1.8t aux belt noise, change the belt or is there a common pulley that needs changing?

Dont know if your vRS is the same as my TDI (some say they are, others dont) mine had a squeeking belt noise and a few weeks later found out the freewheel pully on the alternator was giving up, and one day snapped off. I ended up with  a new alternator, pully, belt and plastic splash guard by crank pulley. You can check at the parts department of your local TPS or Maindealer, if yours has a freewheel pulley.

Il get it on the ramp this week and have a look and spray some wd40 around the pulleys. Might be time for me to fit the lightweight set I bought a while ago.

Just annoys me as I wanna fit my tt hubs next!

15 minutes ago, Liverpool-Lad said:

What sort of noise?  Does it happen at idle?

Soon as I fire it up, if I put pressure on  the top of the cam cover I can change the noise, either the belts rubbing or the pump bearings are shot which im going with due to the water light coming on recently. I can play a tune if I rev it! Think il have to do the job tomo or borrow a car from work cos its a ticking time bomb

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2017 at 14:08, munster said:

What was the final outcome Ken?

I lost 11 hours of my life changing the water pump and timing belt! What a crappy job that is! Reckon I could do it in 6-8 now tho. Aux belts fine, no signs of wear at all. Will be taking the air con off the car soon as its busted and I wanna shed some weight so will change it to the shorter belt eventually.

Water pump was hanging, should have checked it way sooner than I did, lucky me

Did my cam belt and water pump today, took 6 hours which I thought was ok. Engine mount truely is a wa*k job! Engine up, engine down, engine up a bit, engine down a bit!!!!

To be fair the cam belt I took off seemed to be in good condition, as did the water pump, albeit had a plastic impeller!

I changed the tensioners and the aux one too! 

The 1st 5 hrs 45 minutes was ok weather wise, the last 15 absolutely chucked it down, so I got soaked!

Have to admit, even knowing the timing marks were good, I was apprehensive when I started her!