Sasha's Citigo Monte Carlo

SashaGrace

11 hours ago, jerrybean said:

I would like to do this modification, but I don't have front fog lights. Do you think this switch would still work?

Also I don't seem to be able to remove the original light switch. I set it to OFF, pushed the switch into the dash okay, but if try and turn towards the sidelight setting (clockwise) nothing happens except it turns the lights on. The switch doesn't seem to want to rotate or move.

Any ideas?

For first time removal I'd remove the side panel trim (only seen when the door is open, it's where the airbag switch would be) and pop that off and pull and turn the switch, then push it from behind as I found it impossible to remove first time. 

I don't see why the switch wouldn't work if you don't have front fog lights, I imagine it just means when you pull the switch out 1 click it won't do anything

Edited by Hyphons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyphons said:

For first time removal I'd remove the side panel trim (only seen when the door is open, it's where the airbag switch would be) and pop that off and pull and turn the switch, then push it from behind as I found it impossible to remove first time. 

I don't see why the switch wouldn't work if you don't have front fog lights, I imagine it just means when you pull the switch out 1 click it won't do anything

Cheers Hyphons.

I was wondering about opening the side panel, but didn't know if you could access/reach the switch from there - thanks for the tip.

I just didn't know if 2nd click (rear fog) would work if 1st click didn't get any power as no  front fogs.

I suppose its worth a try - could always sell on switch again if it doesn't work in my car !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyphons said:

Cheers Hyphons.

I was wondering about opening the side panel, but didn't know if you could access/reach the switch from there - thanks for the tip.

I just didn't know if 2nd click (rear fog) would work if 1st click didn't get any power as no  front fogs.

I suppose its worth a try - could always sell on switch again if it doesn't work in my car !!!

• Like 1

I don’t know if the switch will work or not, come to think of it, I’ve not paid attention to other retrofits that have been done to notice if they were on cars with or without front fogs. My OEM light switch was a pain to remove, push the light switch knob all the way down and pull it over to the sidelight setting, it should start to resist about half way between off and sidelights on, give it a good yank out and it should exit the dash. That’s all I did on mine and it worked, ditto my old A4 :)

• Like 1

Well, it’s been emotional but due to a new job, big commute and the desire to get a car that is a little more future proof, my other half is inheriting this Citigo so it’ll still be mine kind of but my new daily is seeing me spending more time on this forum but in the Octavia 3 section.

It’s too dark for proper pics but here’s a sale pic to whet the appetite. Will still be enjoying the Citigo wherever possible :)

3765AE8E-8A35-4ABF-A1B1-B090D18716B2.thumb.png.afdbca56d500fb539ec81a235ef74952.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2017 at 23:45, SashaGrace said:

Thanks to Photobucket and it's new terms and conditions all the photos on this thread (and many others I've made over the internet) have no pictures so I'll need to fix that at some point in time! But for now I should go over the dash cam install for those interested. It's very easy to do. This is how the kit that I bought comes IMG_5830.thumb.JPG.b01c69c2efe266a026227cc3a174ed55.JPG

I snipped the original hoop of the positive cable and added a micro fuse end with a dual fuse slot using screw connectors (will solder later).

I prised off the dash end panel (been off so many times now haha) and quickly found a suitable earth on the dash support bracket

IMG_6179.thumb.JPG.c4f7fdfe8c6474baf479af1f83b2bb3f.JPG

Once that was attached I ran the positive down to the fuse box and used this fuse for power

IMG_6180.thumb.JPG.50c920a976f8fab2b1d9eca5e2b44f8b.JPG

Once the cables were all tidied away and the 12v socket firmly held in with black tape it was time to bundle the wires and cable tie them together and shove them behind the dash and pop the end panel back on. I've also stolen a clip for the wire on the screen from my Dad as he had some left over from his Blackvue install but I forgot to take a picture!!

I'll get some footage up soon once it's recorded some as it's been off as I've only just wired it in! Approaching 6000 miles now and still going strong :D

Which fuse number (controls what function) did you piggyback onto, and is it a switched fuse?

Thanks in advance.

J.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 18:34, ronime said:

Lovely looking car but I suspect that it drinks the Devil’s juice! :D

Sadly yes! It’s a 25kpa car so I didn’t really have much choice. Could have saved a few ££ and had a 1.6 TDi but decided not to, life is too short and all that. Still, at least it’s not Euro 6 adBlue infected and in Sport mode it does a decent job of pretending not to sound like a diesel. With auto start/stop installed, the only time I really have to face up to having bought a diesel is when I fill it up, hopefully (if my first 2 tanks at a measured 49 and 50.5 MPG are anything to go by) less often than a petrol vRS.

By all accounts the VAG 180/190 PS 2.0 diesels are pretty good, if not among the best on the market in this class. As much as we love our BMW we wouldn't have one with their 2.0 4-pot diesel, good performance and economy but sounds like a cement mixer full of ball bearings at full chat! :D

• Like 1

Compared to my old 5 cylinder Volvo and my V8 Mercedes the vRS and Citigo both sound like terminally ill dumper trucks ingesting breeze blocks but that’s ok. They are both daily beaters and the Citigo’s characterful little 3 cylinder putter takes some beating for MPG. At 60 mph or so I reckon it’s far better than the vRS, only at 70 mpg or so cruising speeds does the Octy claw it ahead. The 184 Diesel is quick enough for me and all the toys are back which is ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to nip over to my Dad’s today and get proper pics of the pair together for the first time. The little Citigo is still clean after it’s visit to Skoda for the first service (I made sure it went in clean and that they didn’t wash it!) and the big Octy is still filthy :(

808367EC-EEBB-4BBD-B524-4AB528C45CDE.thumb.jpeg.1ca9cacfbee7ff35391c80535f854dc1.jpeg

7B0887D8-E2E7-4D3F-A022-9BFE7AB8D264.thumb.jpeg.229b13af1c3354a84d37b961341598e2.jpeg

Still love the little Citigo but the Octy is so much more grown up.

• Like 2

Thanks. It riles me that Skoda offer so much on the Citigo, the cheapest car in the range, that you either can’t get or have to pay extra for higher up the range. The smoked clusters are a great example. Does the vRS have them? No it doesn’t!! Yet is was well over double the cost new. Heated seats are standard kit on the Citigo SE-L; you need to order a Superb SE-L to get them standard, also at over double the cost. They are an extra on every trim in the cars in between. Sat nav?? Same trick, although the PID isn’t very well done overall it is a decent stand alone nav system and more than my Octy has, as it doesn’t have a sodding sat nav! The Rapid they gave me as a courtesy car did though but they removed the memory card. 

I want smoked clusters and black wheels on the Octy now. And full LED bulbs for the rear as it has LED taillights.

Cheers, I do too, just can’t get on with the colour and diamond finish on a grey car, the shade of grey used on the wheels is not a match for the paint but it’s only slightly out!! Also the diamond finish is letting go already so black it is. My C30 had diamond finished wheels and they went the same way, but that was quite a bit older than the Octy, but similar mileage :)

Citigo is on 11k now!

• 8 months later...

Probably a long-shot, but do you remember where you got your Umbrella Holder from?

Also, don't suppose you have the part number, do you?

• Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 13:36, SashaGrace said:

First order of business is to fit the carpets to the rear 

I don't suppose you remember where you got the Boot Carpet from do you?

• Like 1

The Octy went in for the cambelt and water pump today and I was given a Citigo as a courtesy car today as it was only for a day and not overnight like last time so I didn’t need a big car (was only me travelling around in it today) and it reminded me of just how much fun these little pocket rockets are to drive, I’ll miss ours when it has to go, but we are rapidly outgrowing it and need something bigger so it’ll be going soon. Nice to use the new radio and phone holder combo, much better than the PID but I did sink back into my leather vRS seat and fired up the CarPlay, set the climate control and heated seat just so, put the gearbox in drive and enjoyed Octy life pretty quickly when I got back in it. It’s fair to say I miss the toys when they aren’t there :) I had great fun in the Citigo though and for my needs at the time it was a great buy and I got a cracking deal on it, but life seems to change every year in my house Andre are fast needing something without a mileage limit and a little bigger for my OH who has taken our Citigo to over 20,000 miles now at 22 months old. 

B731FDE5-812F-4E8E-ABCE-708A39C4CD52.thumb.jpeg.d118dfa430d5d6aee77017be9c659e10.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

This topic has been bereft of updates for some time as my OH has been using it every day and nothing has changed but sadly it’s all over now. I rang VWFS to VT the car as we’ve just hit £1.50 over the VT point and the car really isn’t big enough any more. We are down to one car over the summer but another car will be inbound soon I hope. Not new this time but that just means more mods :D So, closing thoughts after 29 months and 24,000 miles; this has been an awesome car to own and drive, could have done with more power, I imagine a turbo one would be great and it’s a great small car for 2 adults but not really ideal for a family of 3 and as we want a dog, we will continue to outgrow the little Citigo so now seemed like the right time to change. I’ll miss it a lot, but someone will have a great car out of it on the used market. Rubber mats and variable floor will be for sale shortly!

• Like 1