throw away money)

As well as my normal car .. I also have a 5.7L V8 250hp motor - and I just use standard Tesco 95 RON .............. runs absolutely fine.

I understand you may not trust an unknown small fuel outlet ... but Tesco/Sainsbury/Morrison's   95RON will be as good as any other 95RON

As to fuel additives ..... on my high performance motor once a year I run one tank full of fuel with an stabiliser/cleaner additive ... but that is mainly due to fact I don't use it over winter and don't want any issues with condensation in the fuel.

Years ago people used to regularly put Redex in their fuel - forecourts had Redex pumps ..... no more as it is not needed.

Standards are there to protect you, that is the point of them - so you know the minimum you are getting.....   95RON is 95RON .... wherever you get it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I worked in the fuel additives industry a few years ago. We ran many field test vehicles to validate our formulations. A good additive package makes a huge difference, especially for keeping injectors and inlet valves clean.
Not all additives are the same, the biggest problem and hence cost is the development of heat stable detergents. The dose is important too some fuels have a keep clean dose, others (premium fuels) have a clean up dose.

So no official Secrets act.  Insiders seem to never say, or say where they buy their fuel.

Was Royal Dutch Shell additive packages better than Greenergy, Was the V-Power+ so much better than Fuelsave from Shell.

or was BP the best.   What about Esso or say Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury.

9 minutes ago, mark999 said:

I worked in the fuel additives industry a few years ago. We ran many field test vehicles to validate our formulations. A good additive package makes a huge difference, especially for keeping injectors and inlet valves clean.
Not all additives are the same, the biggest problem and hence cost is the development of heat stable detergents. The dose is important too some fuels have a keep clean dose, others (premium fuels) have a clean up dose.

So which is best, in your opinion, having been directly involved?

A local fuel depot, told me the Tesco momentum with its additives was very good.

• Like 1

I always wait for someone that was in the industry to confirm.

That the Royal Dutch Shell Additive package in Shell V-Power+ Super Unleaded 99 minimum is exactly the same Additive package as in Greenergy / Tesco Momentum 99 Super Unleaded 99 minimum  and now Costco Super Unleaded 99 ron minimum.

Someday someone might confirm or totally refute.     I know what the drivers say.

Some want the octane in their cars, and are not caring about Detergents, especially in the type of engine where bore wash can be an issue, 

especially the engines where the manufacturers recommend Long Life Oils / Variable services but where they can be excessive Oil Users.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

Edited by AwaoffSki

I buy Shell as its nearest, Sainsbury’s or Tesco

As well as car (Diesel) I run a high performance boat (Petrol).  ... I have never experienced any difference in performance or economy.

For example as long as petrol is made to 95 RON standard ... good enough for me.

Same thing ... people used to have issue with petrol saying it will go off if kept more than 3 months.   Maybe back in the 50’s ... but I leave my boat tank full over winter layup ... it starts first time and runs without problem after 6 months  layup.

Modern fuels are much better.

• Like 1

It’s difficult to say definitively as formulations will have changed. You won’t go wrong with any branded fuel. Tesco momentum is indeed very good and I always fill up my petrol vehicles with it when I’m passing. Up until recently they had a link to independent testing which found that it was almost as good as v power for cleaning and gave slightly more power (where an ecu can vary the timing to adjust for octane)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sargan,

Go leave some petrol in a jar slightly open and see, the there will be evaporation obviously of the more volatile liquid. 

Also H2o absorbed.

Maybe put a bit of rubber in the jar.

It is not a 1950.s only issue.  Sealed containers are going to be different.

This week the fuel being distributed in the UK will not be winter grade.

So that will be the different formulation for the Summer from being less hygroscopic during Winter.

That might just be less ethanol used during winter.      

(Ethanol being what was an issue with boats was it not being more corrosive of metal and rubber.)

Years back i would have a good store Winter Super Unleaded for taking to sprints and hillclimbs into the summer.

Now i just buy Hiperflo 250 102 ron.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

I have a mk2 VRS petrol. Ran it on Tesco momentum 99 for a month, was fine. Switched to Shell V-power for 4-6 weeks as I had read about its benefits and apparently being better all round for your car. The car ran worse for all these weeks, a little stutter and accelerating seemed a bit jerky with the DSG.

Switched back to Tesco momentum 99 and the car runs smoothly again. I have also gained a little more on the mpg too, not much but it's still a again. I find it really odd myself but it's true none the less!

On 12/01/2017 at 11:03, AwaoffSki said:

The proven benefits in the vehicles that benefit from higher octane than 95 ron is easily quantified not just in MPG but reduced emissions as VW put in a Website referring to GTI's 

You honestly going to believe anything VW puts on a web site about emissions ... they are proven liars.

They have had to buy back thousands of cars in the US.

VW buy back in US

• Like 1

No because no 98 octane Super Unleaded sold in the UK.  VW Group seem to miss that fact.

Just 97 ron min or 99 ron min.    But i believe the fuels i use when checking on a Dyno, and with switchable maps.

That was Diesel in the USA & world wide defeat devices. 

Maybe if talking Gasoline look at Euro 6 Petrols & Diesels with Implausible / Irregular Co2 g/km from late 2015/16 and those buy backs even in the UK.

As to fuel octane and engines, efficiency and economy and emissions, then no need to believe anything from the VW group, 

just look at others tests, look at what ever you like.  Everything is not internet myths.

6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23 (1).pdf

388380a097b04fe693a8c27db8bb4974 (1).pdf

UK still buying winter gasoline as European refiners switch to summer - Oil _ Platts News Article & Story.mhtml

VW, FCA, others could face big fines for missing EU emissions targets.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

I have a mk2 VRS petrol. Ran it on Tesco momentum 99 for a month, was fine. Switched to Shell V-power for 4-6 weeks as I had read about its benefits and apparently being better all round for your car. The car ran worse for all these weeks, a little stutter and accelerating seemed a bit jerky with the DSG.

Switched back to Tesco momentum 99 and the car runs smoothly again. I have also gained a little more on the mpg too, not much but it's still a again. I find it really odd myself but it's true none the less!

Once had a Toyota Yaris (2011 model) that ran rubbish with v power in it, it seemed to idle quite rough, the only time I stick v power in my cars is just like a splash dash tank to get me home or if I have to use the services on the motorways when on holiday.

Davy

Really don't see the point in running a higher octane fuel unless the car has been mapped for it. Just extra cost for no real benefit. 

I tend to fill up on the monthly costco trip then just nip into morrisons or asda to top up as required.

My impreza hatch required 98+ and this was a bit annoying when there wasn't too many petrol stations near anywhere fun to drive :) Shell was only used as a stop gap. 

Your car has been mapped for it.  & can run quite happily on 95 ron as all EU Type approved petrols must be able to.

If the 5 pence a litre more expensive Sainsbury, Tesco , Costco Super Unleaded only costs under an extra £3,00 a tank over what you buy now 

that would cost you nothing really if you get 1 mpg better economy, or just the car runs a bit more efficiently.

Polo GTI 1.4TSI Twinchsharger just the same as a SEAT / SKODA / AUDI twincharger.

Same with a 1.8TSI GTI, 2.0 TSI GTI / vRS/ Cupra, Software / Mapped to run efficiently on 95 octane and more so on a higher octane.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Set up for EU testing and to run on 95 ron, and maybe no point in running higher as it will tell you in the Owners manual under fuel if a higher octane gives no benefit.

But read the Owners Manual, look at the Fuel Flap of those that do Benefit because it is the Manufacturers recommended Octane.

As in quite a few Euro 4, 5 & 6 Petrol Engines from the VW Group.  

Not only powerful engines either, even 103 or a 110kw 1.4 TSI's could have 98 ron recommended. or a 132 kw minimum one.

TyrePressures_label.jpg.067e33020b08f440c1baaa524180b6fd.jpg

58a462d82668c_Fueldoor.PNG.d60ab82fcefa9b9831455ce42e0a8da9.PNG

220lid.jpg.90e1ddf2f538925a7280eea5593e3136.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

FWIW, the Oct 2l TDI, BKD motor, was remapped from about 140bhp to around 185bhp (possibly slightly more?)  on basic TESCO diesel  in 2014  - been running on that, or Sainsbury's equivalent, ever since and ran/runs fine (OTOH, blew the Turbo  at around 109k miles, and the mpg dropped somewhat after replacement of that!). Can't quote mpg figures because I was doing 20k miles/year until early 2015 but now only 6-7k/years (mostly around town) since retirement.

Edited by jeallen01

Bit late here being a newbie 

my local garage Texaco, is literally two steps away, the shell one is easy to get to

after getting my first Skoda and a diesel I had to learn the ropes here on briskoda 

I have settled down to Texaco or others, but not supermarkets 

Esso give Tesco points, and not Shell as they charge too much even for the non rocket fuel option 

additives are the way I have chosen to go and think a diesel does benefit from them.

It’s Archoil additive for now with a straight diesel from the above....notwithstanding supermarket brands I just tend to look for the price....1.329 around this area

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow