Who or what is the biggest threat to SKODA?

ColinD

• Administrators

Imagine if you just wrote your car off, or your lease is coming to an end. You've been a happy; or not, Skoda owner for months or years, maybe even a decade or more.

Which marque/model brochure are you reaching for? 

I'm interested to see what peoples instinct is or what they see as a option to SKODA. 

So what do you see as the biggest threat, or the most likely to get you behind the wheel of a different marque?

• Like 1

After numerous issues with Skoda UK (dealer was fantastic) we traded our 2013 vRS Octavia in against a BMW X3. 

Whilst I knew they were going to bring a SUV out I wasn't buying another Skoda new (may buy an older one out of warranty) there was no way I was buying another VAG car let alone Skoda. 

I wasnt particularly bother by SUV but Swimbo wanted either Volvo XC60 or BMW X3. 

For myself I'd go for a BMW, jag or Merc, they can be had for about the same as a Skoda in some circumstances now. 

For swmbos runabout. Dacia, Skoda are pricing themselves out of the cheap car market and into an area they are totally unequiped and unable to compete in. 

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 3

I think VW are the biggest threat to Skoda. When you compare like for like models you see the cost cutting measures to get the Skoda within budget from anything from poor seals to heaters that you don't suffer with the equivalent VW. Whilst you maybe happy with the engine performance and platform the VW provides delivers in the areas the Skoda lacks, the same can be said for the dealers too with Skoda having the worst I've encountered by a long margin. I would think most Skoda owners would look at VW as a step up in quality, others like me would be put of VAG cars altogether and just about look at any other manufacture but French cars have come a long way in quality in resent years whilst offering more technology and something more interesting than the dull VAG interiors at very temping prices.

With PCP and leases becoming more popular the residuals of BMW's are making them very affortable and quality most wouldn't be able to afford through outright purchase or HP.

• Like 4

I would say Dacia is the closest to Skoda's traditional ground of Good Value For Money Cars For Sensible People™.

As to where they have put themselves now, well, there's very little to differentiate them from other non-premium brands (Ford/VX/Kia/Renault etc).

Edited by Huskoda
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Not sure but when I was looking at cars with my mum recently the ones that impressed me most were the Kia's, Hyundai's and Suzuki's.  Good design, quality interiors and decent pricing given the specs...

I'd say the same, Skoda haven't neccessarily been about "cheap" for quite a lot of years. 

• Like 1

I have very specific needs as I am disabled, but if I wasn't purchasing the Superb Estate I would have purchased a BMW 5 series Estate. Looked at Mondeo, Passat & Insignia. Skoda had the right Spec level at the right price, with everything in the right place or adjustable for me.

• Like 1

I'm looking to replace my Yeti in May, which replaced my Roomster due to being taller. I am 6'5" and a bit, I need an auto and a high seat entry due to a knackered left side. I have sat in the new Peugeot 3008, very nice but it has a short seat squab (for my 37" inside leg), I tried the Renault Kadjar, no room due to it's awkward interior styling, the Captur was more comfortable in the drivers seat but left no other cabin space for anyone else due to my shoulder width. The Hyundai Tucson was way too short in leg space, the Santa Fe was great but too big. I banged my head in the all Citroen range except the Berlingo. The Nissan Qashqai is the car my wife likes, I find it a bit fugly, but I do fit inside it and it is quite comfortable. The X-Trail seemed to have no more cab space than the Qashqai but huge passenger space, Swmbo declared it too big. Soooo the Yeti has its faults, but at the moment it is equal to the Quashqai.

• Like 2

I chose a Superb 2 to replace my 17 year old Passat last year. I was originally targeting an Audi A6 but when my budget didn't extend to a V6 TDI within my 5 year old age limit I plumped for the Skoda. I have a toddler, so full leather was a must (easy to wipe clean if something is spilled on it) and it was hard to find a Passat for sensible money with full leather. The Audi was off the list once I couldn't get a V6 - there's no point buying a 4 cylinder Audi unless you're a real badge snob IMO. A friend already had a Superb and was impressed with it and it ticked all the boxes for me.

I've little interest in going outside VAG any more. One reason being that I've built up a bunch of knowledge on VAG brands and technology over the years, and I've invested in VCDS. I'd lose that investment in time and money if I changed brands, plus I'm not aware of any tool comparable to VCDS at its pricepoint for other brands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being part of the VW-Audi Group which is facing losses of a magnitude ever closer to the VAG market capitalisation and BREXIT making its goods in to the UK market even less attractive as well as losing its market status as the value brand to Dacia.

• Like 1

I'm in that position, my PCP ends shortly.  The question I keep asking myself is do I spend £9k on the vRS or do I spend £9k on something else.  Been looking at BMWs and Audi S4 but there is nothing wrong with the vRS which I got to choose options on.  I know I won't be able to get some of the nice bits if I change.

• Like 1

When the time comes to replace my Yeti, the main alternative that springs to mind is Suzuki. If my fiscal situation improves, I'd like to try another Mazda. I hate the idea of driving a 'popular' car, so will probably stay away from Ford, Vauxhall, Renault etc., although I had an Astra in the past. I also feel strangely draw to Citroen, even though I know the ownership experience may be painful. I'll probably end up with another Skoda, but I don't want my Skoda dealer to know that!

Edited by RapidPaul
  • Like 1

Paul, I wouldn't write off Citroen as a bad choice. One of my clients is on their second fleet of Citroens after the previous Mazda's then Skoda's. The staff were more than reluctant to have them as replacements but all were positive when it was proposed to getting Citreons again. The motor expenses for the last four years have also been consistently lower than the previous decade and that is with an three cars now on the fleet. 

• Like 2

When I last changed car (was shopping pretty much exactly 3 years ago), the choice was down to one of the following:

1. Skoda Octavia vRS Estate

2. Mazda 6 Tourer

The Skoda was nicer to drive and (slightly) cheaper than the Mazda, but I went with the Mazda.  Why? Aside from the whopping price rise that month on the Skoda, I was quoted around 6 months for delivery. I was able to get the Mazda on the date I wanted.

This has been a common theme any time I've visited a Skoda showroom over the past few years - if you want a factory order (and the dealers never seem to have any group stock for anything I've enquired about) then the lead times are very long.

I owned Skodas for 12 years prior to my last 2 cars, but my next car will probably be a VW Touran as Skoda don't have a mid-size MPV.

• Administrators

Some great views presented, thanks. The reason I threw this out, was my wifes lease list has a few skoda's on it... after going through it I found myself not picking the superbs; mind you 1.6 greenlines. What I did notice was, alot of other marques in good specs. None of them jumped out, so much chin scratching to be done. Although it might be academic.. we don't know if it's a renewal or not :(

I grew up with Citroens; family car since the 50's, sure there was a wobble, but I got in my mums C4 a few weeks back and it was actually a really nice place. Owning it might be different ;)

My last car was a Grand C4 Picasso. I had a lot of electrical issues with it, and a major problem with the tailgate not closing properly. The garage (a Citroen main dealer) were so awful that I will never buy another Citroen again.

Skoda are their own biggest threat.

They bent over backwards to drive volume and loyalty via keen pricing, a good product and unrivaled customer service and generous goodwill when things turned sour.

The only thing that remains is the good product.

The problem is this isn't enough by itself. There isn't such a thing as a bad modern car these days so there is nothing tying me to Skoda.

Chances are after 4 consecutive Skoda's over the years this one will be our last.

• Like 2

The whole business setup is flawed now.  A succession of VAG Directors who seeing Skoda as a stepping stone to a bigger job with VW or Audi and hence squeeze the brand to make themselves good within that period rather than look to the long term development of the brand.

Whilst the Czech Republic is an absolutely wonderful place, and it is good they never adopted the Euro, car production is heading for other places which are even more profitable.

Add to this the move to the soulless multi-outlet dealer chains rather then fine individual dealerships that were doing a great job and add to that the diesel-gate fiasco and Skoda has too many headwinds to even hold it market share never mind enlarge it.   

(And they stopped doing hot hatches).  For that reason, and after a dozen Skodas, I am out of the brand and over to Renault and Dacia.

• Like 2

I grew up in an area of Melbourne which was lucky enough to have a Peugeot dealership.  It was a family run business and many decades later it still is a Peugeot family selling Peugeots and knowing and valuing all its customers ........not the white goods transient salesmen of so many dealerships gladhanding 'til they've got your money and then can't remember your name.........if they're still there.

• Like 2

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423231-12-tsi-total-engine-failure

This is the kind of case that makes SKODA their own worst enemy.

9 month old All New 3rd generation Fabia engine failure and an owner has to come to a forum for advice.

Where is SKODA After Sales & Warranty Care?

SKODA are as bad now as the parent company VW for 'admit nothing', spin them along as long as you can.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423231-12-tsi-total-engine-failure

This is the kind of case that makes SKODA their own worst enemy.

9 month old All New 3rd generation Fabia engine failure and an owner has to come to a forum for advice.

Where is SKODA After Sales & Warranty Care?

SKODA are as bad now as the parent company VW for 'admit nothing', spin them along as long as you can.

It's a VW component failure I take it.

VW are under financial distress as they admitted when they explained the extension of platform sharing and we don't know how cooperative they are when it comes to components they produced and supplied Skoda with but which subsequently fail.

Claiming compensation from your parent must be a challenge.