Invited to Kodiaq evening.

Danny 57

The road show continues. I just enjoyed an unveiling at Stirling.

The white demo car had started the week in Inverness and progressed through Perth yesterday. Will be heading to Ireland soon.

My first impression before the cover was removed was - "It's A Big Boy". Although shorter than a Superb, I reckon the extra height makes it look very Q7-ish. Probably not by accident.

After a few words from Mr Skoda and a few video clips, we got to see the real thing. I like it.

Which is a good thing seeing as I've already ordered one.

Was good to play with all the seats and check out the detail in the boot floor area. The boot floor is very high. Good or bad depending on your needs. Nice that you can hide the roller blind under the floor instead of taking it in the house when not in use. The grey plastic sills look sensible and will be less obvious on darker colours.

The demo car was loaded with most of the listed extras and although we were told it was sort of SEL spec, it was obvious that it carried a lot of extras. Some in the audience may have been led to believe that certain items are standard when they are not, e.g. foot waving tailgate opening. Order now and have a Canton sound system thrown in.

Must check with My Man.

Seems RHD models will not be seen on the ground till April after the factory rejigs to build a few.

I have no regrets and no concerns about ordering blind.

It's just a pumped up, jazzed up Superb. Exactly what I expected.

Can't wait to take delivery. Just waiting for a firm build date now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1

Event in Perth also went well.  Kodiaq a cracking car! Boot huge and still decent even with 3rd row of seats up. You'd still fit a couple large holdalls or maybe carry on luggage cases (maybe).

I'd need a boot tray though as 3rd of seats folded down creates too many cracks in the floor for dog hair and other rubbish to fall into.

They also had a superb sport line in the showroom and that also seriously caught my eye. Stunning.

Thomson &Potter in Perth tell me they only getting 27 kodiaqs to sell for 2017. I asked specifically (cos I won't be ordering until mid end March) what will happen if I come to order one in the middle of march and youve sold all 27. He said as far as he knows that'll be it!......if so decision made it'll be the superb instead

• Like 1

Just come back from an event, and it was just like the photos from elsewhere, white car on circle of grass mat.  Interior reminded me of an Audi Q5 up front, but middle seats seemed cramped when they were forward to accommodate rear seats in use.

The driver said it is lovely as it has the cabin preheater (Finland spec) so can get in a nice warm car.   Apparently there are 9 of them doing the rounds.

For me was too big, I will wait a year for its smaller sibling

I have now attended two launch events, being invited by two equidistant dealers vying(?) for my business.
I have to say that one certainly put on a better event than the other, perhaps indicated by the number of folk sitting down with salespersons and discussing models and options before the end. As interesting, or not as that might be, the two "Reveals" were almost identical, perhaps not surprising as the presentations were by the same Skoda Events rep. Well done Wesley (even though you didn't take up my suggestion for a more dramatic Reveal at the second Venue! Health and Safety apparently snookered that.
To the car. I think we have all seen loads of YouTube and other stuff with shots of the outside and inside, but when you can get up close you realise that despite the width (especially across wheel arches) available shoulder width in the second row is somehow disappointing and so Passenger 5 needs to be small framed.
As for the third row I was pleasantly surprised (as were perhaps the onlookers as I made my entry into that part of the car in a short skirt and heels). It is certainly not designed for that, but for a short journey I believe that with appropriate adjustment of 1st and 2nd row seats, is certainly possible to have 7 average adults in the car (Average, not Rugby Players - well done England, by the skin of your teeth!). And for a couple of youngsters it should be fine, but the model on display had no USB sockets for the required tablets kids of that age would need for a more lengthy journey.
The model on display (apparently SE L equivalent and destined for Finland) also had a continental 230v low ampere socket in the second row and nobody could tell me what would be in the UK version. It also was equipped with auxiliary Heating which I really liked but is not going to be available in the UK (so I was told). OK, we probably don't get temperatures in rural Kent that can compare with northern Finland, but the idea of being able to instruct the car to warm itself up whilst having your breakfast and then being all toasty :lol: when you get into it rather appeals.
And what else? The demo's wheels were Triglav, all shiny alloy. That might look good with a grey or white car but with the Quartz Grey displayed it seemed to be out of place and too much of a contrast. The brochure seems to show Anthracite Triglav, which look great with Quartz Grey but nobody could confirm whether those are available, and if so how to order them!!

kodiaq event.jpg

kodiaq anthracite.jpg
At the first venue the battery charger had failed so it was not possible to do a proper evaluation of all the electronic gizmos and although at the second, the battery had some juice, they (whoever "they" are) would not allow the ignition to be switched on, resulting in no opportunity to investigate the Connectivity in any depth. Were they worried we would start the car and race off into the night? Or is it that some of what is on offer might not quite live up to the hype? They couldn't tell me whether the infotainment system model was Amundsen or Columbus, so again disappointing from an investigative point of view. Since come to understand it was most likely Amundsen (no DVD slot)
I understand that the Sales Manager of the local Audi dealer had come to the event and expressed a concern that the Kodiaq is serious competition to the Q7. That has to be good, doesn't it? 
So do I like it? Well certainly yes. It would be really good if Skoda UK equipped itself with the knowledge to answer all our questions and then to ensure some of these continental Extras / Options be made available here.

So come on April.
Patient, ........ Very, ...... Very, ...... Very Patient. ...... That's what I will need to be :!:
To

If I check Slovenian configurator I can see:

a. 215/65R17 as full size spare wheel for 5-seater (Canton is not possible in that case)

b. unknown sized ALU spare wheel (Canton is not possible in that case, too)

c. 145/85R18 as space saver for 5-seater (needed for Canton)

d. unknown sized full size spare wheel or space saver for 7-seater (needed for Canton - so I would gamble on space saver)

Zajeta slika.JPG

I went along last night to my local dealer to see it. The car was everything and more I expected, fabulous... but, it's no good for us.

The middle row of seats is very much a 2 + 1 (2 full seats and 1 hump). Sadly with 3 kids there isn't room to ISOFIX 3 seats in place side by side. No problem, you think, there's seats 6 and 7 out back. You'd be right, but with a seat isofixed in place, you could actually access the back row. I'd send son number 1 in through the boot, but I don't want to have to unpack the boot everytime he gets in. 

Sadly this rendered it as practical as my current Octavia. I left slightly deflated.

If they'd have made it a dedicated 7 seater (like a Discovery or even an S-Max) i'd have been on the phone this morning confirming my order.

I appreciate my family is a fringe scenario, for 95% of people it'll be great and I'll be very jealous seeing them all appear on the roads in 4/6 months time.

Edited by jon_r
  • Like 1

At the Mitchell event last Wednesday one guy got his 3 high seat booster seats out of his car and they fitted perfectly across the middle row without any issues. Seemingly that was an issue with most cars he was looking at and was so impressed he subsequently purchased one the following day. Luckily I only have one in a booster seat. 

1 hour ago, jon_r said:

I went along last night to my local dealer to see it. The car was everything and more I expected, fabulous... but, it's no good for us.

The middle row of seats is very much a 2 + 1 (2 full seats and 1 hump). Sadly with 3 kids there isn't room to ISOFIX 3 seats in place side by side. No problem, you think, there's seats 6 and 7 out back. You'd be right, but with a seat isofixed in place, you could actually access the back row. I'd send son number 1 in through the boot, but I don't want to have to unpack the boot everytime he gets in. 

Sadly this rendered it as practical as my current Octavia. I left slightly deflated.

If they'd have made it a dedicated 7 seater (like a Discovery or even an S-Max) i'd have been on the phone this morning confirming my order.

I appreciate my family is a fringe scenario, for 95% of people it'll be great and I'll be very jealous seeing them all appear on the roads in 4/6 months time.

Thanks for confirming this Jon - I'm in the same boat as you. Dunno if you're aware of this thread - 

but it may be of interest!

16 minutes ago, CainDingle said:

Thanks for confirming this Jon - I'm in the same boat as you. Dunno if you're aware of this thread - 

but it may be of interest!

Thank you, I'll have a read!

Yep, I suspect 3 booster seats would be more than fine. Sadly mine (newborn, 2 and 6) have massive seats! 

If if you're just after a 4x4 for 4 people then at the price point it's at it's brilliant. 

19 hours ago, jon_r said:

Thank you, I'll have a read!

Yep, I suspect 3 booster seats would be more than fine. Sadly mine (newborn, 2 and 6) have massive seats! 

If if you're just after a 4x4 for 4 people then at the price point it's at it's brilliant. 

I also have the three booster seat issue to consider and my current Superb II is not wide enough in the back and as the wife has a Grand Scenic which takes 3 with isofix across the back we typically use that when we need the space.  I am guessing that as my get older we could go one in the boot with an isofix in front and a seatbelt mount on the centre seat leaving a spare rear seat to fold to get access into the 3rd row.  The alternative for my has to be isofix on the front passenger seat - this might be the best solution on a Superb 3..... 

On 13 February 2017 at 03:52, ZacDaMan72 said:

Since my Kodiaq has the 19" Sirius wheels do I get a 235/50/R19 spare?

The 7 seater I saw had a high boot floor and what looked like a space saver spare. But I think it had speaker wiring as shown above.

Maybe there's a slim chance of a real tyre without a boom box.

On 13 February 2017 at 15:36, jon_r said:

. . . The middle row of seats is very much a 2 + 1 (2 full seats and 1 hump). Sadly with 3 kids there isn't room to ISOFIX 3 seats in place side by side. No problem, you think, there's seats 6 and 7 out back. You'd be right, but with a seat isofixed in place, you could actually access the back row. I'd send son number 1 in through the boot, but I don't want to have to unpack the boot everytime he gets in. 

Sadly this rendered it as practical as my current Octavia. I left slightly deflated . . .

Is is there anything out there other than an S Max that can take 3 Isofix seats?

(oops - just spotted the Grand Scenic comment above)

I'm looking at non-Isofix seats in the near future to give more flexibility for installing, specifically Recaro and Britax.

Edited by BoxerBoy

If that white Kodiaq is the car which we had here too. I recall somebody saying that it is a demo specked car so it does not reflect any production model exactly.

It is true that Finnish importer has extra model to offer, lets call it SSEELL like Beretta does it owns. It has quite much everything included from the list.

Price tag was somewhere between 55 and 60t€

Auxillary heater is Webasto and it is pretty usefull well.. anyday.

It can heat your car in less than 30min and ventilate the car during summer days too.
I took "winter kit" to my car, it includes remote controlled webasto, heated front window and some spare textile mats to car.

Seat heaters thank god are standard on all models here.

On 2/13/2017 at 16:36, jon_r said:

Top Teather system maybe? I dont quite understand those pages in manual about top teather and isofix....definitely it is a big shame that all 5 seats in the back dont have isofix and that secong row is 60/30, if no varioflex, than there should be three seats like in sharan.....cost saving!!!!