Locked keys in boot :(

I always thought I would, and today I did it. Somehow after loading up the boot I could not find my keys, they have to be in there.

No, I don't have a spare, yes the car is locked, no the doors and windows and sunroof are shut.

I called out a local recovery garage. He tried to open a door by prising open the top corner and lassoing the handle but the Superb's security is better than that.

I called the Skoda main dealer for a price for a key but it's Saturday afternoon and their parts department is closed till Monday.

I rang an auto locksmith, they quoted £160. I can't afford that.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Ideally I want to get into the boot as my back seats don't fold down and the boot release switch on the driver's arm rest doesn't work.

I need the car for work on Monday, may be able to borrow my wife's.

:sweat:

Hi, bit of a bummer

looking at this from a non involved view, I can't see you have any option other than purchase a replacement key ( how much that will cos ? but this will be offset by the fact you will now have a spare key !! ) if you pay for an auto locksmith you may have access and get your key back but after that the cost to you and the the money you pay will be dead money

• Like 1

You could end up damaging the wiring etc, but a hole saw etc through the light would allow you to get something into the boot without damaging any metal work.

You can see from this video there is nothing really in the way if you made a hole in the light cluster.

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 1

I am not familiar with the Mk1 Superb but i would be looking to find the bolts that secure the back seat base to the car and then remove that which might reveal the bolts for the seat back.

However if the rear doors are still deadloccked then there may not be enough space to remove the seat without fouling the armrets or door cards.

All sorted. I managed to haggle the locksmith down to £60 for doing the driver's door (rather than the boot). Then I somehow disabled the alarm by disconnecting it and reconnecting it when the siren sounded with the battery disconnected :nerd: . Then I hopped into the back, opened the arm rest and found to my slight horror that they was a panel on the back of the ski sack. However, I dismantled the frame around the sack to expose a spring and latch mechanism at the top of the aperture. I jiggled that around and the back flopped down. Cut a slit in the sack to get my arm in and eventually found the key, thank God.

All in all could have been much worse.

Morals of this story: 

- always put your keys in your back pocket when loading the boot,

- get a spare cut (the locksmith said he could do this)

- don't rush into the first expensive option

Thanks all for your input. :clap:

• Like 2

All sorted. I managed to haggle the locksmith down to £60 for doing the driver's door (rather than the boot). Then I somehow disabled the alarm by disconnecting it and reconnecting it when the siren sounded with the battery disconnected :nerd: . Then I hopped into the back, opened the arm rest and found to my slight horror that they was a panel on the back of the ski sack. However, I dismantled the frame around the sack to expose a spring and latch mechanism at the top of the aperture. I jiggled that around and the back flopped down. Cut a slit in the sack to get my arm in and eventually found the key, thank God.

All in all could have been much worse.

Morals of this story: 

- always put your keys in your back pocket when loading the boot,

- get a spare cut (the locksmith said he could do this)

- don't rush into the first expensive option

Thanks all for your input. :clap:

The only one you really needed should have had as you know is a spare key. :D

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbup:

Edited by Danny 57

There are places that can cut you a mechanical only key just from a photo of your own key, so not much excuse for not having one stashed somewhere! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

AA guy was sent by Skoda Roadside Assistance after my 2 yr old Yeti locked the boot with my keys inside. Big drama as I was visiting family in North Devon, 150 miles away from home and the spare keys! Arriving in 50 minutes after phone call the young man set about trying to pick the lock with special tools. I did not hold out much hope but after an hour of effort he called a colleague to help as he did not have the lubricant he needed on his van. The colleague arrived in 15 minutes and after another 15 they had the door open so I could climb into the boot, retrieve the keys and stop the vehicle alarm. Great result! Skoda owners beware. I had no idea that after opening the tailgate only with the middle button of the key fob it will lock as soon as the tailgate is closed. My advice - never use that middle button. Just unlock as normal and save yourself a major panic!