Spaceback 1.2 110, or 1.4 Tdi

Hi,

I drive a 2008 Fabia 1.4 Tdi, 90,000 miles now and thinking of getting 2016 Spaceback. As I now only do about 6000 miles a year, and, without being an eco freak, thinking seriously about NOx etc, am wondering between a 1.2 110bhp petrol, or 1.4 Tdi.

Has anyone experience of comparing the two, or moving from a MK 2 tdi Fabia to a 1.2, 110 Spaceback.

I love the torque of the tdi, particularly long hills, and moving on motorways.Any views on how the 110 Spaceback would compare.

Thanks

Kota

I have to say that I have a Polo 1.4Tdi and like you I enjoy the torque of a diesel. However the 3 pot TDi is a little coarse compared to the 1.6Tdi CR for example. Most will say that the 1.2TSi is the choice for 6k per annum. 

Test drive both and see what you prefer. If you get a TDi just make sure that the DPF gets a good blast out ocassionally! Whatever you buy it should be a bargain! 

Edited by threadbear
  • Like 1

I have a Rapid Hatchback 1.2 TSI 110. So the same drivetrain as the spaceback. I moved from a 2009 BMW 320d into the Skoda, so quite the leap.

What I will say is that the little turbo'd 1.2 petrol is quite a torquey engine, even at the low to middle end, and drives much like a small diesel. I'm a realist and can tell that the 320d was more powerful etc but really I do not notice that much difference in normal driving on the roads. What I do notice is that the 1.2 TSI in a rapid is a perfectly matched engine for the car - the car is quite light so performance is healthy, cruising at 70-80 on a dual carriageway effortless and overtaking on hills (crawler lanes) perfectly feasible. I have also loaded the car to the gunwales for a family holiday in the summer and more recently for spending Christmas at the in-laws; even fully loaded the car never felt sluggish - there was plenty of grunt to spare for real world driving.

In the real world I'm also regularly returning 47-48 mpg or higher. The 320d rarely came close to that.

For low miles the TSI makes more sense and as others have commented the turbo petrol engine pulls well.

Only replaced our TSI Spaceback due to a much longer commute to work, plus the heavier fuel consumption with the amount of up and down dale work it had to do on this journey.

Would also recommend considering the Seat Toledo, albeit only available in notchback, as they tend to be better equipped than the equivalent Skoda and sometimes cheaper to buy used.

TP

With 6,000 miles annually I would avoid diesels: loads of issues with dpf, egr etc.

The 1,2 tsi provides for pretty darn good low end torque and is relatively akin to a diesel to drive (albeit without the diesel noise).

The 1,2 tsi is a well suited package for the rapid with enough grunt to comfortably keep up with traffic!

Happy car hunting!

We have a 1.4tdi 3cylinder MY16 Spaceback SE Sport.

Car is now just reaching 12 months old - 5700 miles from new.

No DPF, EGR problems or in fact any issues to report to date.

The 1.4TDI unit is a not a bad engine, pulls its weight fine, returns good MPG.

I agree for low mileage the TSI maybe the more suited option, but the 1.4TDI in my opinion is not one to be ignored. - would be interested seeing a "low mileage" TSI owners long term MPG figures and how they stack up to the 1.4 TDI.

My long term running report of our car can be found here which includes photos and a video of the engine while driving - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/386039-arrived-my16-skoda-rapid-spaceback-corrida-red-photos-ownership-thread/

Edited by RickTT

A 2015 would be my choice, because in my experience the chain drive 1.2 105 is more refined than the newer belt drive 1.2 110 (and both are light years smoother than the TDi options)

Edited by camelspyyder

Took delivery of a Rapid Spaceback SE Sport 1.2 TSI last week...I will try and post some pictures and info soon when I get a chance.

What a fantastic engine and car, I've gone from an Astra 2.0 SRI and I'm very impressed.

Can't comment on the specific Diesel engines available on the Rapid but I do drive the 2.0 Octavia Scout at work (Paramedic) and that is also a massive thumbs up!!

• Like 1

A 2015 would be my choice, because in my experience the chain drive 1.2 105 is more refined than the newer belt drive 1.2 110 (and both are light years smoother than the TDi options)

Cannot say that I have noticed any difference in refinement having had cars with both engines. Both are smooth,powerful and with plenty of pull.I understand that there have been problems with the timing chain in some of  the 105 PS engines due to inconsistent quality of the chain links.

Both Leon's I've been loaned with the 110 had a low rev drone up to 2.5 to 3k that just isn't there with the 105.  I really wanted a Leon but when I drove the 2 different engines back to back over a 50 mile route, that noise was one of the 3 big reasons I didn't buy one. 

To the OP: another significant upside with the petrol over diesel this time a year is that the petrol warms up significantly faster than a diesel (which means heat in the cabin faster). With such low mileage, there shouldn't be much of a fuel economy benefit from a diesel due to diesels not getting great fuel economy until properly warmed up (and the frequent regens will eat into fuel economy).

However I am surprised to hear the diesel behaves so well with low mileage (as per Rick's post). Perhaps VAG's new line of diesels are more suited for shorter trips.

My recommendation for your mileage would definitely still be the petrol, but perhaps a drive of both back to back could assist you in deciding which is the right engine for you!

Good luck with finding the car!

To the OP: another significant upside with the petrol over diesel this time a year is that the petrol warms up significantly faster than a diesel (which means heat in the cabin faster). With such low mileage, there shouldn't be much of a fuel economy benefit from a diesel due to diesels not getting great fuel economy until properly warmed up (and the frequent regens will eat into fuel economy).

However I am surprised to hear the diesel behaves so well with low mileage (as per Rick's post). Perhaps VAG's new line of diesels are more suited for shorter trips.

My recommendation for your mileage would definitely still be the petrol, but perhaps a drive of both back to back could assist you in deciding which is the right engine for you!

Good luck with finding the car!

Agree Petrol for the mileage... just a side note.. the engine warms up quick as its only a little small 3 cylinder unit..  :)

Best bet is to test drive both and decide from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks all. Have had a long test drive in a 1.2 110 ps. Although not that final torque of the 1.4 tdi up a long hill (or maybe I was not changing gear enough),

a great engine. Few low mileage ones of the colours I prefer, so have ordered a new 1.2 SE Tech. Will report back on it in a while.

May set up another topic re thoughts on "running in".

• 3 months later...

Update on my 1.2 tis SE tech Spaceback. Now done just over 1000 miles. For anyone debating whether to get 1.4Tdi (as I had in my 08 Fabia) or moving to petrol, hope this is off some use. I ran the Spaceback in fairly carefully, so only recently used 3000 to 4000 revs. One of my fears was to loose the great torque pull of the diesel. I have a long, ongoing gradient (on the A55) which is my test for this, and I can say in 5th the tsi is still pulling at the top, with power to spare. Maybe it was just the diesel growl making me think I was going faster. 

Fuel economy. On the last two 350 mile fill ups, probably 60% town and 40% open road (but no long trips), I got 47.8mpg actual (from dividing fill up by miles since previous fill up) AND amazingly  was 48mpg on the car computer. The reality for my tdi on similar driving was not more than 50-52 mpg. 

So, in terms of performance and economy,, I'd recommend it (particularly as I now do only about 5000 miles a year).

And it's a great car to drive, well equipped but not like the flight deck of an A380. The Sat nav behaves. The passenger space in the back is amazing. As with everyone else, that damn armrest........

Edited by Kota
Missed a word
  • Like 1

Yes I often think, why diesel when the1.2 tsi engines can return over 50mpg (keeping it below 70mph) it really is a no brainer to me, especially when your annual mileage is less than 10k.

The armrest, I forgot I had one, it's useless really, only used on long motorway journeys otherwise it's in the way.

Edited by MickA

Way back when the Rapid was new (and in 2012/13 pauper/SE specs especially) the armrest was a coveted add-on that Brisky people wanted to have.

All the Toledo drivers told them it was cr*p but did they listen? ;)

21 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Way back when the Rapid was new (and in 2012/13 pauper/SE specs especially) the armrest was a coveted add-on that Brisky people wanted to have.

All the Toledo drivers told them it was cr*p but did they listen? ;)

Love the armrest in mine, but it's a dsg so doesn't get in the way at all. Takes one second to lift it when putting the handbrake on.