KIA Stinger GT

RampantBadger

I think 43k, but i recon after 6 months they will sell them for closed to the price of a golf r and the 280 superb 33k?

Not really the same car as this strikes me as a different type, especially not a hot hatch but if they're 33k new it might well be better value although I I'd worry about the residuals.

I would have thought it's the price point that determines who your competitors are.

Perhaps partially true - but they also have to be the same type of car. Closest car I can think of is the VW bitdi Passat or the Mondao vignale - neither anything like the stinger and definitely can't compare to an Edge or Tiguan etc. Edited by gullyg

Maybe they think they can 'carve out' a new market for this particular vehicle - a cult car ..........Kia coming over all pretentious.

Korea pays lip service to free trade with all sorts of taxes to register a foreign car, so maybe domestic sales will keep their dream alive long enough for it to survive in foreign markets.

Conservative western business types will probably not be interested though and stick to their BMWs and Mercs.

We won't be getting the AWD version, only the LHD markets are. Six cylinders, twin turbo, RWD, mechanical LSD, all the toys (including adaptive dampers and an 8 speed box), coupled with plenty of room inside sounds good to me. I'd definitely look at this when the Superb is due back. Not a bad looking motor imho, and our local Kia dealers are excellent. The AUS$ price works out around £36k which again is top end Superb money (cheaper, actually, with some matching toys thrown in)...

It's not a sports car, but as a family load lugger that can keep dad entertained on the back roads and over the weekend? Seems decent enough for what it is. As for not being as high output as the Golf R et al., it's a GT not a hyper hatch. A relatively unstressed V6 with tons of lazy torque and an LSD for when you want to bounce off the red line sounds like a goer to me. It'd be decent on fuel too.

Kia are already considered a premium brand in the US. They look at you funny when you suggest they're seen as budget in the EU, and the way they're going it'll only be a few years before their perception has changed over here too imho. Look at how far they've come already. With Skoda now asking VW prices for pared down cars, and it being possible to get into a brand new BMW 330i for less than the cost of a Superb, Kia could well squeeze into a decent niche here if they play their cards right. They'd likely want to avoid the £40k VED bracket for the halo model, so prices should be interesting. The 2.0T looks alright on paper, but for a few K more the V6 is definitely the one to have.

d4744a5b07.jpg

Edited by Rainmaker

Maybe its the screen size on my phone, the light bar on the roof doesnt look right

We tend to slavishly follow the yanks and their endless fascination with different flashing lights and 'stuff' including scrunched black leather caps.......it's the macho look they are after it seems

Buy at 4yr old I'd say when most of the depreciation has happened. Crazy to spend BMW money on a Kia.

If thats BMW money then I'd say crazy money to spent that on a BMW too !

You could get a real nice car for that ( Jaguar etc) ! Or a 2nd hand supercar !

But then BMW and Audi do get a lot of volume sales much by association, i.e. from the aspiring classes buying 1.6ds, 2.0's, Not M3's etc.....

I agree though its far too much. 30K ish and I'd be interested. Beyond that and I'm thinking, why am I buying this not a used Jaguar F or XKR ?

Edited by vRSAnt

• 9 months later...

Went and had a brief look at a Stinger last night. 3.3 litre GT-S spec in red. 

Lovely car, definitely a huge step up in quality from even the latest Kia's. Felt very well put together and a real drivers car. Everything directed at the driver and lots of knee room (something I find a challenge in a lot of cars) for the drivers left knee. 

Over 40k though, with no discounts on offer yet and a delivery date of January. 

Going to arrange a test drive in the next few weeks and see if it is actually any good to drive. Looks promising though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

ummm... but

Yellow or grey.

Still at 600+ a month on a simple pcp that's thankfully too much! Dare not look at a fleet price, suspect that will be tempting.

But it's not a camper van, which was set to be my next 'car'. I could put curtains and a sink in it I'm sure.

Build your Kia _ Kia Motors UK.pdf

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColinD said:

ummm... but

Yellow or grey.

Yellow as it appears to be the only "free" colour haha!

I saw the grey outside the dealer actually. It wasn't pleasant in my eyes!

Edited by Chris

If you want one then get it before Brexit as that will add a couple of k to it at least, if Korean made and not made in one of their plants that may not be subject to 10% import duties.

Edited by lol-lol

In my mind these days, a car like that needs a bright colour to set it apart.

Theres a mk3 vrs octy around here the last 12months, in that savage metallic rallye green. It looks brilliant. Theres a dark metallic grey one and it doesnt look half as good.

This stinger will be the same. In a grey/black/white, it will vanish into the crowd of rep mobiles as just another Kia saloon..

8 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

In my mind these days, a car like that needs a bright colour to set it apart.

Theres a mk3 vrs octy around here the last 12months, in that savage metallic rallye green. It looks brilliant. Theres a dark metallic grey one and it doesnt look half as good.

This stinger will be the same. In a grey/black/white, it will vanish into the crowd of rep mobiles as just another Kia saloon..

I always used to agree with that (and aesthetically I still do). However these days I am in the inobtrusive camp. The less my car draws the eye of other motorists (or potential car thieves) the better. 

With all the nosey Norris’s and dashcam warriors these days, when you’re crossing the country on B roads and ‘making good progress’, nobody is going to notice a grey or whatever car driving well and overtaking considerately. You blend in. The exact same car in neon green or whatever, though? Suddenly you’re a hooligan. Such is the mentality. 

My Superb 2.0T is going in a year so I’ve been looking at my next choices. My wife is getting an S-Max for family duties so I’m considering a 5.0 V8 Mustang, Kia Stinger GT V6, Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio V6, or BMW 450i or similar. The Kia is very tempting but the V8 pull of the Stang is strong. 

theres a guy somewhere round near me that has a v8 mustang in red and it sounds and looks glorious...   so if you g for one i'd be dead envious!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nicer than a Mustang IMO.  Lovely interior in Red Leather.

But even Grey does not give it the cloak of invisibility.  

DSCN3573.JPG

DSCN3564.JPG

DSCN3566.JPG

DSCN3568.JPG

DSCN3570.JPG

DSCN3572.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2