Superb MY18 news - when?

15 hours ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

NBG???

Apologies, I realise my post wasn't very helpful - what it really translates to is that I couldn't understand what is required to access the online data + Google Earth (which seems to be the thing that everyone raves about when seeing the Audi Virtual Cockpit). It didn't help that the salesperson I approached didn't seem to have a clue and/or couldn't be bothered. Must admit, I spat my dummy out a bit. 30 mins sat down with someone more helpful may change my view.

To be fair, saying the VW screen was underwhelming was just me being grumpy really. The VW TFT screen was quite pretty (just nowhere near as stunning as the Audi Virtual Cockpit) and, if you're not bothered about the on-line stuff & Google Earth, the data connection is irrelevant. The point I was really trying to make is that not all V.A.G. cars get Virtual Cockpit, that's an Audi name/design. They may all get the TFT screen, but each manufacturer will provide their own implementation.

I'm pretty sure that, if you want to get Google Earth in the Tiguan, you have to have: Nav Pro + 3 year (+ ongoing) subscription to E-Call + somehow provide the data yourself.

In other cars I've looked at, you could provide the data either by putting a SIM card into the car or by connecting a phone via RSAP (which might not be very future-proof). It seems, from the Tiguan brochure, however, that you may be able to (or have to) get it all via your mobile's hotspot. Salesperson couldn't tell me for sure & I hate hotspots anyway because: a ) I don't want to leave a hotspot enabled, and b ) I'd never remember to enable it each time I got into the car.

Thank you.

I suspect that Google Maps might be a good substitute for the VW mapping, if only for the up-to-date traffic info.

There have to be some "obvious to the driver" distinctions between the VW brands , otherwise we'ed all be buying Skodas'............

FWIW, I'w quite happy with the analogue dials + MFD on our current fleet, & dislike the transfer of simple functions such as varying the brightness of the instrument lighting from a roller switch to the central infotainment screen, but I'm sure that it's deemed to be "progress" !

DC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old newbie2 said:

I suspect that Google Maps might be a good substitute for the VW mapping, if only for the up-to-date traffic info.

Couldn't agree more.

Sincerest apologies if this is egg-sucking preaching but, Google Maps / Traffic (note Maps not Earth - though you can overlay satellite imagery if your data plan can handle it [though satellite 'hops' on my phone] ) is all available via Android Auto. Google voice recognition (for me) is now almost perfect & no need to muck about with WLAN, additional SIM, or subscriptions.

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
Maps vs Earth distinction
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oykkh said:

Here is a pic of the new Columbus 9.2 inch on the superb.. 

IMG_0427.PNG

Does anyone know when the Columbus with the 9.2 inch, became available on the Superb, and if it is available, has Skoda Connect also become available ?

13 hours ago, Oykkh said:

Here is a pic of the new Columbus 9.2 inch on the superb.. 

IMG_0427.PNG

Where did this image come from?  Also it appears there's a new (uglier IMO) gear shifter for the DSG..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Enobar said:

Where did this image come from?  Also it appears there's a new (uglier IMO) gear shifter for the DSG..

It's from skoda Youtube Chanel..  They also  posted a pic on fb. Yes it has skoda connect.  Will it also get trailer assist like the kodiaq and Octavia.  Maybe also Virtual Cockpit? 

I hope that shifter is a joke? It makes sense on the Kodiaq, with its more rugged 'nature', but on the Superb, it's just awful.

And personally, I'm not a fan of the new entertainment setup. I don't like the glossy screen without physical buttons...

Might be time to get around ordering that S3 around now, instead of putting it off...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kriva said:

......And personally, I'm not a fan of the new entertainment setup. I don't like the glossy screen without physical buttons...

Might be time to get around ordering that S3 around now, instead of putting it off...

+1

Though I don't lose too much sleep over what shifters look like, as long as they work.

2 hours ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

+1

Though I don't lose too much sleep over what shifters look like, as long as they work.

For me, the shifter shape(?) is more important the the look. It's a tactile thing, especially if ever you drive in manual mode.

l still prefer a "T" shifter to the current VW / Skoda thing, & as for the design on the new A4............ 

DC

12 minutes ago, RickTT said:

The Superb seems to be the car which is having radical changes year by year..  dread to think the resale value of the first MY16 cars

For me that point is somewhat irrelevant.  I mean, you could say the same 2/3 years down the line for MY18 cars.  They're all history at some point. 

16 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

For me that point is somewhat irrelevant.  I mean, you could say the same 2/3 years down the line for MY18 cars.  They're all history at some point. 

Yes, but some of the changes of MY16 cars v MY17 v possible MY18 changes are fairly radical.. ie the infotainment screen size for starters...

1 hour ago, RickTT said:

The Superb seems to be the car which is having radical changes year by year..  dread to think the resale value of the first MY16 cars

When I sell mine the value will be going back up !! :-D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RickTT said:

That assumes that every buyer is a 'petrolhead' and would even bother to check that sort of thing when buying. My guess is that most buyers of 3 to 5 year old cars would not be that bothered by an extra inch ;-)

3 year residuals on fleetnews are showing at 30-35% for current popular models. I seem to remember they were a few points higher when the S3 first launched. So ?????

• Like 1

That was the Prototype on that the Superb is based on... Your years too late :) 

And yes, Skoda will get Electric cars in a few years, just like everyone else

2 minutes ago, Blindek said:

That was the Prototype on that the Superb is based on... Your years too late :) 

And yes, Skoda will get Electric cars in a few years, just like everyone else

It is the Article from today and they talk about the Shanghai show in April 2017, so if someone is late, it is they, not me :)

5 hours ago, Sagalout said:

That assumes that every buyer is a 'petrolhead' and would even bother to check that sort of thing when buying. My guess is that most buyers of 3 to 5 year old cars would not be that bothered by an extra inch ;-)

3 year residuals on fleetnews are showing at 30-35% for current popular models. I seem to remember they were a few points higher when the S3 first launched. So ?????

My local Skoda dealers don't seem to know what is standard spec, or option extra's on the current cars, let alone if they keep changing. Skoda configurator is the same, you can add extras to some models that you already get in the standard spec.

Spoke to a dealer today and he said if I finalise my spec and order now I am looking at build week 21. Does that mean if I don't get my act together I am going to end up with one of those large screens instead of buttons and the chunky gear lever? To be honest I don't like either.

The screen looks snazzy and at first glance I was jealous I didn't have it... but it commits a cardinal sin in my opinion - I hate, hate, HATE it when they do away with proper knobs for the volume (or move it to a dumb spot like between the front seats.  I don't mind the idea of other touch sensitive buttons, but the touch buttons for volume would do my head in.

Also I don't know if thats just a different (ugly) shifter still with a regular shift gate or an electronic model but the electronic ones can be reaaallly annoying.  I drove a Chrysler 300C a while ago (a rental car) and i wanted to push it off a bridge due to its stupid shifter after a week with it.  Plus, I think a 300C might actually look more attractive after being pushed off a bridge, but thats just my opinion ;-)