Drop in MPG!

Over the past couple of months I have noticed a drop in MPG on my 16 plate sel-ex 2.0 litre 150bhp estate.

I was previously averaging 50-52mpg and this is now down to 41mpg!!

Nothing has changed in the type or style of driving I do, I have had a couple of error messages come up regarding the stop start system but a simple turn off and back on of the ignition rectified this.

I decided yesterday to book it in at the dealership but was told this was normal this time of year with the temperature dropping, to see a drop in mpg. Not been exactly arctic conditions here in the U.K.

So was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and what kind mpg figures you are returning and if people in colder climates suffer this

Thanks

Not exactly arctic, but how long is your trip from a cold start and since November or so how many miles do you cover before the Oil temp gets to an indicated 90*oC 

or so compared to say in August?

(Winter grade diesel was in Filling stations from around October in Scotland & North England and maybe November further south and some will say this gives worse economy, 

but only those that use Fuelly or the likes can check that out, i find that Winter Fuel, Cooler Air helps Petrols perform better and Diesels worse as in time to get engine hot enough to run efficiently.)

• Like 1

Interesting reading this - I'd noticed from my last couple of Fuelly logs that my MPG had dropped a little.  Not quite as much as the OP (from around 59mpg to 54mpg) but had put it down to having the heater on more in the car etc.  Wasn't even aware there were different fuels depending on the seasons!

Mines gone up but I put that down to my wife driving it more over the last two months. She seems to have a much lighter right foot than me!

Normally see a 4-5mpg drop over winter months though. Always assumed down to winter fuel, heating and lights being on more.

Mines gone up but I put that down to my wife driving it more over the last two months. She seems to have a much lighter right foot than me!

Normally see a 4-5mpg drop over winter months though. Always assumed down to winter fuel, heating and lights being on more.

Don't forget that the engine will also be colder when you start it and will take longer to get up to its most efficient operating temperature. Diesels are much more thermally efficient than petrols and take longer to heat up which if your runs are below 10 or even 15 miles your mpg will really suffer in the colder months.

All our diesels have done it in the past but never more than the above quoted 4 or 5 mpg. Come March/April it would start to climb again.

• 1 month later...

Having exactly the same problem, been getting 58-62 mpg on the 30 mile journey to/from work since early January but the last few days this has dropped to 48-52 mpg. No considerable change in temperature and unsure what is the cause. I have a 66 plate superb se tech 2.0tdi hatchback. Have you spoken to the dealer yet? I am going to give them a call tomorrow espaecially as I'm not the only one experiencing a 10mpg drop for no apparent reason. Same load being carried, same garage for fuel, same amount of fuel in the car. Only had the car since early January so would have expected the mpg to increase after the first 1000 miles or so.

Always drive in eco mode and not using aircon or heating at the moment either. Yes using the since start mpg. Long term is registering 52mpg but that's because my local short trips bring it down. My journey to work is always around 58-62mpg

Don't take your car to the dealer because the MPG drops in winter. As has been said above, different fuel, more use of heaters, lights, heated seats etc put a bigger strain on the car & subsequent fuel economy.

Hi teebs, cheers for the message but I have only owned the car since January and this week the mpg has dropped by 10mpg so no obvious reason why this has happened this week as it has been much colder over the last 2 month and I was still getting much better performance during that time too

Edited by Milesbont

Maybe doing (partial) regens? The EA288 heats up much more quickly than older diesel engines so that is unlikely to be too much of an issue. If as you say everything else is as per then that is the only obvious thing I can think of.

However, as a comparison, my last 5000 miles long term average is only 50.1 so your current figures are not unusual I would suggest. If you do got to the dealer please let us know what happens.