KESSY Ignition Button Breaking up

This looks like a first ... can't find another reference to similar on the forums ...

just noticed this evening, that the KESSY Start button is beginning to self-destruct. (Pics below)

It looks like the button centre is breaking away around the edge/rim.

Still working OK - but I'm being very gentle with it !

Didn't think that I was being too rough on it - but I do recognise that that little delay that happens sometimes, frequently,  while the computer checks all its gubbins - sometimes "encourages" me to press maybe a tad too hard !

Anyway -  I'll let dealer have a look next week.

Crumbs.

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

Edited by Dithane

• 9 months later...

Very delayed update.

Car was in for its 3rd Service today.

Repaired the Kessy Ignition Switch - under Guarantee.

Also repaired the heater fan switch - which, about 3 weeks ago, had stopped working on positions 1, 2, and 3. It still worked though on position 4. ( Yes, and on position 0 )

Seeing as the Photobucket pics of the Ignition Switch above disappeared - here's new uploads. .... of the cracked switch, and todays replacement.

Ignition Switch Cracks June 2017.jpg

New Replaced Ign Switch Nov2017.jpg

On 17/01/2017 at 22:59, Dithane said:

Not usually - though there have been a couple other drivers !   Still point the finger at myself ... and an under-engineered button! !

Hi Dithane. I have been tempted/given the start button a hearty push on occasion though the surface feels ok to the touch I will have a proper look next time I get in the car Joe  

1 minute ago, JoePeddos said:

Hi Dithane. I have been tempted/given the start button a hearty push on occasion though the surface feels ok to the touch I will have a proper look next time I get in the car Joe  

Yep - it's strange, Joe - I don't know if I'm imagining it - but I notice that I'm using less pressure on the new one -- I can't be sure - but I think that the car frequently had a delay, between pushing the button and anything happening .. prompting me to impulsively press the button harder!  Particularly in the early days, when car was new. There seems to be a quicker response from the car now. Again - I could very well be imagining that. It hadn't occured to me to measure the delay.

I think the button had started to fail a good while before I noticed the cracks in it - not something I'd be inclined to look at closely every time I'd sit in, in fairness. The first photo above was when I noticed it in January. Those cracks didn't just appear over-night.

I was expecting a little bit of "push-back" from the dealer - but there was no question. Even though they said they'd never come across one fail before.

Certainly, none appear on Briskoda - I've done a few trawls of the full site here. And VWVortex and UKPassats as well. Nothing.

Mebbe, jus' one of those thangs!