Hello all,

I have a standard VRS 2.0 TSI 220 Octavia (totally standard) and it sounds great inside, when in sport mode. How can I make it sound good from outside too, without spending much money? I've heard about removing the silent pipe (or something like that, I'm not very technical). I've had a look at miltek exhausts, but they're waaaaay too expensive. 

If I can make it pop when I change gear too, that'd be a massive bonus.

It's a manual too, if that's any help.

Many thanks

T

You can change the sound by cutting out the mid resonator, and either fit a more sporty one or just straight pipe. That and and Induction kit is probably the cheapest option. You can DIY it for maybe £3-500 depending on what you go for (that's induction kit and resonator delete).

Can thoroughly recommend Scorpion. They did the development for the exhaust on my car when the Mk3 first came out.

I've got the cat back only exhaust and they will adapt the resonater to suit what you want. Mine sounds the same outside as it does inside with the sound generator in sport mode.

Call Scorpion for a chat, 01773744123, ask for Martin Lomas he'll answer all your questions.

1 hour ago, banksie said:

Can thoroughly recommend Scorpion. They did the development for the exhaust on my car when the Mk3 first came out.

I've got the cat back only exhaust and they will adapt the resonater to suit what you want. Mine sounds the same outside as it does inside with the sound generator in sport mode.

Call Scorpion for a chat, 01773744123, ask for Martin Lomas he'll answer all your questions.

Can I ask, do you find there is a drone in the cabin from the exhaust on the Motorway sitting at 60/70MPH?

I didn't realise they could do a cat-back only, might look into this. Thanks for the contact details. 

15 minutes ago, StuFan said:

Can I ask, do you find there is a drone in the cabin from the exhaust on the Motorway sitting at 60/70MPH?

No difference to when you have sound generator in sport.

Don't think you'll be able to get noise without noise if you know what I mean!

Edited by banksie

14 minutes ago, banksie said:

No difference to when you have sound generator in sport.

Don't think you'll be able to get noise without noise if you know what I mean!

Is yours resonated or non-resonated? You don't also happen to have any videos outside the VRS? 

Cheers

Mine is resonated. If you've driven with the back seats down on your car on the motorway then it sounds like that when the exhaust is fitted and the seats are up!

Here is a link to Scorpion FAQ section. https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/faq

I have tried to record it in the past but it doesn't really come out good.

This is what it looks like fitted.

IMG_20140623_184554_959.jpg

IMG_20140623_184534_289.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@banksie - I have the VRS 230 (manual), and have been advised by Volks Autos (Sutton) that Scorpion is the one to go for.

Looking at a turbo-back system, incl. downpipe, sports cat., and non-resonated. (obviously not going to be cheap, but then again this is a long-termer, so stage 1 / 2 remap is also on the cards...). Not too worried about internal drone as it'll drown out the road-noise anyway, which is preferable.

Sounds like you've had good experience with it - anything particular to note re: installation / running in / maintenance that they mentioned? I've heard nothing but good things from various sources, but just wanted to check before making the call.

11 hours ago, Ads230 said:

@banksie - I have the VRS 230 (manual), and have been advised by Volks Autos (Sutton) that Scorpion is the one to go for.

Looking at a turbo-back system, incl. downpipe, sports cat., and non-resonated. (obviously not going to be cheap, but then again this is a long-termer, so stage 1 / 2 remap is also on the cards...). Not too worried about internal drone as it'll drown out the road-noise anyway, which is preferable.

Sounds like you've had good experience with it - anything particular to note re: installation / running in / maintenance that they mentioned? I've heard nothing but good things from various sources, but just wanted to check before making the call.

No problems whatsoever. Just had Scorpion take the exhaust off this one to be put on my new vRS next week. Scorpion couldn't have been more helpful in the transfer.

On 28/01/2017 at 19:25, M12MKD said:

You can change the sound by cutting out the mid resonator, and either fit a more sporty one or just straight pipe. That and and Induction kit is probably the cheapest option. You can DIY it for maybe £3-500 depending on what you go for (that's induction kit and resonator delete).

Has anyone actually done just a straight resonator delete? I remember a post on here a while ago where a member tried out a couple of different after market resonators (not just a simple resonator delete) and it sounded pretty good.

I've had an approx cost quoted from Infinity Exhausts to replace the resonator of just £80 so I'm seriously considering this as a very cheap option for a more sportier sound - by comparison they also quoted by £380 for a full custom cat back stainless steel system which is also very tempting (less than half the price of a Miltek!).....

Food for thought.....

13 minutes ago, Brooksuk said:

Has anyone actually done just a straight resonator delete? I remember a post on here a while ago where a member tried out a couple of different after market resonators (not just a simple resonator delete) and it sounded pretty good.

I've had an approx cost quoted from Infinity Exhausts to replace the resonator of just £80 so I'm seriously considering this as a very cheap option for a more sportier sound - by comparison they also quoted by £380 for a full custom cat back stainless steel system which is also very tempting (less than half the price of a Miltek!).....

Food for thought.....

Apart from that one member you said, no I don't think so. It's popular on the golf mk7. But again the sound change isn't to everyone's taste.

If money wasn't a factor, me personally I would go for a full system by Remus or x-bull.

Both sound amazing! But in excess of 1300 quid plus

I am that forum member :)

Never replace the OEM resonator with just a straight pipe, there will be drone and resonance.

After further observation, turns out there is a baffled in the middle of the OEM resonator, this is part of the reason stock car sounded really quiet.

I've settled with 18 inch stainless steel packed resonator and is pretty happy with the sound inside the cabin. There is a DSG burp at gearshift, not as loud as GTI but it's there. Pretty loud burp at higher rpm shift and WOT though.

• Like 2

Btw, if you are going to change the resonator, best to crawl underneath the car and check how the pipe is set-up. Newer built has a sleeve joint at each corner of the mid pipe, no need to cut anything to remove the mid-pipe. My car had one solid pipe after turbo downpipe to the back muffler.

The Remus exhausts do look immense ... but I'm not sure I could justify £1400 (including the remote flap opening) for an exhaust.

I'll probably end up going the Scorpion route - had a Scorpion RS192 on my old Clio 182 and it was fantastic. Great build quality, fit and sound.

• Like 2

Yeah definitely agree with you both, it is a lot of money, scorpion, bull x or even custom stainless steel would be the next route I suppose, even thou a milltek exhaust sounds nice it does rust very easy & again suppose the price of a milltek is just as much as the Remus.

• Like 1

Reza please do us a huge favour, and remind us what the sizes and length spec of the Vibrant is please, I've been watching some for ages on ebay and never pushed to buy due to not knowing the best one to go for

7 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

Reza please do us a huge favour, and remind us what the sizes and length spec of the Vibrant is please, I've been watching some for ages on ebay and never pushed to buy due to not knowing the best one to go for

Would also be interested to know this @99Reza  Sounds good from the video, like OEM but a bit more grunt :)

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

This is from discussion from last year I've failed to act upon yet ( although still in warranty anyway etc).

- If you are going vibrant route, try obtaining the large diameter bottle style resonator (17930 model instead of 1793)

- 18 inch resonator

- The stainless steel pack one is Vibrant Performance one, http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1033. It's the bottle style resonator,

(link is dead)

This could be a cheaper substitute of the same

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Exhaust-Silencer-4-Round-x-2-5-bore-x-18-Long-Stainless-Steel-Box-/220566353977?hash=item335ac77839:g:90cAAOSw44BYGwpW

• Like 1