To mudflap or not to mudflap, that is the question

spk

Hi all,

So I've got a Superb v6 4x4 estate, currently running 17" winter wheels, fairly sure they're ET38 without going outside to look. I'm getting a lot of muck kicked up as I'm sure everyone is, but particularly bad when driving through the peak district so debating some mud flaps.

Questions are:

1. Is it better or worse with mud flaps - the aim is to protect the bodywork, especially front doors but there seems to be an opinion that the mud flaps can trap dirt and mud, leading to other problems. Any advice?

2. How effective are they anyway? Seems like there's still going to be a fair bit of muck thrown up. Hopefully the rear flaps might make it better for drivers behind though...

Here's an idea of what she looks like now:

post-147852-0-94191400-1484262825_thumb.jpg

:notme:

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

If I lived in a location that required winter tyres I'd definately fit mud flaps (even if it was just for the winter).

I wouldn't buy the OEM ones as they look small and ineffective. Give the DIY approach a go.... it'll be a cool little project.

Make up some cardboard templates in a pleasing shape, then transfer onto some 5mm+ rubber and mount using the existing screws/holes. Start off with the flaps longer than required (steady vicar) and trim to suit after testing.

At worst, they will look stupid and you can throw them away, and tell no-one. At best you'll have a super effective set of flaps and pride in doing it yourself for a few quid.

PS. Love the colour of your car SPK!

Edited by williamshatnerspants

If I lived in a location that required winter tyres I'd definately fit mud flaps (even if it was just for the winter).

I wouldn't buy the OEM ones as they look small and ineffective. Give the DIY approach a go.... it'll be a cool little project.

Make up some cardboard templates in a pleasing shape, then transfer onto some 5mm+ rubber and mount using the existing screws/holes. Start off with the flaps longer than required (steady vicar) and trim to suit after testing.

At worst, they will look stupid and you can throw them away, and tell no-one. At best you'll have a super effective set of flaps and pride in doing it yourself for a few quid.

PS. Love the colour of your car SPK!

That's an interesting idea. And thanks for your comments...might have to start a projects thread or post some pictures soon. Looks dreadful right now but hopefully a little better after Sunday ;-)

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was going to buy. I have been slightly put off by the trapping mud and grit against the bodywork issue mentioned above as there was a small bit of bubbly paint at the base of the front left wheel arch repaired by the dealer before I bought the car. I definitely don't want a repeat of that...

I have got the V6 too...lucky us! I fitted mud flaps from these people, front and rear, and they do a great job and look good. For the cost they are a good investment in my opinion.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-rear-mudflaps-original-Skoda-autoas

• Like 1

Hi for my two penneth, I had mudflaps for 7 years on my octy, there was a lot of debris beneath the  front liner before I fitted the flaps 3yrs old and 99,000 miles, minimal debris after 10 years, 7 years use and 178,000 miles, mudflaps do keep the car a bit cleaner. On the superb they could be longer for my liking but I got mine from superskoda so much cheaper than Flea Bay. have them on the Honda too from new no issues there either. 

do they make holes in the metal work?

No. Two existing torx screws are used which already have holes that go through the liner. A third hole  (only needed on the front IRC) has to be drilled but that is only through the liner as well. A push fit fastener goes into that one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So, I bit the bullet and made some of my own. 3mm rubber sheet and about 30 mins of work. I've left them a little longer than usual as I can trim later if required. I have also set them in a little from the bodywork/tyre edge, but will probably move them out to the edge of the tyre. They work really well!!!

Cost was about 15GBP for enough rubber for about 6 rear flaps!

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

• 4 months later...

I finally gave them a 300 mile test run, including a section of wet gravel road.... and the results are in.....

While they stop the worst of the road spray, and the heavy caked on stuff behind the rear wheels, they don't really work as well as expected!

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

On 9/16/2017 at 20:19, Solarstorm said:

Is it because they're too flexible? (Not being able to tell that from the pictures)

I've got the Skoda ones on mine which as stiff plastic; don't stop muck down the sides and back, but do reduce it enough to make a difference when cleaning :)

You might be right. They are as flexible as the 'firm rubber rally flaps' but I will try and take a look at them in action.... maybe mount my action camera on the side of the car!