Superb MY18 news - when?

10 minutes ago, Blindek said:

The ex. Skoda designer said in a video interview, that they will announce the Digital Cockpit March / April 2017 und will be then available on one Car in 2017. No fixed date to when it will actually be available in any car. the Yeti II will be introduced this year so first Customers will get them in 2018. 

If you really want it now, buy a VW, or just live and enjoy the Analog ones since every Car Manufacturer will build LCD displays because its a lot cheaper to produce then Analog ones. But for now we are all crazy and even pay a lot extra for a screen with fancy graphics that don't show anything more then the Classic ones, except the Map :) As in my company Passat, i can see the map on the Nav unit, Dials and even HUD... its a total overkill on Information and find it very distracting.

Sure when we have Autonomous driving we can have stuff like the Tesla (17" Screen), but until then people should be looking on the Road more not on all the screens in there cars. 

U notice it even more if you ride a Motorcycle that people just don't know whats going on on the street...

Ok tnx for your info. So your gues is on the new yeti? The new yrti Will have production start Week 45 or 47 so an april launch sounds real.. 

19 hours ago, Blindek said:

......If you really want it now, buy a VW, or just live and enjoy the Analog ones since every Car Manufacturer will build LCD displays because its a lot cheaper to produce then Analog ones. But for now we are all crazy and even pay a lot extra for a screen with fancy graphics that don't show anything more then the Classic ones, except the Map :) ......

Agreed 100%. Been driving myself mad lately looking for my new car but looks like a Superb L&K 2.0TSI 220 is the one for me, despite not (yet) sporting the features of many of its competitors.

As impressive as Google Earth + online searches seem at 1st glance, it's clear that the new automotive business model is for lower margins on new cars but made up for with increased annual income from app sales / subscriptions. I also worry that a lot of this functionality will entail a lot of prodding at touch-screens, almost as bad as using a hand-held mobile.

As much as I hate being Google's bitch, I'd rather rely on the constantly evolving features of Android Auto (with constantly improving OK Google voice recognition) than pay an extortionate subscription for a system that is unlikely to keep pace.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-skoda-superb-facelift-gain-286bhp-range-topping-engine

This has been floating around for a good while now. My guess is that that an updated version will arrive imminently (most likely April time). Probably a mild facelift, and incorporating LED headlights and virtual cockpit etc.

It seems highly unlikely Skoda would offer that on anything other than its Flagship model first.

Just look at the Passat what it gets with MJ2018... nothing much, so Superb won't change to... I know for sure that the Rear Lights have Contract for orders up until mid 2019, so do other things on the Car... 

The Software on the MJ2017 Nav unit is already Different then on the MJ2016, so i doubt you will see any big changes there, also going for LED without Smart Light Assist, i doubt that :) And producing a completely new Headlight after 2 Years is also nonsense, since the Car sells very good. And there is NO difference in Superb Xenon SLA vs. Passat LED Dynamic Light Assist... it works the same, just that behind the Lens on the Superb there is a Xenon light, on the Passat a few LED, but for the always ON main beam it uses the same technology.

All this new stuff that people want on here cars is getting crazy, feels like there buying a new Smartphone not a Car... 

Here is a Video from Hella:

• Like 1

Well one thing I know is coming for the MY2018 is the new updated infotainment system in glas design like kodiaq and octavia facelift. Also Columbus Will have the bigger 9,2 inch. Also Skoda connect With the remote smartphone app Will be on the MY2018... Week 16 as Skoda CEO says virtual cockpit Will be available is in april. Same Week as the Shanghai motorshow. My new gues is that the new yeti Will have it fr.o.m. Launch. The superb fr.o.m. Week22 and kodiaq and octavia same as Seat Leon wil have virtual cockpit after built Week 45... do u think My analize Will be true? 

There's no doubt that the Superb will (eventually) get the new screen. I wish, however, that everyone would stop calling it 'virtual cockpit'.

Virtual cockpit is a lurrvly Audi software implementation - the screen is just a bit of hardware. In my search for my next car, the VW Tiguan has raised its head & the software implementation in that is quite underwhelming (& confusing in how to access the online data) compared to Audi.

I'll reserve judgement until I see Skoda's implementation - the current analogue instruments are great, the flatscreen replacement may or may not be better.

Edit p.s: I'd also like to say that the 'bigger' 9.2" screen is only bigger (I think) because the hard keys turn into soft keys & therefore become part of the display - I'd rather have the hard keys - discuss.

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, vtec to vrs! said:

It seems highly unlikely Skoda would offer that on anything other than its Flagship model first.

This is no longer true. The time of flagship models getting the latest tech 1st pre-dates my hair turning grey (& that was a long long time ago).

Doesn't seem to make sense at first but the problem, usually, is cramming the tech into the available space. This video explains (albeit on an Audi) from around 6:10 the situation:

1 hour ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

This is no longer true. The time of flagship models getting the latest tech 1st pre-dates my hair turning grey (& that was a long long time ago).

Doesn't seem to make sense at first but the problem, usually, is cramming the tech into the available space. This video explains (albeit on an Audi) from around 6:10 the situation:

I get your point, but the Q7 was on the market before the new A4? As was the TT and that got the virtual cockpit first.

Yes true. But yhe Audi A8, A7,A6 does not have the the Virtual Cockpit.. but the small q2 and facelift A3 has it. So I would not be supriesed if the new Yeti has it from launch.. I wait to make a new order.. 

12 hours ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

There's no doubt that the Superb will (eventually) get the new screen. I wish, however, that everyone would stop calling it 'virtual cockpit'.

Virtual cockpit is a lurrvly Audi software implementation - the screen is just a bit of hardware. In my search for my next car, the VW Tiguan has raised its head & the software implementation in that is quite underwhelming (& confusing in how to access the online data) compared to Audi.

I'll reserve judgement until I see Skoda's implementation - the current analogue instruments are great, the flatscreen replacement may or may not be better.

Edit p.s: I'd also like to say that the 'bigger' 9.2" screen is only bigger (I think) because the hard keys turn into soft keys & therefore become part of the display - I'd rather have the hard keys - discuss.

It's all to much for a Model year change... They will introduce the digital Cockpit, but it will be available 2018 or later... Seat CEO just said today they will be getting the digital Cockpit this year as 3rd in the VAG corporation. It will be introduced as a Preview in Geneva end March, but will be available 2018 / 2019 in serial production cars...

So that means, Skoda will maybe Introduce it also there, but Production cars get it later in 1 or 2 Years.

The new Infotainment was also shown more then 1 year back and just now made it into the new cars.

I just today had a look at the new Navi units in the Kodiaq and Octavia and as i said before, its a real fingerprint magnet! Also the normal Buttons are way more easy to use when driving.  

Software is the same as we know from MY2017 Superb! Just with Skoda Connect, for that u need to Connect your phone via HotSpot (on phone ofc) or buy a Data only Sim Card. That's the only difference! Oh and Google Street View that is useless and takes a lot of Data :) 

20170228_151534.jpg

Edited by Blindek
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Blindek said:

It's all to much for a Model year change... They will introduce the digital Cockpit, but it will be available 2018 or later... Seat CEO just said today they will be getting the digital Cockpit this year as 3rd in the VAG corporation. It will be introduced as a Preview in Geneva end March, but will be available 2018 / 2019 in serial production cars...

So that means, Skoda will maybe Introduce it also there, but Production cars get it later in 1 or 2 Years.

The new Infotainment was also shown more then 1 year back and just now made it into the new cars.

I just today had a look at the new Navi units in the Kodiaq and Octavia and as i said before, its a real fingerprint magnet! Also the normal Buttons are way more easy to use when driving.  

Software is the same as we know from MY2017 Superb! Just with Skoda Connect, for that u need to Connect your phone via HotSpot (on phone ofc) or buy a Data only Sim Card. That's the only difference! Oh and Google Street View that is useless and takes a lot of Data :) 

20170228_151534.jpg

Ok thanks for all info.. do you have a link to the SEAT CEO statement? 

Found a Article also in englisch. He doesn't speak here much about the Digital Cockpit, but below is a text wich says the Digital Cockpit is being Introduced right now on the MWC 2017 and will be ready for production cars 2018 / 2019. Auto Bild is 99% right about VAG cars, since they also showed a "preview" of the Octavia 3 Facelift 1 year ago before it was shown in real, and that picture was 90% accurate. Also the Manufactures usual take more time not less then predicted or rather told the Press :)

Why does everyone want a digital dash? The future will rather be a full HUD windshield :) 

Maybe i just don't get it since i use it for almost 2 years in the Passat and find no real use for it... rather like the Analog style in my Superb

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mwc-2017-highlights-11350127.html

Edited by Blindek
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 06:00, Skoda Al Coda said:

We are considering a Tiguan for our next car, 'cos it still uses the old Nav Pro unit, but you seem to be saying that the "virtual cockpit" is NBG.

As for online data, why would I need to access this while I'm driving?

Serious question,  & FYI, we don't want / need a car to be a mobile wifi hot-spot, good old bluetooth is all that we need..........

Confused DC

Why will we need these?  After all cars will soon be autonomous and we will only need a screen to watch the films or tv as the car drives itself.

Not that soon as you think... first cars maybe in 5 years but there i also the problem of laws, bad roads, bad weather, and people need to buy these cars to and they are not cheap :)

Id rather say 10-15 years from now it will be safe to use everyday, so around 2030 and that only on the Highway.

Oh dear I was hoping when my new car pitches up in a few weeks it will self drive. Bugger:blush:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bud said:

Oh dear I was hoping when my new car pitches up in a few weeks it will self drive. Bugger:blush:

With Lane Assist, ACC and DSG it a beginning :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blindek said:

With Lane Assist, ACC and DSG it a beginning :) 

Aye

And of course with the wife as Nag Nav as a no cost option things should be fine:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old newbie2 said:

We are considering a Tiguan for our next car, 'cos it still uses the old Nav Pro unit, but you seem to be saying that the "virtual cockpit" is NBG.

As for online data, why would I need to access this while I'm driving?

Serious question,  & FYI, we don't want / need a car to be a mobile wifi hot-spot, good old bluetooth is all that we need..........

Confused DC

NBG???

Apologies, I realise my post wasn't very helpful - what it really translates to is that I couldn't understand what is required to access the online data + Google Earth (which seems to be the thing that everyone raves about when seeing the Audi Virtual Cockpit). It didn't help that the salesperson I approached didn't seem to have a clue and/or couldn't be bothered. Must admit, I spat my dummy out a bit. 30 mins sat down with someone more helpful may change my view.

To be fair, saying the VW screen was underwhelming was just me being grumpy really. The VW TFT screen was quite pretty (just nowhere near as stunning as the Audi Virtual Cockpit) and, if you're not bothered about the on-line stuff & Google Earth, the data connection is irrelevant. The point I was really trying to make is that not all V.A.G. cars get Virtual Cockpit, that's an Audi name/design. They may all get the TFT screen, but each manufacturer will provide their own implementation.

I'm pretty sure that, if you want to get Google Earth in the Tiguan, you have to have: Nav Pro + 3 year (+ ongoing) subscription to E-Call + somehow provide the data yourself.

In other cars I've looked at, you could provide the data either by putting a SIM card into the car or by connecting a phone via RSAP (which might not be very future-proof). It seems, from the Tiguan brochure, however, that you may be able to (or have to) get it all via your mobile's hotspot. Salesperson couldn't tell me for sure & I hate hotspots anyway because: a ) I don't want to leave a hotspot enabled, and b ) I'd never remember to enable it each time I got into the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blindek said:

Why does everyone want a digital dash?

Because everyone falls in love with them when they 1st see them in all their glory.

I wouldn't not buy a car because it had one, but it's a damn cheek to be asked to pay extra for one when they're cheaper to produce than analogue gauges - particularly as you have to pay subscriptions on top to see the features they were really designed to showcase.

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 1