Osram Xenon CBI or Nightbreakers? Also 20% off at Powerbulbs!

Good evening, Powerbulbs currently have 20% off and I am hoping to upgrade from the standard Philips xenons. Has anyone any experience of both the Osram CBI and Nightbreaker D3S bulbs, who might be able to offer a comparison? Really torn between the two. At the minute I'm heading closer towards the Nightbreaker as they're supposed to offer a much longer beam, and even though they're only 4300K, the standard bulbs are 4100K but still look quite white in colour I think. However if the beam length and intensity isn't as advertised in the NB's then they might not be much point over the CBI's.

The Powerbulbs discount ends on 30th January at midnight too :)

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385060-bi-xenon-upgrade-options-found-vrs-afsii/?page=1

xpower, aki78 & manbz have actually done quite a lot of testing when it comes to changing lights/bulbs.

There is also another link within that thread on page 2 that shows xpower's CBI bulbs, if your looking just to change the bulbs for colour output temperature then you'll be ok but if your looking for more power to the beam to project more light (light up more of the road etc) then unfortunately it's change the ballasts over. But do have a look at that thread, you'll find some useful information :thumbup:

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 2

Saw the email this morning and been debating the same thing all day. Firstly do I upgrade the stock bulbs, and if so, do I go for more light, or a whiter light?

I'd be annoyed if I went for the Nightbreakers and didn't notice any more light, and I'd be annoyed if I got the CBIs and didn't really notice a difference in colour. Decisions decisions... 

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

There are cheaper places to buy the xenons from (and I don't mean flea-bay). One place also sells the 2nd generation Philips Xtreme vision and White vision. Not sure if site rules allow me to mention the place I'm thinking of. 

I recently upgraded the original xenons on my Saab. They were standard Philips Xenarc.

I have put the Osram CBI bulbs in and very pleased with the difference.

They are much brighter and a bit whiter. The beam on the road doesn't look that white but they look much whiter when you look at the lights themselves.

I did take a picture for comparison but cameras never quite capture it right. But you can see the difference:

pixlr_zpsfs4bsdcc.jpg

I too was torn between these and the Nightbreakers but decided anything was going to be an improvement (mine were very dim and the bulbs were very cloudy and dark inside) and wanted a whiter more obviously xenon look and wanted to match the white LED "eyebrows" as closely as possible.

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

I have Osram Xenarc Unlimited fitted in my Superb2. Much better than the stock Philips I had fitted. 

Much better spread of light and further up the road. 

They've also lasted 2yrs and been moved through 3 cars. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Nathanio said:

I have Osram Xenarc Unlimited fitted in my Superb2. Much better than the stock Philips I had fitted. 

Much better spread of light and further up the road. 

They've also lasted 2yrs and been moved through 3 cars. 

Were your Philips the XenStart model? Think this is what is fitted to mine at the minute. Was the colour of the light much different on the Xenarc NBU?

Well, against my banks better judgement I have decided and ordered a pair of NBU's. I just hope they light up the road as much as advertised! 

Thanks muchly for all your opinions! I'll try and take some comparison pictures between them and the original Philips ones if I can set the setting on my camera properly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FluffyEyeball said:

Well, against my banks better judgement I have decided and ordered a pair of NBU's. I just hope they light up the road as much as advertised! 

Thanks muchly for all your opinions! I'll try and take some comparison pictures between them and the original Philips ones if I can set the setting on my camera properly.

Let the new bulbs burn in (10-20 hours) before taking those photos please. :)

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 08:10, HeBeGeeBee said:

There are cheaper places to buy the xenons from (and I don't mean flea-bay). One place also sells the 2nd generation Philips Xtreme vision and White vision. Not sure if site rules allow me to mention the place I'm thinking of. 

Providing you are not advertising them yourself, just recommending a someone is OK

2 hours ago, aki78 said:

Let the new bulbs burn in (10-20 hours) before taking those photos please. :)

Thanks. :)

Will do :)

Unless you would like pictures both when they're brand new and again after 10-20 hours or so, so you can see how much the colour change is? 

2 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Providing you are not advertising them yourself, just recommending a someone is OK

No affiliation with the website at all. I'd seen it recommended somewhere before, can't remember where though: Lichtex.de

I have tried many in the past to rectify the terrible lights on my previous Vectra, phillips vision plus, Phillips Xtreme vision, Osram nightbreakers and a few more, I stopped when I got to Ring Xenon Ultima as was then +120% brighter, Ring now do the Xenon 130, so I would imagine these would be worth a try, for the dipped at least. Got the Hids now on the vRS but I

wouldnt have hesitated to buy these.They have them here http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Ring-Xenon-130-12V-55W-477-Halogen-Bulbs-Pair.html but you might find them elsewhere too.